[DISCOVER] Morocco, in the snow

Essaouira-Beachlife-Moro0
Level 10
Essaouira, Morocco

[DISCOVER] Morocco, in the snow

Palm grove under the snow in MoroccoPalm grove under the snow in Morocco

For everyone who thinks of Morocco as a warm country, you’d be surprised to know that the highest ski resort in Africa is there.

It’s hard to believe there would be snow in Morocco, but nevertheless there are several regions of the kingdom, some more improbable than others, which dress in a beautiful white coat every winter.

For the enjoyment of young and old alike, here are a few destinations in Morocco to enjoy the pleasures of winter under the snow.

UKAÏMEDEN

Situated in the High Atlas, less than 100 kilometres south of Marrakech, the ski resort of Oukaïmeden is at an altitude of between 2600 and 3200 metres. It includes about twenty slopes and 6 ski lifts. To get there, you first have to go along the green Ourika Valley, dotted with Berber villages, and then head towards the resort. The journey itself is part of the fun. The landscapes are grandiose and one can admire the snow-covered summits of the Atlas during the ascent.

A little more than one hour of journey separates Marrakech from this resort, which makes it an original and easy destination. You can ski in the morning and dine on the beach in Essaouira in the evening.

Screenshot 2021-03-01 at 12.24.07.png

Screenshot 2021-03-01 at 12.24.34.png

IFRANE - AZROU

Ifrane, named Little Switzerland, is a small mountain village located north-east of Marrakech. Its alpine architecture is rather surprising, and it is very popular in summer for its cool temperatures and greenery. In winter it gives the visitor a chance to ski or just enjoy the snow. At a lower altitude than the Oukaimeden, Michlifen, there is a small resort with a lot of charm. Only 2 ski lifts for 1 kilometre of slopes are enough to provide a fun activity for the whole family.

Screenshot 2021-03-01 at 12.26.09.png

The region of Ifrane-Azrou is also home to a large cedar forest where the Barbary macaque lives, which reminds us that we are on the African continent. The whole region is dotted with lakes, streams, waterfalls and rivers.

Screenshot 2021-03-01 at 12.27.06.png

Screenshot 2021-03-01 at 12.28.48.png

Beyond these two sites, snow is of course visible all over the Atlas Mountains between December and March. But in some winters, snow can also cover the desert. A surrealist wonder for the happiness of photographers and children of the desert.

Screenshot 2021-03-01 at 12.29.35.png

Essaouira_Beachlife_Morocco

19 Replies 19
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Reminds me of the famous image when Egypt got snow for the first time in centauries. Didn't take them long to crack on with some fun!

Stephanie_0-1614762815495.jpeg

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Essaouira-Beachlife-Moro0

I'm not much of a traveler anymore, but Morocco is somewhere I always wanted to go and never made it. I wasn't that surprised by the snow -I lived in Israel for 2 years in my youth, which people also think of as a hot country, but it snows there, too, in the highlands.

It's great to post these things, as most people have some idea in their minds about places they've never been that are often not at all the reality, but based on travel magazine pictures or some movie they saw.

Buenos dias @Sarah977 ! 

Thanks for your feedback. Yes, it is true, Israel is in the same situation as Morocco. You can't imagine the snow there, especially if you walk in the Negev desert or near the Dead Sea!

Morocco is truly an extraordinary country. I hope you will be able to come and visit it.

Contact me if you need any information, I would be happy to help you!
Mexico is on my list too. I love its architecture and decoration, full of life!
I took a little tour of your accommodation and it's a little corner of paradise full of colors.

Thanks again Sarah!

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I couldn't agree more, @Sarah977 . I have been to Morocco and still think of it as a sunny, hot destination. It never crossed my mind it would snow there, so a big shout-out to @Essaouira-Beachlife-Moro0  for writing this. My jaw dropped when I saw the first photo with snowed palm trees. Majestic!

@Nick good morning! Thank you 😉

Unfortunately, often we can see in magazines and especially on Instagram always the same "instagrammable" places ... and we skip sometimes the little hidden pearl. 

I'm happy if you are happy and surprised !