Damage to front security door. Who is responsible?

David3418
Level 4
Ringwood, Australia

Damage to front security door. Who is responsible?

Quite some time ago I paid a tradesman to put springloaded auto door closing mechanisms on front and back security doors due to problems with AirBnb boarders constantly leaving doors open (despite my rules forbidding this). It was quite expensive, as I my back door didn't have a security door and so I had to also pay to get that as well.

Yesterday I was surprised that my front security door was open when I came home from work at about 10pm. I tried to shut it and the spring loaded mechanism fell off. I then realised, that was because my newly arrived AirBnb guest had slid the metal slider to fix the front security door permanently open and left it that way.

I no longer have the "don't leave doors open" rule because I consider it unnecessary because of the spring loaded doors. I only have a "use your common sense rule". But it could be argued, I should have realised why it was open the way it was, before I tried to close it.

I don't think it is "broken" as such. It probably just needs to be put back on. But I can't work out how. I don't feel comfortable about asking the guest to do it. So, I will have to ask a tradesperson.

What do you think about this?

1 Reply 1
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@David3418  If I read the explanation correctly, the guest didn't do anything to damage the door, he just moved the slider bar, which is designed to be moved, if desired, so it would stay open. Was probably carrying groceries or something in and didn't want it to shut on him.

Then you tried to close it without realizing the bar was in the open position. No one's responsibility, just one of those things. No way you should charge the guest for this.

I'm not sure where "common sense" plays into this, unless you just mean he should have slid the bar back when he was done with whatever he was doing. You can't rely on the common sense of guests, anyway. If something needs to be done a certain way, it's best to be specific with instructions.