Damages

Answered!
Andrew-J0
Level 1
Krakow, Poland

Damages

Greetings all.

I currently have a guest who I just checked in on his room in my apartment. I see its a mess but that is not the issue. When he arrived I mentioned the girl that usually prepares the room didn't make the bed for him. So I handed him bed clothes and said if he minded.

Perhaps a language barrier but he didn't put them on and it has been about 3 weeks also i noticed his luggage bag has scratched the wooden floor. 

Now before he goes on Friday i would ask anyone for some input to getting him to pay for the cleaning of the duvet and waxing/fixing the floor. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Cheers.

Drew

1 Best Answer
Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

@Andrew-J0, oh dear, not a pleasant situation. It's a pity there's no Security Deposit in place, as you might have been able to claim against that for the scratches on the floor. 

I note as well that there are no House Rules listed. I'd recommend that you create several clear guidelines, including that guests are responsible for the costs relating to any damage to the walls or floor. 

Not sure what you can do here regarding the duvet, as having it cleaned would likely fall under what one would normally do after it had been used even in a normal fashion for 3 weeks. Also, it's the host's responsibility to have the bed prepared. 

Perhaps you could approach AirBnB and ask for their input. 

I'm sure other hosts here will share their thoughts. Many I'm sure have had a similar experience.

For the future, I'd urge you to set a Security Deposit and include firm and clear House Rules in your listing. 

View Best Answer in original post

22 Replies 22
Natasha0
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

iif you are worried about damage to you property, airbnb doesn't cover anything, you are on youw own. check our case https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Host-guarantee-bull-bleep-when-guests-damage-your-proper...

Exactly what I am finding out even though I have a deposit set, finding out that means nothing either!

Oh boy I found that out what’s the sense of having them I went to a different site to list my property

Trude0
Level 10
Stockholm County, Sweden

Did the expression «just ordinary wear and tear» come up, by any chance? 

Frances13
Level 2
Deming, NM

My guest just left. There are multiple damages from her cat. Torn curtains, shower curtain , rugs, rattan furniture.  Cat vomit that did not wash out of linens , she left the place filthy.  She is a healthcare provider and was given a deep discount. She never said she was bringing a cat.  She left the keys on the table and just took off. I did her review before I saw the damage.  I want to warn others not to rent to her.

@Frances13  " I want to warn others not to rent to her."

Well, you blew that when you decided to leave a dishonest review based upon nothing. How can you possibly rate or review a guest if you haven't checked the place out first? And why on earth would you?

Now what you have done is post a review that is entirely misleading to other hosts.

P.S.I would suggest you take all new photos for your new listing. They are extremely dark- it looks quite uninviting and I'm sure they don't do your place justice. Judging from  the pretty bed you made, I would imagine the place is much cuter than the dungeon it looks like in those photos.

Also, you have not written any description of the place. I would have no idea what I was really booking. All this can lead to bad guests booking.

And why is the trunk that looks as if it serves as a coffee table wrapped in what looks like clear vinyl?

I need to know the best way to get paid the estimated cost of damage that a GUEST admitted she did.  Airbnb does NOT follow what their website states of $50k for damage.  A guest dropped something and it nicked the facing right off the cabinet door.  She even said she'd pay.  Also, knife slits in the flooring...but those don't show up right away, till after mopping dirt over the crevice.  They only want to give me 25% of 3,911 for the floor, and the 5,836 (could have been  $3911, if they had been timely).  With all their delays & ignoring the fact there's a glitch that won't let me submit a claim, the time has passed and now the cheapest option is off the table, and the guy won't even respond to me now...had to pull in 2nd contractor.  They only do full jobs, entire kitchen, not just an island...so price went from 5,836 to 12,437 and airbnb doesn't even pay $1500 for the cabinets????  This is SO WRONG....I don't care that it wasn't a sledgehammer to them, the point is the COST TO REPAIR.  I gave them the cheapest and they SAT on it, everybody ignoring the problem w/ the site, causing time to go by (increasing the pressure sales tactic price).  The flooring.  Slit from chopping knife dropping, digs and gouges around the chair that the boyfriend sat in so often.  That's $3911 and they won't even pay $1k.  The girl admitted to the cabinet door, but she didn't realize she had caused so much damage in the bedroom, but owned up to a few things, but then I found damning pics that I took and her belongings were right there on top of the table that was nicked.  How can we get the LIE REMOVED from the Airbnb website, as it is completely FALSE ADVERTISING for Hosts!!!  How can I get what the guest said she'd pay for...when we both thought it wouldn't be too much.  Wow, was I wrong.  Huge cost, now airbnb states their policy won't cover.  How can they get away with lying???  How can I get reimbursed????

Brian561
Level 2
Queensland, Australia

It is impossible to  get paid for damages with Airbnb We have had an apartment trashed b Airbnb guest.  TV remote missing, Blood on doonah, blanket damaged, Full bond clean needed, Cigarette burns on carpet' They refuse to pay without all original receipts from when purchased even though we sent in all photos and invoices to replace items. It has been six weeks now we are still getting the brush off.

WE ENCOURAGE all hosts to still take bookings off airbnb but as soon as you have the guest contact advise them you need to collect Damage deposit. VRBO collect and pay out immediately BOOKING.com do not collect damage but advise Hosts to do this which we do.

The Airbnb "AirCover" is air alright, HOT AIR.