Damage caused by guest

Siobhan1
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Damage caused by guest

My guests broke and window and in fairness to them they did get it repaired (£250), but they now want my to claim on my personal insurance so that they can get their money back.

Since they caused the damage, i'm not sure why i should be responsible and cause possible penalties on my own insurance plan?

Any advice/help welcome 🙂

2 Replies 2
Maria-Lurdes0
Level 10
Union City, NJ

No way you should make a claim on your personal insurance.   Just as an aside, I'm in the US, and many homeowner policies are void if they find out that you are doing short term rentals in your home, so be very careful about approaching your insurance company.  Read carefully through your policy to make sure that "commercial activities" aren't prohibited.   You most likely need specific insurance coverage for your place, regardless of whether you live there or not, if you are using your space for any kind of business, ie renting for money.

To get back to the question at hand, reply to them that your home insurance coverage isn't for damage caused by guests.  Most likely the amount is less then your deductible anyhow!

Was  the £250 taken out of your security deposit? It's a hefty SD of over 1000€ which your guests agreed to when reserving with you. I agree that you shouldn't involve your private insurance, small breakages like this is why the SD was put into place. As you say they caused the damage,so why  should you be  responsible? Good Luck.