Damages

Answered!
Andrew-J0
Level 1
Krakow, Poland

Damages

Greetings all.

I currently have a guest who I just checked in on his room in my apartment. I see its a mess but that is not the issue. When he arrived I mentioned the girl that usually prepares the room didn't make the bed for him. So I handed him bed clothes and said if he minded.

Perhaps a language barrier but he didn't put them on and it has been about 3 weeks also i noticed his luggage bag has scratched the wooden floor. 

Now before he goes on Friday i would ask anyone for some input to getting him to pay for the cleaning of the duvet and waxing/fixing the floor. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Cheers.

Drew

1 Best Answer
Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

@Andrew-J0, oh dear, not a pleasant situation. It's a pity there's no Security Deposit in place, as you might have been able to claim against that for the scratches on the floor. 

I note as well that there are no House Rules listed. I'd recommend that you create several clear guidelines, including that guests are responsible for the costs relating to any damage to the walls or floor. 

Not sure what you can do here regarding the duvet, as having it cleaned would likely fall under what one would normally do after it had been used even in a normal fashion for 3 weeks. Also, it's the host's responsibility to have the bed prepared. 

Perhaps you could approach AirBnB and ask for their input. 

I'm sure other hosts here will share their thoughts. Many I'm sure have had a similar experience.

For the future, I'd urge you to set a Security Deposit and include firm and clear House Rules in your listing. 

View Best Answer in original post

22 Replies 22
Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

@Andrew-J0, oh dear, not a pleasant situation. It's a pity there's no Security Deposit in place, as you might have been able to claim against that for the scratches on the floor. 

I note as well that there are no House Rules listed. I'd recommend that you create several clear guidelines, including that guests are responsible for the costs relating to any damage to the walls or floor. 

Not sure what you can do here regarding the duvet, as having it cleaned would likely fall under what one would normally do after it had been used even in a normal fashion for 3 weeks. Also, it's the host's responsibility to have the bed prepared. 

Perhaps you could approach AirBnB and ask for their input. 

I'm sure other hosts here will share their thoughts. Many I'm sure have had a similar experience.

For the future, I'd urge you to set a Security Deposit and include firm and clear House Rules in your listing. 

Thank you Donna,

Appreciate the feedback.

Drew

I have gone to the resolution center and requested monies for damaged items. Airbnb reached out and asked questions, I submitted paperwork and pictures and then nothing happened. Now, I have a second guest who has done damage and their reply is to go to the resolution center. I did that before and nothing. How do you handle when guests damage your property? The first time, the guest ripped the screen door off and damaged the frame. That guest even contacted me and told me he did break. This time the guest actually broke off the front door handle. This handle was $200 and only a few months old. Any suggestions? Airbnb has not responded yet.

Unfortunately Airbnb does not stand behind their host. I did have a security deposit in place and Airbnb refuses to give it to me the guest had made two huge holes in my living room carpet with a cigarette and in my kitchen table and I’m getting no help from Airbnb at all.  wondering if anybody else has had this problem with them? And what’s another site they would recommend besides Airbnb because I’m severing my contract with them

I also can’t get a security deposit from a guest who caused damage to my home. I am thinking of trying vbro. I heard they a great in these situations 

Hi Deborah, I am having the same issue. Unfortunately I had a guest ( later to find out has a violent criminal record) they had a party guns came out shooting up my Airbnb and killed someone in my home. I have close to $45 000 in damages. Plus loss of income because I can not rent it. I also have another business at that location that is being comprised. It’s been 3 weeks I’ve filled out my forms and nothing from Airbnb. There are other sites like VRBO, Homestay, even Expedia and booking.com more and more are popping up. I will be switching. I have 3 units with airbnb and I am very disappointed in how they are handling this. 

I have a list house given to every host, and we check everything with it,

but I also had a bad surprise: the stove glass has been broken. Never thought of including or checking that for summer rents! What can I do now? Has AIRBNB an insurance?

With ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE...EVEN WHAT THE GUEST SHOWED ME WAS HER FAULT....Airbnb does NOT follow what their website states of $50k for damage.  A guest dropped something and it nicked the facing right off the cabinet door.  She even said she'd pay.  Also, knife slits in the flooring...but those don't show up right away, till after mopping dirt over the crevice.  They only want to give me 25% of 3,911 for the floor, and the 5,836 (could have been  $3911, if they had been timely).  With all their delays & ignoring the fact there's a glitch that won't let me submit a claim, the time has passed and now the cheapest option is off the table, and the guy won't even respond to me now...had to pull in 2nd contractor.  They only do full jobs, entire kitchen, not just an island...so price went from 5,836 to 12,437 and airbnb doesn't even pay $1500 for the cabinets????  This is SO WRONG....I don't care that it wasn't a sledgehammer to them, the point is the COST TO REPAIR.  I gave them the cheapest and they SAT on it, everybody ignoring the problem w/ the site, causing time to go by (increasing the pressure sales tactic price).  The flooring.  Slit from chopping knife dropping, digs and gouges around the chair that the boyfriend sat in so often.  That's $3911 and they won't even pay $1k.  The girl admitted to the cabinet door, but she didn't realize she had caused so much damage in the bedroom, but owned up to a few things, but then I found damning pics that I took and her belongings were right there on top of the table that was nicked.  How can we get the LIE REMOVED from the Airbnb website, as it is completely FALSE ADVERTISING for Hosts!!!  How can I get what the guest said she'd pay for...when we both thought it wouldn't be too much.  Wow, was I wrong.  Huge cost, now airbnb states their policy won't cover.  How can they get away with lying???  How can I get reimbursed????

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

So he arrived to stay in an unclean room with a dirty bed...! 

I am surprised he stayed to be honest. Would you?

I think you are lucky he is not, or if he does not give you a poor review.

He came to freshly cleaned bedroom and apartment , with only the bed linen not put on. I offered to do it but he said he would do it. 

But thanks Gerry.

Read my reviews before scathing someone.

Kris12
Level 6
Pattaya, Thailand

I don't have a security deposit on any of my apartments, but I put in my rules, that any damages caused or items (keys etc.) lost, will be settled before departure.

I have had 184 completed trips so far, and only a handful of guests where we had to settle some damages. And only in two of these cases, have the guest tried to get out of it.

Fortunately I have to copy the ID of my guests, as a law in Thailand, and I can at any point call the autorities and claim that my guests have run from a bill, which results in them not being able to leave the country, before it is settled. I haven't had to play this card yet, fortunately, but it is a nice safety net for me 🙂

Of course I am always fair in the cases where my guests break or lose something, and only charge them what it would cost me to repair or replace the item.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Kris12 

Wow! that's great. What a supportive Gov!!

We are knew to Airbnb.  We are concerned about damage caused by clients.  If they do damage something, how do you settle with them before departure.? 

Betsy28
Level 2
Tallahassee, FL

I stayed at a condo that I found on www.homeaway.com and  included in my rrental was  a damage insurance that I think costs me $99 but was refundable if there were no damages.  The owner had 15 days after the rental ended to report any damages with photos and a estimate of repairs.  

Is this something that airbnb can seek out for their hosts???  Worried about my property damage.  I don't really want to have to go back and forth with my renters on this issue.  You plan for wear and tear but damages is another issue.  thanks