[DISCOVER] Pendle, Lancashire

Shayne14
Level 2
Lancashire, United Kingdom

[DISCOVER] Pendle, Lancashire

Shayne14_0-1618418189564.jpeg

Picturesque Pendle and its surrounding villages of Barley, Roughlee, Newchurch, Fence, Blacko and Barrowford all form a network of interesting places to visit with plenty of walking, pubs and history to take in along the way.

Shayne14_2-1618418073642.jpeg

We have the Pendle Witches trail, a sculpture park and Heritage Centre in Barrowford which tells the full story!

Shayne14_1-1618418007034.jpeg

Also find The White Swan, a Michelin star restaurant in the village of Fence and cycling trails nearby, Shopping at Boundary Mill, an Elizabethan Gallery at Towneley Hall in Burnley plus great views, friendly people and good, nearby motorways with quick access to market towns of Clitheroe, Skipton, The Yorkshire Dales and Three Peaks.

Shayne14_3-1618418137638.jpeg

Come and visit - We have it all for a relaxing break, outdoor leisure activities and places of historical interest.

11 Replies 11
Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Hi @Shayne14,

Thank you for sharing The Historical Lancashire, England.

Interesting! It's definitely a great ideal to visit Pendle Hill! 

Pendle Hill rises majestically above an ancient hunting ground, once the home of wolves and wild boar, a wild and mysterious place.

It's that true?  we can still find  Pendle Witch in the petty village?or we must walk up to the hill ?

The story said  the Pendle hill witch’snever died.

I would like to plan to Swansea visit friends and we can stop by to Pendle Hill and discover the mysterious.

The trials of the Pendle witches in 1612 are among the most famous witch trials in English history, and some of the best recorded of the 17th century.The trials of the Pendle witches in 1612 are among the most famous witch trials in English history, and some of the best recorded of the 17th century.

@Mary996, would you join me to the Pendle Hill?

Ride on your beautiful horses and discover the mystery witch village.

Adventure and Exotics travel trials! 

Exciting.

nice picture.

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Pendle seems lovely, @Shayne14! Thanks for sharing 😊

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing these pictures of your neighbourhood. A fascinating place with inspiring countryside.

Annette76
Level 10
Cherry Log, GA

Love this! My father is from Lancashire. I’m going to bookmark this in hopes that we can travel overseas again soon. As an aside, I raise a breed of dog native to the area called Lancashire Heelers. My kennel name is Hang Town in reference to the witch trials history.
Here is a Lancashire Heeler. 
HangTown CindleHangTown Cindle

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Hi @Annette76 ,

I love Hang town, so lovely😍

He/she/ ages?

Thank you for sharing!

Annette76
Level 10
Cherry Log, GA

She is 5 years old in that picture. Here is her mother, Prim, a Black and Tan. 
94D818B8-D797-40B9-BFB8-F7E82418B91D.jpeg2404E42A-C241-4C80-A2AF-FBD1438504AC.jpeg

lovely.

Hi @Annette76 ,

“Like mother, like daughter, like Annette !”

Best friend, and happy family ❤️ So Sweet!

Jane3170
Level 2
Portland, OR

very pretty place. 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks for sharing @Shayne14 

Here's an account of Pendle in an archive from 1887

There should be stories also in British National Newspaper archives that may be of interest.

One can learn much about the people who lived in those locations and their contributions to society.

Elves, Pixies and Witches

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/TAN18870205.2.25

Fairies - Poem and reference to a family engagement in CrowTrees - perhaps CrowTrees was named because there were/ are Crows living in the Trees?

@Shayne14 @Dale711 @Jane3170 @Annette76 @Mary996 
@Crowcombe0@Blancanieves0