[DISCOVER] Florence, Canada

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

[DISCOVER] Florence, Canada

We’re not talking that other Florence. I have been there, though, and it is nice. Really nice. If you have a choice between Florence, Ontario, Canada, and Florence, Italy, pick the Italian one…

But if you find yourself here, you can make the best of it by fitting in, feeling the quiet, and doing that one absolutely-not-to-be-missed thing.

When he mentioned this story series @Nick  asked: “What would make guests feel like locals, like they belong?” Pre-pandemic, I would have said they should try the village restaurant. Our guests love it. They are delighted when someone walks in and everyone knows them. “How’s Bill doing?” or “Did you get that wagon fixed?” leads to an entire-room discussion. These days the locals see each other on walks. All you need to do to belong is... wave. Everyone waves.

historic Florence, Ontariohistoric Florence, Ontario

We have modernised since that photo was taken. Internet speed is about the same, though...

The one thing we have here that is unique is the quiet. It’s the kind of quiet that's filled with birdsong. What can guests do in the area that they can’t experience anywhere else? They can feel that quiet. We are so far from towns and highways, so untouristy, that you can sink deeply into the quiet, maybe add the crackle of your campfire to it. Hear the hoot of an owl, the splash of a beaver tail. Watch a deer glide noiselessly by. Experience the deepest sleep, deep in the woods.

If you had only one day in the area, what is the one absolutely-not-to-be-missed thing to do? Bring a canoe, or rent one from the outfitter a few kilometres from us, and paddle the little Sydenham River. Because it is unpredictable and takes every opportunity to flood, it is largely unspoiled, home to endangered species and species-at-risk that are found in few places other than here. When you are on the river, it is no longer the modern world, but any time in history you are seeing. Very little has changed. That huge buttonwood tree was a sapling in 1812. You don’t want to miss it.

doe, summer 2020doe, summer 2020

the riverthe river

Screenshot 2020-06-25 at 17.08.37.png

Screenshot 2020-06-25 at 17.09.10.png

Screenshot 2020-06-25 at 17.09.25.png

Screenshot 2020-06-25 at 17.09.01.png

7 Replies 7
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Beautiful to wake up to from across the miles here in Auckland, New Zealand where it's now winter thank you @Lawrene0 

I often reflect on how Auckland once was with animals roaming and our beautiful historic buildings we have lost and will treasure the joy in your photographs from Florence, Ontario, Canada.

Whilst we may be in different parts of the world and on different time zones nature & history always play an important part in our lives we can share.

All the best & have a beautiful day

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Oh wow @Lawrene0, what a little gem. It's so interesting to hear about your area and it's always nice to see a bit of history. The river looks like an ideal place for a kayak and a picnic! 🙂 I love the idea of paddling up to the treehouse when the river floods, something a bit Swallows and Amazons. 

Talking of kayaks I saw someone come out of the river near me with a foldable kayak, it was incredibly sturdy. Held together with some little clips, it was quite impressive. I wish I'd taken a photo now...next time! 

Thank you for sharing this and I hope you are having a good week.

Speak soon.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

Beautiful! I was a menace to myself & others in a canoe but kayaks now, they are a much easier kettle of fish. What a beautiful dream for A.C. (after covid)XO

@Lawrene0 

So beautiful~!!! I haven't been to either Florence.... hopefully I'll get to visit both~!!!

Your photo of the doe reminds me of one my dad took way back when we lived in Maine. Next time I go see my parents I should bring out the old photo albums for a look~ Thanks for sharing 😀 😀 😀

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

Wonderful post, @Lawrene0. And another Florence to visit: Florence, Oregon, where I am most fortunate to live: 

heceta-beach-sunset.png

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What a view @Rebecca181, it's beautiful. I'm dreaming of the sea at the moment. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Laura2484
Level 10
Ohope, New Zealand

@Lawrene0 

Oh this looks like the perfect place to just lay down in those green pastures and count the clouds, or be amazed at natures sound of music.

Thank you for sharing your part of the world.☀️