DAY 4: Go the extra mile…..it’s never crowded. What are the words we live by?

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

DAY 4: Go the extra mile…..it’s never crowded. What are the words we live by?

Five of us were all born and raised in Pensacola, Florida. I’m talking about my brothers and sisters. When I look at who we have become and what we believe in I’m fairly surprised and really very curious. I would imagine our family is not completely typical but our early childhood was under the same roof with the same mother and father for the first 9 years of my life anyway and sort of normal. We have all done fairly well but we all live by very different values and beliefs and life codes or words.

What determined how we navigate our lives as adults?

I think the lessons we learned from people with power in our world helped etch who we are today. Those mottos, sayings, quotes seem to have taken up residence and guided us in many ways. Could they be words to live by?

One brother truly lives by: The one that dies with the most toys wins! He lives fast and furiously and stops at nothing to get what he wants. He can be fun for sure – but, we say, “a little bit of him goes a long way”.

And a sister that wanted so much to be loved and belong.  She gave birth to 10 kids and has 7 children all living and depending on her even as they are nearing middle age (the kids). She is loved. Privately I say the umbilical cord is still attached to all seven of them. Not sure what her motto was but something like: All you need is love!

We all have a little of the right fighter in us it seems! One of us stronger than the rest – another sister that doesn’t even realize her knee jerk responses especially to me, the closest to her. Don’t even suggest something to me because I’m right- or you need to do it this way! We all needed and developed strong survival skills that have served us well most of the time.

And one brother that doesn’t say much but is always totally and pretty much available to exclusively his family. His world circles around them.  Maybe his quote is: Close family is all I really need  but, most probably Your past does not equal your future. It is indeed a long story however, not one for this post.

I am pretty sure my grandfather’s statement helped shape me and my beliefs:  A man is only as good as his word. You can bet I’m listening when you tell me something. And so my tolerance for folks that are all talk and hot air, let’s just say, it’s very thin indeed. However, if I tell you I will do something, you can take that to the bank as they say! My Daddy Pa (grandfather) always reinforced that your word was tops, most important and his handshake was truly his unspoken word and promise. I watched as he never backed out of his honored word. NO MATTER WHAT. I see how this has influenced my life and became a motto and challenge as well for me - with my brutal honesty - in the end I think my Daddy Pa was right and I'm grateful for his words and example that he lived day in and day out. He was truly a public servant and a very fine man. I suppose that impacted my decision to use the title: Go the extra mile…it’s never crowded. I have been very drawn to missionary work, serving others and living a life as full as possible. At this phase in my life, retired and hosting since June ’17 through Airbnb it is an awesome adventure. And one of the best parts is the CC and those reading this post and sharing their values, beliefs and styles of living and hosting.  

Here are some quotes and sayings that I recall hearing or reading and they have given me much thought off and on in my life: There are thousands out there of course.

1] It’s better to give than to receive

2] Always tell the truth and you don't have to remember what you said (The biggest liar I have ever known always would say this to us – all our lives) She is still at it with telling lies and she still uses this very same quote - as if she lives by it and truly believes it .  LOL

3] Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are right  

4] What you permit you promote

5] Be the change you wish to see in this world

6] What you allow is what will continue (like #4)

7] Don’t look back – you’re not going that way

8] If you do what you’ve always done, you will get what you’ve always gotten   

9] Stop hating yourself for everything you aren’t and start loving yourself for everything you already are

Finally 2 favorites:

**The best lesson I have learned in life came from the worst feeling I ever felt in life

**Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

Some quotes are words we seem to live by and they get filtered by our life experiences and how we’ve lived and dealt with our worlds.  It would be terrific if you would share with other hosts - each of us has indeed a different story and life. What a fascination and joy it can be to explore and share just a glimpse with others that care. Do you have a life lesson, quote, haiku or saying that became a treasure for you to help navigate your life?

Some of us are reading, waiting and listening…thanks in advance.

Blessings to YOU All, family (2).jpeg

Clara (in the middle, of course)

19 Replies 19
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Clara116

Hi girl, you sure do have a mass of quotes in there, but they are all great quotes Clara!

Lovely to see into a bit of your life and that is where this Community Month thing is a great initiative by Lizzie. We all get to invite each other in for a peak!

If I can maybe just add to your haul of quotes....."Don't be one of the 94% of people who tip toe through life hoping to make it safely to death!"

Good on you Clara, great post....catch up hey!

Cheers......Rob

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Robin4 ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... I hadn't heard that one, but I like it! Thanks friend, blessings, Clara

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Really wonderful and insightful post @Clara116 and quotes to live by.  Very charming picture alongside your post 🙂

@Paul1255 Thank you so much- really sweet of you 🙂

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

One of my favourite quotes which often gets a chuckle

"I would rather be over the hill than under it"

And when I shortly hit 65 ,  well,  thats when being mischevious really begins

@Chris232 I do like that one for sure - and yes, after 65 you can certainly begin to work on fun mischevious stuff! Have fun - when's the big day for you??

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Clara116Insightful post! Thanks for the quotes. Some of them I did not know! I will add them to my list! 🙂

I like the following quotes ( and many more..)

"Take a chance while you still got a choice."
"If one fail and blame itself, one have a good chance of success in the future."  (N. Hill)
"Have no fear of perfection - You will never reach it."  (Salvador Dali)

"Do not give up. While you are standing, you still have a chance to get what you want."

Thanks so much @J-Renato0 - I did not know some of yours - I especially like Dali's - how true that is.

Rebecca160
Level 10
Albuquerque, NM

@Clara116 Thanks for sharing!

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Clara116thanks, nice to learn of others who come from larger families...we sure know how to stand up and make the most of our lives.

Best wishes

@Helen427 nice to see others that came from a large clan - survival does factor in, doesn't it.  Thanks, Best to you

@Clara116  Thanks Clara, all thought-provoking ... I really try to give people the benefit of the doubt. As my mother always told us :   'Walk a mile in their shoes...'

@Βασίλης-and-Ann0 Thanks, and yes, your mother had it correct didn't she - we often think we know but walking in their shoes surely might tell the story! Blessings

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Clara116 @Βασίλης-and-Ann0

Nothing deep and meaningful here, but talking of shoes...

My mother told me, "It doesn't matter what you wear, as long as you have a good haircut and good shoes."

Unfortunately, I haven't quite lived by this mantra, but I think she might have been right...

A phrase I often heard while growing up was the simple "honesty is the best policy". I was brought up to always return the money if a shopkeeper gave me too much change. I do still believe in this, as life is much less complicated when you are honest (while remaining diplomatic - no need to hurt someone's feelings in the name of honesty).