Damages to plumbing?

Sally93
Level 2
Asheville, NC

Damages to plumbing?

I host guests in my house and we share a bathroom. This past weekend, I hosted two women. I was gone during most of their stay - not something I typically do but I had a last minute work event. When I got back on the second night of their stay, I noticed that they had gone through 3 rolls of toliet paper in about 36 hours. I also noticed the trash can in the bathroom was full of tampon applicators and wrappers. Now doing the laundry today I hear the pipes gurgling - something they've never done before and a sign that my waste pipe is partially clogged. This has got to be a result of all those flushed tampons, right?

I don't say anywhere explicitly in my listing not to flush tampons down my toliet, although to me that seems obvious (and from now on  I suppose I will). I also don't know how to review them - other than this issue, they were fine. I'll probably try to get a plumber over this week and expect it to cost between $200-$300. Am I supposed to ask them to reimburse me for this? 

14 Replies 14
Ephraim0
Level 10
New York, NY

unless the plumber comes up with their brand tampon I don't see how you can prove it. I feel for you and I would be VERY upset myself. I also thought not flushing feminine hygiene products was common knowledge. Do I need to add that to house rules?

Jeanette19
Level 2
Arkansas, United States

Oh shoot! I hadn't thought of that! Goodness, I thought everyone knew that too. 

Have you heard that noise before and confirmed that there was a blockage?  I would expect waste water backing up, not a noise in the pipes.

I have a sign in the bathroom of our AirBnb that says not to put anything except toilet paper down the toilet.

Some people flush lots of things that should never be flushed.

I just found out that my elderly mother (who lives with me!) has been flushing the adult 'wipes' for years.  Luckily we have had our septic pumped regularly and have not encountered a blockage. 

Terry23
Level 6
Glenelg North, Australia

I have a sign above my toilet, toilet paper only, no baby wipes, face wipes, tissues or feminine hygiene products. Something like that and I point it out to them when we do check in. It's not in my house rules but it is very obvious

Gudrun13
Level 3
Santa Fe, NM

So sorry you have to go through this! I suppose one has to be

very explicit and spell everything out. I believe that you can

only get reimbursed if you requested a security deposit on your

listing with Airb&b which would cover any dammage.

It might not be a bad idea to put that on all our listings

in the future. If your two guests are responsible, they should

be open to reimburse you.............

Hopw your situation gets resolved and good luck.

Gudrun

Jarod0
Level 3
Oakdale, CA

My house rules specifically state only toilet paper in toilets. Please place wet wipes, tissue and sanitary napkins in trash. I also include it in my welcome text specifically as a reminder.

I have found thorough house rules are necessary. I have even had to add no explosives and open flames in the home.

LeighAnn2
Level 4
Maine, United States

I posted a sign in the bathroom of one of our listings nd used language from our local sewer department and referenced that a previous guest caused a blockage with baby wipes. One guest was offended by the sign. This surprised me. This same guest had a party in my house and violated the number of guests. I mentioned the violations in my private comment to them. The guest retaliated with terrible private messages to me. It was all private but it was disturbing. I finally had to contact Airbnb about the situation. Unfortunately they sympathize but they do not follow through with contacting or banning the guest. It was all in the message history so I had the proof. So posting signs are good, but I have learned some people react oddly. I kept the signs up and did not have anyone else complain.  I think signs are common in restrooms. 

Update: had a plumber out and he unclogged the sewer main and said it was almost certainly the excessive amount of sanitary items flushed down there.  I believe that these sort of things don't clog the toilet itself, but can get all stuck together in the outgoing sewer pipe, which is exactly what happened. 

I messaged the guest to ask (politely as possible!) if she had flushed sanitary items down the toilet, and she apologied and said she had, and didn't know it would be a problem.

Luckily the plumber only charged $135. Can I ask the guest to cover it? 

This whole situation makes me so uncomfortable, but I do want to advocate for myself.  Also, how do I review her, as she has been fine other than this issue? 

Also, I have now posted a sign above my toilet and will add it to the house rules as well. Sheeesh! 

I think you're going to have to just put this down as a lesson learned. I haven't used tampons in years, but I flushed them when I did, so I wouldn't have known better either. Don't know if that's a regional thing. 

A polite sign warning your guests would of course be helpful. You should also put it in your rules so that if it does happen again, you have some grounds for asking for compensation. 

Bob86
Level 1
Tempe, AZ

Hello -

We are having a similar issue however it is not the current guests who are causing the problem.  Unfortunately these folks have had the sewer line back up 3 times during the first week of their visit (staying for a whole month).

We live very close by and went over immediately with a plumber all 3 times.   We also found sanitary items, tree roots, etc and it appears the problem is now fixed.  However, the guests have requested compensation for their inconvenience.  We are not opposed to doing so but would like guidance from the community about how much to refund them.    They are paying a total of $3,900 for 28 days.  

Thank you!  We appreciate your input!

Bob and Vickie

John498
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

How about a sign saying if your auntie is coming to visit please don't waterboard her but put her in the bin provided instead. Works for me!

Marilyn66
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

My son does my cleaning for me in the kitchen and bathroom.  He is repulsed by women's tampons, just being shove in bathroom, smell, blood and all the other stuff (I provided him plastic gloves as he pointed out STD's).     Why does this disposal have to be spelled out..............it is taught in "health class"  ...........    Does this really have to be spelled out.  yes there is a plastic liner in trash can....but the applicators, tampons, pads, and all........... just tossed and the smell, and if not in container......    Do I provide the disposal???  Give a disposal list to all women arrivals??? 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

When I clean the bathroom, I love  convenient disinfecting wipes.  I love them so much, I would like to provide them to my guests, so that the guest will do the work of keeping the bathroom clean, voluntarily.

Great Idea, except I can't do this. Guests will chuck them in toilet and clog the toilet.

Does anyone have experience with a brand of disinfecting wipe that you can chuck in the toilet?

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

My rules say they're not to flush hair down the toilet either. It can wreak havoc on a septic system.