Curious about exeriences with booking one bedroom only in your own home....

Rosalind41
Level 8
Abbeville, SC

Curious about exeriences with booking one bedroom only in your own home....

Hi,

My husband and I are empty nesters with 3 empty bedrooms upstairs.  He is reluctant to list them on Airbnb, but I'm not.  We already rent out a full house other than our own that so far is going well.

Could anyone who books one  - three bedrooms with 2 bathrooms (or around that number) in their own home in which they live in, share their experiences with this (both positive and negative).  

All would be helpful in making this decision to proceed or not.

Thanks!

17 Replies 17
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I offer a bedroom in my house with a shared bathroom, so no help with your question from the host side, but I have booked lots of places like yours as a guest, @Rosalind41 , and it seems to work well. 

It's nice when there is a common space - living room, patio, or kitchen - where anyone who wants to socialize with the rest of the household and other guests can do so. It's a little less fun when you are expected to always remain in your room, but that works just fine when all you need is a place to sleep. 

Regarding reluctant partners, my husband was reluctant when I Airbnb'd the bedroom, and so I open the calendar for it only selectively. He has come around a bit, having met the nice guests. 

Thanks @Lawrene0 .   Does your guest have a private or shared-with-you entrance (s)?  

The entrance to the house is shared, @Rosalind41 . Nearly everything is shared - except the bedroom. That's all theirs. 

With most of the places I mentioned staying in as a guest, the entrances have been shared. I seldom book anything with a private entrance. It costs more, and it is not something I need. 

Melanie33
Level 8
Ashcott, United Kingdom

Hi 

We rent out one bedroom with its own bathroom in our home and mostly really enjoy the experience.  I would say though that if you are serious about doing this I would just try with one room first and see how you get on.  You may find you feel uncomfortable with strangers in your home  

so I would start slowly. 

I like that idea of start slowly @Melanie33 !

Terri38
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

I rent two of my bedrooms (I live in the third).  One of those rooms has its own bathroom.  The other is the bathroom shared with me.

I have been doing this for just over three years now and it seems to work.

All guests are welcome to hang out in the lounge and dining areas.  Sometimes it can get a bit cosy but when everyone is joining in the conversation or eating a meal together, it's great for all of us.

All the best!

That's fantastic  @Terri38 Terri38.  Sounds like it is working well for you!  Yes, I agree that there should be some shared areas.

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

@Rosalind41, I’m renting a room in my home, just one. Bathroom is shared. But I do not allow guests to cook in my kitchen so I keep more control over the space and do not have trouble with dirty stove, oven, pans etc. You can try with one room, but put very clearly what is for guests and what is not. You will need to be very firm or you will feel yourself like a furniture in your own house:) 

@Yulianna0 where do your guests cook?  I agree on the 'firmness' issue.

@Rosalind41, as they stay 1-3 days, there is no need to cook. But I include breakfast and they can warm precooked food in microwave. 

Rosalind41
Level 8
Abbeville, SC

@Lawrene0 @Melanie33 @Terri38 @Yulianna0 

Do you rent out your rooms long-term through Airbnb?

Or do you rent out your rooms on more frequent short-term stays through Airbnb?

Thanks!

@Rosalind41 I rent out a room in my small shared home. My guests can max. rent 4 days. If you get a not so great guest it is nice to know that the guest is gone within a couple of days. I would definitely recommend to set a max on days when you are new :-).

You can take a look at the others listings by pressing their profile picture. From there you will find a link to the airbnb profiles. 

Best, Sandra 

Never long-term, @Rosalind41 . That's part of the reluctant-husband deal 🙂

My maximum is three nights in the bedroom in the house. We mostly get people who are passing through. It is longer for the treehouse, since that is a separate space, and booked more often as a getaway. 

@Rosalind41 

Short term works for us. 

Most people travelling through or visiting relatives. Some just for a short break.