DO I NEED A BUSINESS LICENSE TO HOST IN GA

Tori0
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

DO I NEED A BUSINESS LICENSE TO HOST IN GA

Hi, I just received a Tangible Personal Property Tax Return-for Business Personal Property in GA, and it triggered the question, do I need a business license to operate? If so, has anyone had experience with both the Personal Property tax return in regards to AirBnB, as well as the business license process?

Thank you!

4 Replies 4
Nancy390
Level 1
Columbus, GA

I am just looking into renting out a guest house on Airbnb in Columbus, GA. I really don't know if or what the tax would be. I assume it would fall under personal income tax. Perhaps the first place to ask is the fellow AirBnB hosts in my city. If they have done it for more than a year, they should have experienced reporting the income on the tax return etc. If I find anything out, I will let you know.

Denise437
Level 2
Savannah, GA

Tori,
I am a host in Savannah, GA. I am not located inside the city limits proper but in the county.
Whether you need a license is up to your city government and their zoning ordinances. They may or may not have introduced guidelines for short term rentals.

Savannah does require a business license. As far as what their scale is, you just need to contact the zoning office to confirm they indeed follow short term rentals and then the licensing office for your operating license.  Your income is then reported on your individual Fed and state income taxes as with any other business itemizing your expenses and income.

Nikoia0
Level 1
Shanghai, China

Do they require it for areas outside the city limits? IE “South Savannah, Georgetown area”