[DISCOVER] Papeete, Tahiti (French Polynesia)

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

[DISCOVER] Papeete, Tahiti (French Polynesia)

The original topic was created in the French speaking Community Center, by @Lea130 and translated below.

I’d like to share with you a small piece of my life in Tahiti.

Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 15.01.14.png

French Polynesia, Tahiti, Papeete, is a dream destination, with postcard-like landscapes, generous wildlife, magnificent lagoons, and a gentle way of life, filled by the welcome and kindness of Polynesians. I have been lucky enough to be living here for a few years now.

As soon as you get off the plane you will immediately be immersed in the Polynesian atmosphere thanks to the sounds of the ukuleles, and you will be enchanted by the sweet scent of Tiare (gardenia flower), which makes up the many necklaces of flowers called “wreaths”, which are passed around the necks of visitors to welcome them.

Tahiti is first and foremost this sense of welcome and the smile of the Polynesians.

Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 15.01.38.png

We head to Papeete, the capital of French Polynesia, on the island of Tahiti.

Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 15.01.47.png

Papeete, which means “Basket of Water”, was a place where Tahitians would gather and come to fill their calabashes with water.

Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 15.01.53.png

Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 15.02.15.png

Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 15.02.22.png

Papeete CathedralPapeete Cathedral

Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 15.02.44.png

Let’s explore its lively market, which was founded over 170 years ago.

A real treat for the 5 senses: admire the talent of local artisans, smell the sweet and intoxicating scent of flowers, vanilla, monoi, taste the Pua Roti, (thin slices of roasted scented pork), banana cake, ice cream at the Tiare, touch the multiple fabrics so rich in colours of the multiple pareos and traditional Tahitian dresses and shirts, listen to the sound of ukuleles. Do your shopping in hundreds of stalls overflowing with examples of Polynesian crafts, monoi, Tahitian vanilla, fruit, Tahitian flowers.

Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 15.03.17.png

Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 15.03.24.png

Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 15.03.29.png

From the Market, let’s go to the seafront, and its beautiful waterfront promenade to get to the Robert WAN Pearl Museum. It is the only museum in the world entirely dedicated to pearls from Tahitian cultures. Its unique exhibits describe and explain the history and practice of pearl culture. By visiting the Museum, you will immerse yourself in the heart of the Tuamotu and Gambier pearl farms. You will then benefit from the best advice to guide you in your choice of a precious souvenir.

Screenshot 2020-08-03 at 13.26.52.png

Let’s now explore one of Papeete’s little-known aspects : Street Art. As you walk through Papeete, you will discover many painted facades. That’s no coincidence, as every year for 5 years, one of the most renowned Urban Art festivals in the Pacific Region has been held here, with more than 80 renowned artists from 32 nationalities participating. The facades of Papeete therefore now offer superb frescoes murals.

Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 15.04.12.pngScreenshot 2020-07-09 at 15.04.17.png

Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 15.04.21.pngScreenshot 2020-07-09 at 15.04.27.png

On our next stop, let’s taste a cocktail made with fresh pineapple juice. Pineapple comes from plantations on the island of Moorea, the sister island of Tahiti which is located 17 km away. Take the opportunity to admire a traditional Polynesian dance performance, and appreciate the superb sunsets over the Pacific Mother Nature offers us.

Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 15.04.40.pngScreenshot 2020-07-09 at 15.04.45.png

And now let’s head to the trailers of Place Vaiete, by the seafront.

We all meet at 5.30 p.m., the hour at which many caravans, vans in which an auxiliary kitchen has been installed, settle in, open their awnings, and set up their plastic tables and garden chairs. The caravans offer many varied dishes: raw fish marinated in Polynesian speciality coconut milk, sashimi, bluefin tuna carpaccio, steak fries, burger fries, Chao men, Breton pancakes, in short, there is something for everyone!

The most difficult thing to do is to choose between the many trailers and dishes on offer! We sit with family and friends and enjoy those very generous portions in a good atmosphere, to the sound of ukuleles who often play under the kiosk nearby.

Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 15.05.05.pngScreenshot 2020-07-09 at 15.05.09.pngScreenshot 2020-07-09 at 15.05.14.png

To end our tour, I have to talk to you about Polynesian Mana. Polynesian Mana is the sacred force, a vital energy that surrounds us here in Tahiti and in all of Polynesia. An energy felt all around us and you are bound to feel whether you are a resident or a visitor

11 Replies 11
Laura2484
Level 10
Ohope, New Zealand

@Lea130

Your Tahiti is truly stunning Lea, from the people to the scenic wonders.

Rich in colour ,welcoming and historic mana . There is always a beauty of generosity with Island folk no matter which oceans or seas that envelop them.

Absolutely beautiful, thank you for sharing .

Stay well 🌺

@Nick 

What a paradise , thanks for this Discovery post.👍🏾

Lea130
Level 7
Papeete, French Polynesia

@Laura2484 

Thank you for this nice message.
I am happy to have been able to transmit through this post, the spirit of welcome and generosity of the Polynsesians.

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

Kiaora, Poipoi  @Nick @Lea130 

Thanks for sharing these lovely posts .

Such a beautiful island with the most amazing food and wonderful night skies 

The International street artists that were in Tahiti also  did a tour last year of my local city . I would recognize Fin Dacs work anywhere .
small pic enclosed 🙂 

Stay safe Tahiti 

Whangarei centralWhangarei central

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

Thank you, @Lea130, for taking me on a trip halfway around the world, far from masks, staying in, and social distancing.  I feel I was there and boy did I ever need that!  🙂

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Merci!!  @Lea130 @Nick and all you delightful people in Tahiti

Whilst I have yet to visit your beautiful country @Lea130 , I have in the past when a Homestay Host of people learning English as a second language in New Zealand hosted some people from Tahiti .

We had much fun & they taught me French words, the history of Tahiti - there are Chinese-French people living there, and somewhere I have a recipe they made for me for dessert.

It's always delightful when we hear the sounds of those from Tahiti & other French speaking countries when out and about in my local area of Remuera & Newmarket.

@Lea130 

In Remuera we used to have the Bastille Day celebrations for a number of years where it was a carnival like atmosphere.

How many years have you lived in Tahiti @Lea130 ?
Do you know the Hulot's, 2 daughters, Rachel & Jennifer who had a brother, who owned a bakery there?

If so please pass on my kindest regards.

Central To All Home & Location

Remuera, Auckland, New Zealand

Lea130
Level 7

Iaorana @Helen427 ,

Thank you very much for this kind message.
I do not know Remuera yet, I’ll find out on my next trip to NZ.

I will be pleased to welcome you on your trip to Tahiti.🌺

I have been living in Tahiti for almost 15 years. Too bad, I don't know Rachel and Jennifer. See you soon then

See you soon, I hope, 😊

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I'm really glad you like the post @Laura2484 @Helen427 @Ann72 @Ria16. It was an absolute pleasure having to work on this first thing after coming back from holidays. Big thanks to @Lea130 of course of creating this in the first place! 

Hi ! I visited Frech Polynesia 3 years ago .....and I fell in love with it... I will be back in 3 years ! Keep in touch!

Lea130
Level 7

@Nick @Thank you very much Nick for this translation 🌺

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thank you @Lea130 and a big shoutout to @Emilie 

Francesca
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

OMG... I am sitting at my desk dreaming... 😍 thanks for this inspiration.

Hey, hai un dubbio o una domanda?

Pubblicala cliccando >>QUI<< troveremo la risposta insieme.

Dai un’occhiata alla nostra netiquette, le

Linee guida della community