Currently hosting the most clean and tidy guests I've ever had...

Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

Currently hosting the most clean and tidy guests I've ever had...

I joined Airbnb as a host last November. Currently I'm hosting the most clean and tidy guests I have ever had. The two guests are a mother and her teenage daughter from China. 

Before they checked in, I sent them "Things to know," "House Rules and House Etiquette," and "Frequently Asked Questions," and reminded them to read all of them carefully when it was close to their check-in date. On the day they checked in, I gave them an on-site orientation. They listened carefully and swore to me that they would follow all the rules.

Previous female guests left so much long fallen hair everywhere especially after brushing or combing their hair, on the bathroom floor, bedroom floor, on and inside of the duvet, on the pillows, on the area rugs... Trust me, your washing machine and tumbler dryer won't get rid of all of them; technically I would need to examine and remove all the hair manually.

But these two guests, both with long hair, leave not one single hair in the bathroom or in common areas. I hold my newly bought V8 Dyson vaccum cleaner and examine every corner in my house that they have been to and I find not one single hair. Yesterday morning, I saw a cluster of long fallen hair in the toilet bowl and I flushed them.  Apparently, they had cleaned the floor and collected their own fallen hair and thrown them into the toilet bowl.

I also check my kitchen after they have used it. It is spotless. 

They are the most clean and tidy guests I have ever had. Thorough communication has played an instrumental role in this. I will buy them a dessert over the weekend. 

21 Replies 21
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Somtimes our guests really surprise us in a nice way 🙂 I know that feeling

Alexandros9
Level 3
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Hopefully they won't clean their luggage with your towels 🙂

Hahaha

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

Nice post, @Huaai0.

FYI, don't flush hair down the toilet even if you have city sewer.

Hair wreaks havoc and affects treatments plants.

Hair should go into the garbage and that is one of my house rules.  Just thought you might want to know that.

lol

@Wendy-and-Frank0 Thanks. Just bought a new plunger + toilet brush set today. wanna keep everything neat.

2017-03-23 22.51.50.jpg

Tony-and-Liza0
Level 3
Lake View, NY

Huai-Dhawa,

We're new, and if you're willing to share, we would love to see examples of your "Things to know," "House Rules and House Etiquette," and "Frequently Asked Question". It sounds as though you've got everything covered! Thanks in advance 🙂

Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

@Tony-and-Liza0

Well, there are many templates/examples on the Internet that you can download and modify according to your specificity. Here is an example of my Houseguest Etiquette, which has been revised repeately according to new issues that emerge associated with individual habits and cultural differences.

1. Say "Hi" and exchange such pleasantries as "How are you?" and "How was your day?" whenever you run into someone in the house, be it your host or your fellow resident or a visitor. Some guests in the past from different cultures simply look away when they run into someone in the house, which is considered a little weird and even rude in North America.

2. Ask about house rules. Most guests would ask about certain house rules, such as curfew. This shows their respect for and consideration of other residents, which is very nice.

3. If you are not sure about anything, ask first. If you have done something you are not sure about, explain afterwards. Each house is different, and may have certain functions/features you are not familiar with. Do not attempt to guess if you are not sure about anything. Simply ask me. And I will be always happy to answer.

4. Conserve towels and linens. I do provide several towels and prepare extra linens. Most guests would just use one during their stay. Some guests bring their own bath towel and linen, which is also what I would do whey I stay at a hotel.

5. Bring your own toiletries. Most guests use their own toiletries. However, a couple of guests I had before used another resident's toiletries without asking, so that we had to put a label on his personal effects. I do provide basic toiletries, but using other people's personal toiletries without their consent is not encouraged.

6. Respect common areas. I have not observed big problems in this regard. Most of my guests respect common areas. However, some male guests stand up to urinate and may leave urine stains on the toilet and the floor, which is not respectful to the next user. So I have put a sit-to-urinate label on the toilet tank. I do clean the guest bathroom on a daily basis, but I'm unable to clean it right after each person's use. So, guests are encouraged to maintain the cleanliness right after their use.

7. If you enjoyed your stay, leave a thank-you note or a great review. My family and friends all joke that I'm doing Airbnb almost like charity because my prices are among the lowest in Metro Vancouver, and what I earn can barely cover all bills. The reason my prices are good is because I'm a newbie in the business and I'm accumulating positive reviews. I try to be a great host and I hope my guests know it and appreciate what I offer.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great overview @Huaai0 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hi, I'm new here.  If you throw hair into toilet bowl or sink, the hair will accumulate there, the hair will clog the toilet bowl or sink. It's better to throw fallen hair into trash bin. It's a suggestion from someone who's also a clean person. 

Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

Oh My God. I have been hosting this mother and daughter for nearly a week now. Guess what? They have become my house cleaners. Yesterday evening, I was trying to clean the guest bathroom, when the mother came and stopped me, saying, "Please let me do it." We had a great chat afterwards. Knowing I have taught at three universities, she asked me a lot about programs, admissions, and so on, because her daughter will be graduating high school soon. 

@Huaai0

That sounds very lucky for you to have met such a nice and tidy guest.... and that her own character (rather than your house rules) allows her to look after you as well. I hope you are either paying her to be your 'house cleaner' or reducing her rent.

Best Wishes.

Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

@Rachael26 Not to worry, I have bought them dessert. They also told me that they felt my place was way too underpriced compared to Airbnb in  China. 

Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

@Rachael26 Speaking of her "own character," hmmm, she told me that she used to be a policewomen in China, no wonder.