Day 1 - A bit of bright light

Marlene76
Level 7
Montana, United States

Day 1 - A bit of bright light

Screenshot 2021-12-01 at 14.36.05.png

Hello! This time of year can easily feel gloomy and isolating, especially in the Mountain West where it gets dark early and challengingly cold. 

I have discovered how to shake off those feelings, especially in this pandemic, by giving myself emotionally satisfying options. 

It wasn’t until I started doing this--believe me, the cold was a barrier--that I discovered how healing it is to bundle up and meet with friends for walks in the woods.

Do you have the good fortune to be in the company of friends who have fire tables? What a cheery bonus it is to meet outside and have wine with dinner while the snow falls.

This year, Hanukkah arrives early, and the Festival of Lights is a warm, sweet and bright holiday that lasts eight days. With the addition of a new candle each day, the light grows brighter and brighter.

As the days get shorter and the nights longer, I encourage everyone to find ways to make this time of year as bright as you desire.

Marlene

Missoula, Montana

18 Replies 18
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

That's a very uplifting post, @Marlene76!  I'm back in the city without woods to walk in, but I do have Sondheim, and coincidentally I've been listening to "Into the Woods" on repeat since he died the other day. It's proving to be a great solace and a great inspiration as I look ahead.

Happy Hannukah!

Marlene76
Level 7
Montana, United States

thank you!

Katja202
Level 10
Ruinen, Netherlands

@Marlene76 Thank you for your message it is good to remind us. I hope all our days will be filled with light even in the smallest things. 

Happy Hannukah! 🕯

Groetjes Katja

thank you!198243F1-53C9-47DC-B6E3-CBE9833905C2.jpeg

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Lovely topic @Marlene76 and a great way to kick-off this years Month of Celebration! - Thank you for participating 😃

Marlene76
Level 7
Montana, United States

@Nick Thank you!

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Marlene76  Lovely, uplifting and positive post.  Happy Holidays.

Marlene76
Level 7
Montana, United States

@Mark116 thank you!

Linda3273
Level 10
Sooke, Canada

@Marlene76 that was so lovely and there is something magical about lighting candles and being surrounded by family and friends. Thank you for reminding me that sometimes the little things that we do during the holidays have the greatest impact on our souls. Blessings this holiday season from my family to yours 🕯

Linda

@Linda3273 thank you!

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Marlene76 thank you for the information relating to Hanukkah and the Festival of lights. What I love about this page and the people who share their knowledge and I am always learning. Your day 1 topic A bit of bright light encouraged me to read more on the topic of lighting the Menorah each evening. With the elaborate candelabra having .8 branches plus the one to light the candles each night called the servant or Shammash.

Thank you again for sharing your description of winter nights and your tradition.

@Laurelle3 thank you for reading! wishing you bright light.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

I do hope @Marlene76  you are enjoying and also having a memorable Hanukkah. Wishing you and yours the very best for Hanukkah and the rest of 2021. May 2022 bring a bright light that shines positively and protectively over us all. 💐🕯

@Cathie19 thank you!