DVD or Smart TV-- what do your guests prefer?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

DVD or Smart TV-- what do your guests prefer?

We have Smart TVs with Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime etc. at our cottage. I always thought this was a plus 🙂 I have gotten several requests over the last 2 months for a DVD player. We personally have not used one in ages and don't have a backlog of DVDs to share. A few guests have asked for specific movies. 

I have stayed in Airbnbs with DVD players and miss my Smart TV when I am there but that is probably because its what I am used to. So DVD or Smart T V? Which do you prefer? What do you recommend for guests?

17 Replies 17
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I wonder if those guests asking for DVD are just unsure of how to navigate a Smart TV and the various subscriptions.  I recently got rid of my cable tv and exclusively use the subscription programs along with the smart tv.  I am a senior and this was quite a transition.  So I would suggest you add easy to follow instructions with the smart tv.  You could add a DVD as they are very inexpensive.  Finding used DVD's at thrift stores or even some libraries that sell donated books and divd's are also quite inexpensive as well.  

@Linda108 its guests who have not stayed with us yet. They ask in advance, I suppose because they want a certain movie to watch. The remote is very simple to use-- you hit the "on" button and the "Netflix" button or the "Hulu" button etc. Once people get to the space they usually don't have problems. 

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

When you go out to buy that DVD player, @Laura2592 , maybe pick up a fax machine and an electric typewriter, too. 😉

@Lawrene0  and a pager. So my guests can be in touch with me all the time 🙂

Hey, I still use a DVD player and have tons of movies. You could go broke trying to have all the latest technology. Everything's obsolete after a couple years, as they come up with the latest, greatest thing and convince you that it's needed. 🙂

@Lawrene0

@Sarah977 

My two tins, co-joined with a long piece of string, are just gathering dust in the cupboard...

Absolutely, @Sarah977 . Never have kept up with the latest and greatest. Still have my manual typewriter here in the office, you know, just in case this computer stuff is a flash in the pan. 😉

But I wouldn't request that my host who did have the latest technology go out and get the old technology. Can't go by me, though, since I'm apt to just read a book during my stay no matter what's on offer. The really old technology. 

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

Sometimes when I get a request from a guest in advance, within reason I sometimes accommodate, the reason being that I figure it might come in handy to have the item available for future guests if the need arises. Earlier this year, a guest asked me nicely if I had a set of children’s dinnerware. After rolling my eyes in private, I cheerfully told her I thought that was a good idea and went out and bought a couple of sets. Then Covid hit and she never came.🙄 Maybe some future guest someday will be happy I have them.

@Pat271  after doing months of the enhanced cleaning protocol my current policy is not to bring anything else into the space that causes additional headaches when disinfecting.  Therefore no dvds or DVD players will be coming to my listing in the near future.  Im already wiping down books, handles,  records, remotes, light switches,  doorknobs,  tables and the lip underneath where people stick gum, alarm clocks, irons, kitchen implement handles, shampoo and conditioner bottles,  you name it. The last thing I need is 50 plastic DVD cases and another appliance with buttons/remote.  Maybe when we are back to normal. 

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

I supply a Chromecast for my not so very smart TV, then they can stream whatever they like if the cable is not enough to get them through the evening. Cable has a Netflix log on option too. Fingers crossed, they did not come from the other side of the planet to watch TV. DVD player and films are hardly ever used.

Sue714
Level 5
Angaston, Australia

@Laura2592  We have a BlueRay/DVD player that changes our TV into a Smart TV.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Laura2592,

In my spaces, I have an HDMI cable plugged into the smart TVs that allows guests to connect their own devices to the TV.  DVD players aren't that large, and your guests are driving to the cottage anyway.  They can bring their own DVD player and media.

@Debra300 that's  a great solution! I'm going to implement that for 2021.

This is exactly what we have. Still have had a couple of guests complain and want cable....