Dates requested not currently available

John1937
Level 2
Whitley Bay, GB

Dates requested not currently available

Hi all

I've only been with Airbnb since October (rent our five properties with an agnecy as well as privately) but I have now had a few requests from prospective guests where they attempt to book a stay from an available date range but are actually asking for later dates where the calendar is not yet open.

I have had to turn down these requests as the future dates are not available but is that refuseal classed as a cancellation ? How do I avoid this happening going forward ? I only have my calendar open to the end of March as I have not yet calculated what my spring/summer nightly rate should be.

Thanks in advance of some guidance !

John

3 Replies 3
Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

I hate when potential guests do this. I assume that these are inquiries, correct? Not booking requests? If they are inquiries, you don't have to accept or decline. If that makes you anxious, to do nothing, you can simply select the Pre-Approve for the dates that they have selected. Chances are they won't book, and your dashboard will stop nagging you.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@John1937@Susan151, I hate this too. Another fault with Airbnb messaging system, that there isn't a way to simply send a message to a host without having to preselect dates, leaving them blocked in your calendar for a period of time. These will usually be booking enquiries - I usually just say, the dates aren't open yet, check back on such and such a date. Then I preapprove the booking and explain to them that I must do so to avoid penalties and there is no obligation for them to proceed with the booking. This is not counted as a cancellation, but you must respond with a preapprove or decline within 24 hours otherwise this will be a black mark against you.

@Kath9 wrote:

@John1937@Susan151, I hate this too.

but you must respond with a preapprove or decline within 24 hours otherwise this will be a black mark against you.

This is not true. For an inquiry, the AirBNB system only cares how quickly you respond. You do not need to pre-approve or decline. And your calendar is not blocked by these inquiries either.