Day 1: Flexibility... How to get the most from Airbnb

Colleen47
Level 10
Frisco, CO

Day 1: Flexibility... How to get the most from Airbnb

December is gearing up for the busiest time of our year.  The holidays bring people from all over the world to our nook of Colorado.  I believe the first is a great time to take a breath and prepare for the season to come.  Flexibility has been the key factor that has made Airbnb a successful enterprise for us.  Always being able to accomadate or work around a guests requests and needs has ensured a customer for years to come.  Maybe it feels like they are coming home, maybe it's because they get what they need.  I actually build in time for each rental and surprise them with an early check in, or a late check out.  Of course this is not always plausible, but why not? make people feel good.  

Flexibility also extends into who and what you allow in your home.  We have secured a niche in our community by permiting gatherings and celebrations.  We have hosted bachelor parties, Bar Mitzvah, intimate wedding receptions, team and company retreats.  Our location and infastructure permit this, but our flexibility and open mindedness have allowed our rental to thrive.  

This flexibility has in turn allowed us to travel and persue our wildest dreams.  We get to visit family in Mexico, take long weekends mountain biking or skiing, or start up our next lodge in Alaska.  We are super fortunate to have meshed so well with the Airbnb platform.  Everything we have put into hosting has paid us back in turn.  Again, the only way it has worked for us is by being flexible.  Ride the wave and discover what works for you at your location. 

*Part of the Community Center's Month of Celebration

22 Replies 22
Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Fantastic @Colleen47 totally agree on your unique take on flexibility 🙂

thanks @Paul1255 it makes things much easier 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Colleen47

Hey, good post, good on you Colleen. We do have to understand that we are charging people to enjoy a hosting experience with us .....it isn't all about us....it's also about them too, we do have to bend a bit to accommodate them. I have had guests go from a 6.00 pm check-in to a 12.45 am check-in....I still accommodate them without protest, I am as you say, flexible ....they are paying me money, why would I grizzle!!

I do also feel most of us are not prepared for what we will experience with Airbnb!

Put yourself in a room of 500 people, there would be 300 you would never wish to see again. But when someone books your listing, they like what they see and a certain bond is there, even before they arrive....they are going to be nice people! We avoid those people we do not appeal to!

Nearly midnight here....and the red wine has taken its tol!!!  I am going to turn it in for the day....
cheers......Rob

Totally agree, we are being paid to accommodate. Keep it up @Robin4

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Colleen47

I second Paul on this one! It's very interesting to hear how everything works out for you :-).

You're living the dream! 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

It's not all glamorous! I've scrubbed quite a few toilets, cleaned up nasties, and worked my butt off, but the flexibility of the platform, and our flexibility has really made it happen.

And Yes, I am living the dream! Thanks for reminding me 🙂

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Colleen47 "Make people feel good."

That is hospitality! I don't host big groups, reunions since my space doesn't work for that, but, that doesn't mean I can't join you in this mantra.

yeah @Susan151 it's the mantra... you got it that's why you're successful

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Colleen47

Great post!

Nice to know about you experience hosting. Yes, I think that flexibility is important. To be flexible about  checkin and check out time is a very positive differential amongst other factors.

Since you have a "retreat" it is easy to acceppet even "bachelor parties" 🙂

I do not take parties anyway, because my listings are in block of flats.

At least to me, the idea of letting a place to some guests that want to hold a party is not a good idea anyway. To me it is a synonym of problems 🙂

Well, the world is diverse, and it is nice to know that, what does not work with some hosts, is good for other hosts 🙂

Cheers, J  Renato

@J-Renato0 A retreat is something away from the norm, somewhere you can disconnect or reconnect.  We are at the end of a private road backing the national forest.  You could stay here and not see another human for days and days.  A bachelor party is a group of guys celebrating their friend, brother, or son.  They go fishing, drink beer, have fun.  they really go hand in hand. 

I agree this is impossible in apartment settings.

Fortunately I have had very few problems

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Colleen47, I love your attitude - flexibility is what makes a great host (and hosting great!). If we are completely rigid around rules, check in times, etc. we only create stress for ourselves and our guests. I would say 'flexibility with boundaries' is a nice balance - you can't be treated like a doormat either. But hospitality is all about being hospitable and accommodating and sometimes going out of your way to make a guest feel welcome. Thanks for sharing!

Yes! flexible with boundaries... thats perfect!    Absolutely my pleasure. 

@Colleen47  Completely agree, Colleen,  it's no hardship to go the 'extra mile' in helping guests have a wonderful holiday. Makes us feel great, too,  getting caught up in their excitment ! 

definately.  I'm super excited when I go on vacation, aren't you? I love knowing that people are having a great time in my home.  It makes me feel successful.  

I have been on vacation before and felt instantly burdened by rules and intruded on by the hosts.  Not my style, please do not come to my home and walk on egg shells, that sounds miserable.  Have fun, relax, enjoy yourself.