Curb appeal...how important is it?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Curb appeal...how important is it?

curb.jfif

I have seen a few discussions from guests and hosts talking about the exterior of spaces and got to wondering, how important is curb appeal? When you first approach the listing, whether its a condo, apartment, shared home or full space stay, is the outside first impression a make or break to the overall experience? What if you have a listing where the exterior is managed by someone else? What if the exterior looks bad, but the interior has been updated and decorated to the highest standard?

Hosts, how much energy do you spend on curb appeal? And for those of use who have stayed as guests, has the exterior visual of a space predisposed you to leave a better rating or feel you had a better experience? Interested to see what people think!

5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Laura2592  First impressions always matter psychologically, I think. Most hosts who have control over what the  outside looks like do try to keep it at least looking kempt, even if it's not anything fancy, I'd imagine. I know I make sure the entranceway is tidy, the paths swept or raked, the grass mowed, etc, when I have a guest arriving.

A lot of people aren't particularly observant, and may not be able to pinpoint the exact things that gave them an initial less than favorable first impression, but it registers in a general way regardless. ( I'm reminded of an upholstery client I had who has a vacation home here, that gets rented out when she doesn't use it, who asked me to pick out tiles, decorations, mirrors, etc. for her in her absence as the house was being finished. She said she knew what she liked when she saw it, but she had no idea of how to achieve a certain look- that sort of eye for decor just wasn't part of the way her brain worked. Hard for people like us, who focus on details to fathom.)

For sure not every host has control over the outside of what the entrance to their listing looks like. If it's not that great looking, hosts should definitely make that known in their listing description, just like disclosing other things a host can't control- traffic noise, neighbors with junked cars in the yard, or barking dogs. Much better to ward off the complainers than to make one's property sound absolutely perfect (which almost no place is- there's almost always trade-offs) and get complaints.

When mentioning the warts, I think that some humor is a good way to get that sort of thing across. Not only will it help the host not to wring their hands, afraid to mention it in case it loses them bookings, it can change the way guests might react. Instead of acting like it's something serious to mark a host down on, it makes it sound like something too silly to take issue with.

"Prince trapped in the body of a frog", "I created a silk purse inside a sow's ear! "  or something along those lines keeps it light and sets the stage for realistic expectations.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Laura2592,

The country where the rental is located plays a large part in the importance and impression of the exterior.  For example, in many Latin American countries, the exterior of homes are often purposely unappealing to dissuade burglaries and vandalism, but they can be quite stunning once you pass the entrance.  Many post-WWII buildings in Europe are unattractive IMO, because more consideration was given for quick availability vs. quaint aesthetics.  However, many modern-day residents/owners have made significant renovations to the interiors.  Lastly, if I've chosen to stay in a highly urban area that isn't the tony neighborhood, I'm very likely look over some random graffiti, and keep an alert eye on what people are doing immediately around the rental.

Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

Curb appeal is important. I've pulled up outside many weedy, unkempt yards… only to find  a darling airbnb inside. I don't mark hosts down for lack of curb appeal. I think it's hard to keep weeds at bay …especially for hosts who are not onsite. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Travelers have many different reasons for traveling and those reasons play into the importance of curb appeal.  The business traveler is more interested in the function of a listing, e.g. location and ease of transportation and working WIFI.  The pleasure traveler might seek a sense of adventure in an urban setting so city noise, graffiti, dirt are a part of that adventure.  Other travelers seek beauty and charm perhaps as a change of pace from their "regular" life.  As hosts we are marketing to many different types of travelers so we need to support the expectations of our target guests.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Laura2592 

My opinion...

Relate curb appeal as if you have the property listed for sale.  This mentality will help keep your listing fresh and appealing because there are usually options to improve.  Just my opinion.