Damages

Damages

I rented my apartment in Paris for 3 months during my parental leave and we had about 20 guests during that period of time.
Coming back, we have been very disappointed about the way hosts took care of our home:
- broken shower
- broken reinforced door (guests lost their keys and had a locksmith force it open, and a very poor repair)
- Light switch broken in our room
- 1200€ mattress ruined!!! Smelly disgusting stains despite mattress protection!!!
- broken tap in the kitchen
- broken vacuum cleaner

- broken TV
- wood floor damaged in the living room
We don’t know where to start with all these repairs.
What are these people thinking and doing? This experience has been very disappointing. Of course we know that hosts tend to consider the place as just a hotel but what is the point for us if it costs us half of what we gained through your website... ?
I am pretty sure we are not the only ones, could you please share what are potential ways to compensate for this? Aibnb says it's the co-host responsibility (a company we hired and took 15% of revenues) and the co-host says there was no way for them to check everything and let Airbnb know...

Worse: it's been more than time limit to request money back, and there is no way for us to know which guest did what damage... Aibnb resolution center does not offer a way to handle that kind of situation...

Anybody can help?

2 Replies 2
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Valentin89 I am sorry you had to come back to that but this is not normal for Airbnb, there are bad guests sometimes, sure, but it is the responsibility of the host to check the apartment after every check-out and ask for money for the dammages each guest did. This way,you cant ask the guests since you dont know who did what, you can't ask Airbnb since the time has passed. You can discuss it with the company you hired to co-host, who by the way did a terrible job, for a refund if you had some sort of agreement and maybe you will have more luck there. They are very unprofessional and I am sure they will soon be out of business if they handle other properties the same. I am surprised how no one of the guests mentioned anything broken in their reviews, but I dont think only the last guest could do such dammage.

Thanks @Ana1136 for your insight.

I agree with your comment, but the thing is that you only discover the applicable rules between the co-host company (that basically takes 20% of the revenues) and Airbnb when there is a problem and when it is too late. The co-host company is pushing back on their responsibility, saying they could not identify these problems before and after each rental... And we hired them for that. So basically, it will cost us at least 2000€ to repair everything + the hassle of finding different providers or repurchase broken devices or material. Besides, that also means you have to ask for an important amount for caution money that reduces your opportunity to rent. Basically, how to get reimbursed for a mattress, when you cannot know which guest(s) is/are involved... Anyway, it sounds like it is not worth the hassle of renting your apartment because it will generate frustration and troubles. You will also waste some time trying to figure out who can compensate. Note Airbnb will not do anything, and that the co-host will certainly push back. I am sure that if you have more time and money to waste, you can try to get a lawyer... In my case, I don't think I will rent my flat anymore 😞