DC Area Hosts - Fall and Winter Hosting Demand

Lundat0
Level 2
D.C., DC

DC Area Hosts - Fall and Winter Hosting Demand

Hello!

I'm a newbie host in DC. I'm hosting guests in the extra room in my apartment. I wanted to know what people's experience was like in hosting during the fall and the winter. Is there still enough demand in the market? I see my bookings slowing.

Thanks!

4 Replies 4
Hilary-And-Ed0
Level 10
Brookline, MA

Hi @Lundat0,

Yes, you will have plenty of guests.  You will be astonished.  I live in Boston, and I would imagine that you might get people at your place for similar reasons that I do.  Aside from tourism, you will find people come to DC year round for a variety of reasons, particularly:

-dropping off/picking up/visiting kids at college

-professional conferences

-other professional reasons (interviews, meetings)

The professional visitors, I have found, tend to stay for 3-4 nights, which to me is a perfect length of stay.  I'm not doing a changeover daily, but the stay is quick enough so that I'm never feeling like someone will never leave.

happy hosting!

Hillary! Thanks so much for the response. I appreciate the info you provided about your experience. I agree 3 to 4 nights is the best length of stay. Do you set your calender so that people can only book a minimum of 3 nights and if so, do you find that there is enough demand with that setting?

Dee33
Level 10
Reston, VA

I find that business is good all year round! February is my slowest month, but I still got bookings even then.

People tend to make Air bookings within 2 weeks of their stay, so you'll probably find fall and winter bookings coming in quickly when it's closer to those dates.

Thanks, Dee, for the response! That's good to know!