DAY 3: Was it Worth it!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

DAY 3: Was it Worth it!

Most of us want a challenge in life, challenging ourselves keeps us young, something I didn’t really care much about until this last few years.

Nine years ago we bought a derelict house; we were getting near the end of our travelling having spent most of our retirement nest-egg!

Most things in life are not really a challenge because, we get someone else to fulfil that challenge…it is our idea, but someone else’s effort. I didn’t want this property to be like that, I wanted to actually do everything I possibly could myself.

This was the state of the listing cottage the day we took over the main property in Oct 2009. 

101.jpg

It was just an old brick garage that water flowed through every time it rained.

Garage 2.png

The roof had fallen in, various animals had moved in and I wouldn’t put a sack of potatoes in there, let alone a guest!

Garage 2009.png

And here was that rear garden of ours.

P1010567.JPG

By 2012 Airbnb was just getting off the ground here, it was a vague curio, a bit  like brains and walnut sandwiches…something we had heard about, but were not sure we really wanted to try!

On the limited budget I had left, I put the effort in. Sometimes I would spend a couple days to a week doing something and then one night in bed calmly resolve to pull it all down again because, I maybe could have done it a bit better!

Was it worth it?

It has been worth it 232 times over and growing!

Guests 3.png

I feel really lucky that, like brains and walnut sandwiches I decided to give Airbnb a try. At times the company drives me bloody mad, but my many journeys on the Airbnb Ocean have been journeys of discovery and they have given the latter years of this ol’codger’s life a sense of purpose and filled with many nice memories!

Thanks Airbnb

IMG20181118191231.jpg

43 Replies 43
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@J-Renato0

Thanks Jóse, that means a lot coming from you mate. It's not the Taj Mahal but my hope is that it offers value for what guests pay. And that is hard in Australia because, by world standards this is an expensive country. Much of the rest of the world do not see what we offer here as 'value'!

I have a nice gallery of guest photos now....most shots with the dog in them somewhere. She should have starred in a TV series, this dog! Every time the phone camera comes out she finds a way into the photo somehow or other!

I hope all good for you and Ana there in Rio Jóse.

Cheers.....Rob

@Robin4  We knew it'd be an interesting story and can understand how proud you are of what you've achieved. Homes need lots of love and care, don't they? Your garden is just amazing, so colourful and bright & so glad Ade is able to share it with you ( was wondering how she was doing). 

We also have a garden, wait ! what am I saying we've got 2 ! One here at our home full of mainly geraniums & a raggedy bunch of assorted creatures ( all rescued, mainly from rubbish bins, the geraniums, too) and the other at the villa which is rather more sculptured & stylish.

Thanks for the read, Rob.

@Βασίλης-and-Ann0

Hello to you Ann and to Vassili....or other way around, I never quite know, but I have a fair idea it is you who pounds the keys Ann!

Ahh, the 'blue collar' plant....the working mans garden delight...the Geranium, we love them Ann. I would have 20 different varieties here from the Pelargonium Australe end of the spectrum through climbers to the dwarf end.

They are great plants because they will run on the smell of a damp sponge, and they continue to reward you all year round. Here are just a few.....

Pelargonium, not the best example they come and goPelargonium, not the best example they come and go

This is a dwarf variety, has very thick flower stems and only grows to about 30 Cms

once again not the best florally but next week it will look great againonce again not the best florally but next week it will look great again

This climber is right up onto the roof.

IMG20181204093200.jpg

We are starting get into our own hybrids now. This one has two distinct coloured flowers on the one bush. Next year we will have some more outrageous colour combinations now we know how to strike them!

Our own HybridOur own Hybrid

And there are some good multi colours  about. This one is called ' Lipstick' which we are combining with a bright pink

Another HybridAnother Hybrid

And we have dozens  of roses from the tiniest miniatures to the massive incredibly strong perfumed 'Oklahoma'....but that's another story.

Good on you guys....and thanks Ann.

Cheers.....Rob

Βασίλης & Ann

@Robin4@Kristy43@Rebecca160@Casita-By-The-Texas-Bay0@Jeet0@Quincy@Lizzie and others

It's lovely to see someone else who grows Geraniums as they are very easy to grow, simply snip a piece off and pop it into the soil, water regularly with some shower water and watch them bloom!

@Robin4It's always delightful to see photographs of your garden

Best

Wow!!! I love your garden and your story is so inspiring 🙂

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Jeet0

You and I Jeet, we are old hands here, aren't we mate!

Great to see you come back every now and then and always lovely to read your posts.

Coming from your part of the world you bring a very important perspective to hosting that many of us western hosts learn a lot from....your culture, your lovely food...gee, we have had a few great food posts in the past, haven't we!!

Thanks Jeet for being who you are, and bringing what you do to the CC, we are the richer for you mate!

Cheers.....Rob

Oh, thanks a lot for your kind words, Robin. I miss being active on CC as much as I used to be, my current job doesn't allow me that much time. But I try my level best. I usually go through the trending posts and it is great to see your posts being featured so often. You play such a big part in keeping this community strong and running, we are lucky to have here.

Cheer! Have a great holiday season. 

Rebecca160
Level 10
Albuquerque, NM

@Robin4 Wow! I knew that you had put a lot into your sweet abode, but had no idea just how much. I so very much want to go and visit you and Ade and spend time chilling in your garden.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Rebecca160

The door is open for you and there will always be a comfortable seat in the garden Bec.

The garden has really hit its straps now, it is in full on summer mode...Kate, our youngest, calls it a 'nervous breakdown' of a garden, there is just so much going on. But the effort remains daily! There is only a few days between belonging in the garden and belonging in the compost bin, the transition is taking place all the time, so it's impossible to just walk through it without doing something.

But to see guests faces drop when they come around the corner, it makes it all worthwhile.

Thanks Rebecca......

Cheers......Rob

Kristy43
Level 5
West Moonah, Australia

@Robin4 what an amazing place you have made.... I have said it before but those gardens are just beautiful!!!!  Yes, we too have had had some frustrations in opening up our newly renovated home to travellers via Airbnb but the positives are far greater.  Of course, we have had nowhere near the number of guests as you, seeing as we havent quite been operating for a year but it has been very rewarding.  Just this weekend we had a woman and her family stay, along with her father who has terminal cancer..... its a priviledge to be able to say that we have been able to be even just a small part of them being able to make some happy memories together.  We also had an engagement in our house recently......  So many of our guets have been such wonderful, interesting people and it has been a pleasure getting to know them.  The good does outweigh the bad!!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Kristy43

Aahhh, the 'dress circle' of Hobart...weren't you lucky to score something like that Kristy!

Listen mate, the only thing between you and a 150 5 star review Superhost is....18 months. You will get there, your guests love you....and I do love your attitude, "Forget about that one, lets get on with the next"!

Thanks, and good luck Kristy....not that you need it, I don't think luck is going to play a big part in your hosting future, I think you have pretty much nailed it now! 

Cheers......Rob

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Great post @Robin4.  I think I’ll raise a silent glass to you and Ade on Christmas Day, for all that you have and believe. The garden flowers are magnificent and definitely look like a space for total respite. 

If Garry and I are challenged over Christmas travelling between Hahndorf and Gawler and One Tree Hill for a wedding, don’t get a fright if I come and squat outside to hang ten, to breath in the charm! Lol...

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Cathie19

If you dare travel between Hahndorf, Gawler and One Tree Hill and do not spend at least 1  night here, I will never correspond with you again!!

Cheers.....Rob

You were unavailable, so staying with family! Lol..

A fleeting visit arriving Xmas Day, visiting family and a wedding on 27th. Driving out 28th... 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Robin4, but One Tree Hill is in Auckland, and USA!!