[DISCOVER] Morocco, in the snow

Essaouira-Beachlife-Moro0
Level 10
Essaouira, Morocco

[DISCOVER] Morocco, in the snow

Palm grove under the snow in MoroccoPalm grove under the snow in Morocco

For everyone who thinks of Morocco as a warm country, you’d be surprised to know that the highest ski resort in Africa is there.

It’s hard to believe there would be snow in Morocco, but nevertheless there are several regions of the kingdom, some more improbable than others, which dress in a beautiful white coat every winter.

For the enjoyment of young and old alike, here are a few destinations in Morocco to enjoy the pleasures of winter under the snow.

UKAÏMEDEN

Situated in the High Atlas, less than 100 kilometres south of Marrakech, the ski resort of Oukaïmeden is at an altitude of between 2600 and 3200 metres. It includes about twenty slopes and 6 ski lifts. To get there, you first have to go along the green Ourika Valley, dotted with Berber villages, and then head towards the resort. The journey itself is part of the fun. The landscapes are grandiose and one can admire the snow-covered summits of the Atlas during the ascent.

A little more than one hour of journey separates Marrakech from this resort, which makes it an original and easy destination. You can ski in the morning and dine on the beach in Essaouira in the evening.

Screenshot 2021-03-01 at 12.24.07.png

Screenshot 2021-03-01 at 12.24.34.png

IFRANE - AZROU

Ifrane, named Little Switzerland, is a small mountain village located north-east of Marrakech. Its alpine architecture is rather surprising, and it is very popular in summer for its cool temperatures and greenery. In winter it gives the visitor a chance to ski or just enjoy the snow. At a lower altitude than the Oukaimeden, Michlifen, there is a small resort with a lot of charm. Only 2 ski lifts for 1 kilometre of slopes are enough to provide a fun activity for the whole family.

Screenshot 2021-03-01 at 12.26.09.png

The region of Ifrane-Azrou is also home to a large cedar forest where the Barbary macaque lives, which reminds us that we are on the African continent. The whole region is dotted with lakes, streams, waterfalls and rivers.

Screenshot 2021-03-01 at 12.27.06.png

Screenshot 2021-03-01 at 12.28.48.png

Beyond these two sites, snow is of course visible all over the Atlas Mountains between December and March. But in some winters, snow can also cover the desert. A surrealist wonder for the happiness of photographers and children of the desert.

Screenshot 2021-03-01 at 12.29.35.png

Essaouira_Beachlife_Morocco

19 Replies 19
Francesca
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

WOW! This is a view that you do not expect in Morocco! Thanks, is beautiful.

Fra

Hey, hai un dubbio o una domanda?

Pubblicala cliccando >>QUI<< troveremo la risposta insieme.

Dai un’occhiata alla nostra netiquette, le

Linee guida della community

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Essaouira-Beachlife-Moro0  I had absolutely no idea!  Thank you for sharing.  The pictures are incredible.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Nor me @Ann72. 🙂 This is so interesting @Essaouira-Beachlife-Moro0, thank you. 

If only I could master skiing now. I once went cross country skiing in the Pyrenees, France, as a friend of mine lived near there. Well I spent most of my time on the floor, rolling around trying to get up again because the skies were always in the way, but I have to say the scenery and the pint after were incredible. I realised that day I'm not much of a glider. haha

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hi @Lizzie 

It is always a pleasure for me to share some beauties of Morocco and Essaouira where we live.
I also have memories of my first ski trips in the Pyrenees, because I was born at the foot of these beautiful mountains. I would go from tears to laughter all day long! And my God, how good the beer is after so many emotions! 

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Essaouira-Beachlife-Moro0 

Beautiful, thank you for sharing!

Essaouira-Beachlife-Moro0
Level 10
Essaouira, Morocco

@Francesca @M199 @Ann72 

Thank you! As always, it's a pleasure to share the beauties of this world. I thought the sight of the snow on the desert and the monkeys on the snow would be a big surprise to many people.
Have a good week !
We hope to receive you in Morocco soon 🎉

Edith from Essaouira 🌞🌴🐪💙

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Essaouira-Beachlife-Moro0  That is so beautiful, like the others I'm surprised about the snow in Morocco @Miloud0 has not from memory mentioned snow in your location before.

Enjoy this article from earlier times

Northern Africa - Romance and Mystery

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/ESD19310606.2.59

Dear @Helen427 thank you for this so interesting article from 1931 and surprisingly contemporary in relation to the tourist approach of the places to visit.
There is no mention of snow in the Atlas Mountains, but there is mention of Mogador, the old name of the city of Essaouira.
Thanks again!
I hope you are well! I greet you cordially from the other side of the world.

Edith from Essaouira 🌞🌴🐪

Salute @Helen427 

Yes, you are right, I did not tell you before that we have snow in Morocco. But do you know Helen that the weather in Morocco is totally different from part to other parts. Where I am living, Rabat, Casa Blanca...... the weather is moderate, in other place is so hot like Marrakech, Marzoga..... but in some places are so cold in the wintertime, where there is snow, like Ifran Azrou..... and some places near them

Salute @Helen427 

Yes, you are right, I did not tell you before that we have snow in Morocco. But do you know Helen that the weather in Morocco is totally different from part to other parts. Where I am living, Rabat, Casa Blanca...... the weather is moderate, in other place is so hot like Marrakech, Marzoga..... but in some places are so cold in the wintertime, where there is snow, like Ifran Azrou..... and some places near them 

Thanks, 

Miloud

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Hi Edith, This is so amazing! I love skiing so great to hear of alternative places xxxxxx Love from Mary xx

Hi @Mary996 They are not very large ski resorts. Nothing comparable with Europe, but every year improvements are made in the ski resorts of Morocco and this is enough to spend pleasant moments in spectacular nature in Africa. Thank you for your kind words. 😘

The smaller the more intimate the better. I'd love to know more. Yes I used to ski in Megeve and Chamonix but that was then. Always interested in new adventures. Am very intrigued. Thank you Edith xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Those destinations have been noted. But the snow in the desert is just....... (swooning....!!).