DAY 3: Was it Worth it!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

DAY 3: Was it Worth it!

Most of us want a challenge in life, challenging ourselves keeps us young, something I didn’t really care much about until this last few years.

Nine years ago we bought a derelict house; we were getting near the end of our travelling having spent most of our retirement nest-egg!

Most things in life are not really a challenge because, we get someone else to fulfil that challenge…it is our idea, but someone else’s effort. I didn’t want this property to be like that, I wanted to actually do everything I possibly could myself.

This was the state of the listing cottage the day we took over the main property in Oct 2009. 

101.jpg

It was just an old brick garage that water flowed through every time it rained.

Garage 2.png

The roof had fallen in, various animals had moved in and I wouldn’t put a sack of potatoes in there, let alone a guest!

Garage 2009.png

And here was that rear garden of ours.

P1010567.JPG

By 2012 Airbnb was just getting off the ground here, it was a vague curio, a bit  like brains and walnut sandwiches…something we had heard about, but were not sure we really wanted to try!

On the limited budget I had left, I put the effort in. Sometimes I would spend a couple days to a week doing something and then one night in bed calmly resolve to pull it all down again because, I maybe could have done it a bit better!

Was it worth it?

It has been worth it 232 times over and growing!

Guests 3.png

I feel really lucky that, like brains and walnut sandwiches I decided to give Airbnb a try. At times the company drives me bloody mad, but my many journeys on the Airbnb Ocean have been journeys of discovery and they have given the latter years of this ol’codger’s life a sense of purpose and filled with many nice memories!

Thanks Airbnb

IMG20181118191231.jpg

43 Replies 43
Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Robin4 the transformation of your listing is AMAZING! 🙂 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Paul1255

A building is just 4 walls without people  Paul!

Airbnb and guests have made this listing what it is....barely a night goes past here without fun, laughter, a bit of food and a wine or two....most nights, the planets line up!

Cheers......Rob

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

100% true @Robin4 ! 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aww @Robin4, what a lovely post. 🙂

Over the years that we have known each other here in the CC, I have heard lots of amazing things about the work you both have put into your home (including the recent bathroom and man-cave). It is a beautiful home you have created and I am sure many lucyk Airbnb guests have enjoyed being part of the journey. 

Keep up the great work Robin and continue to enjoy those special moments there. 

(Thanks for being part of our Month of Celebration).

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Robin4 Ole Codger................I had a good laugh. Thanks for sharing what I am sure is a big chunk of heart and soul that was put into and continues to be put into your lovely place. How sweet to thank them all - I would just bet they are even more thankful than you, if that's possible - the spread you lay out is very very impressive and the welcome has to be tops. May you and Ade continue for a very long time, thriving, laughing, and spreading around some of the best there is - YOU BOTH!

Blessings, Clara

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Clara116

I cannot begin to tell you how much time when into compiling, cross-referencing and going from Calendar to message stream and personal phone to put that guest list together Clara.

I only left out 2. One was Anita who called me 'creepy' and left after 2 hours and the other was Saxon who created more damage in the cottage than Hannibal would have with his 40 elephants crossing the Alps into Italy.

Ade is on a continual downhill spiral Clara but, we still have a laugh and every day we get to sit out in the late afternoon sun, hold hands and have a drink or two.

Cheers......Rob

@Robin4 I am indeed so sorry for the challenge and struggles Ade is having - you as well. Cause we know that those diseases are not just the person but family often too. So glad to read that you take time to do those special things - in the end, it is for certain, All about Love! 

I never in 13 yrs with hospice patients heard one say about wanting to work, or such - it was always about minutes left with the ones that they loved.

May God bless you both and give you much wonderful time together until time is up.

big cheers and a hug to you both, Clara

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Wow, what a transformation @Robin4!

Your home looks like a gem! I think I've mentioned this many times but Robin, I would really like to have a garden :-). 

(+the cheese and wine on your table) 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Quincy

Quincy, I said it before in another post, with my listing I promote the opportunity to relax.......and throughout my life I have found there is nothing more relaxing than friends, food, a nice wine and a garden!

IMG20181128163305 b.jpg

It is natures way of saying....thankyou!

Cheers.....Rob

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I second that @Robin4

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Beautiful!

@Casita-By-The-Texas-Bay0

Thanks guys, the effort all round is rewarding, you get a sense of achievement in doing it, looking at it and feeling, it's a piece of you....and the guests, wow. I only included the Airbnb guests I have had since I have been with Airbnb in that list.

I also left out any guest's partners who were not specifically named. I don't feel we have the right to take liberties and mention names we have not been specifically invited to. I would never want to be the source of union discord by some silly throw away line...that's their business, not mine!

I did not include any of the other 70 reservations I have had through other channels, the only guests mentioned there were through Airbnb!

Hey, congratulations on a wonderful listing yourselves guys, you should be so proud of that. You present it wonderfully, and that pier at sunrise shot is just stunning.

You are going to go a long way here....good on you!

Cheers......Rob

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Robin4

Gardeners live longer. It's a fact.

@Quincy

I know it's a tough one in London, but some day, get yourself a garden, even if it's a little one. It's not just about sitting in it and enjoying it, nice as that is when we occasionally get the weather for it here, but about creating, curating and caring for it. It's hard work, but so therapeutic. In the Summer months at least, I try to get gardening whenever I am in a bad mood or stressed about something and that something seems to just slip away.

I am certainly nowhere near @Robin4 in his efforts though, although I aspire to be!

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hey @Robin4
I look up to you! I like persons that loves changing things to make it better, that are always seeking to make everything better!
Your listing is wonderful, everything.. exterior with wounderful gardens and beautiful well planned interior!
Cheers
J Renato