Day 1 - My 2019: Airbnb, life, love, and the ups and downs :)

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Day 1 - My 2019: Airbnb, life, love, and the ups and downs :)

0.jpeg

Hello beautiful people of the Airbnb Community Centre.

As a year comes to a close we often reflect on it, so I thought that I would kick off the month of celebration by giving you some insight into my year this year.

As some of you know, Airbnb has played a big part in my life over the last nearly 18 months, but in 2019 it has played a huge part both professionally and personally!

Last year I was struggling along in a job I didn’t really care for at all- I didn’t enjoy it and I don’t really know how I ended up in it, (money played a part of course) and I knew I had to get out.

Airbnb offered a way for me to support myself to step out of that job, and I discovered a real love of hosting, meeting new people and helping them to make the most out of my city, London!

Not long after becoming a host I discovered there were plenty of hosts out there looking for help and support with their own listings, and I wondered if I could make a living out of doing what I discovered I loved- it turns out I could but it would not be easy.

I spent some time on the Community Centre, and also connected with some hosts who needed help.

My first co-hosting gig? I was paid £50 to be a virtual assistant for a host whilst they had guests in their home and they were away on holiday! I was the person the guests could turn to if they had any questions about the property or their stay, or if there was an emergency.

Fast forward to today, and I am a full-time co-host managing 17 listings and counting!

During this time I have made some amazing connections.

In terms of the Community Centre, I have had the pleasure of spending some time with @Lizzie  @Stephanie  @Quincy  and their team at their office- Lizzie made a cake, and I had some well-earned fun!

The end of summer was a rough time, a family member sadly died- and the Airbnb CC team were so sweet and supportive- arranging for a memorial tree to be planted, it was so touching.

I have had the wonderful opportunity to make connections with Community Centre users all over the world, and have a particular love for and connection with @Susan17  and we talk and whatsapp regularly- and it is my mission in early 2020 to take a break from Airbnb to go to Ireland and stay in Susie’s listings and sleep in all the beds!

Susie has helped me to see the bigger Airbnb picture, see a different perspective and I will always be grateful for that.

I have been lucky to be part of Airbnb’s London host meet ups in real life, and have spent some interesting evenings at the Airbnb office in London and elsewhere, meeting some amazing hosts and people- some who have become true friends, and some who have become clients too!

I know we all see Airbnb changing on a daily basis, seemingly less supportive of home hosts, and the feel of the Community Centre can often be less than positive- and I understand that and I feel the effects of it too.

And yes, it’s now easy to see the dark side and question and also understand why Airbnb do what they do- but I try and take the good from any situation I am in, and I soak up as much positivity and light from all of the interactions I have on the Community Centre, the London hosting community and my guests and clients, and I hope that 2020 (yikes that sounds scary!) will be a good one.

I look forward to reading all of the month of celebration posts, and wish you all a happy Christmas and New Year if I don’t see you in person.

Paul x

51 Replies 51
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Thank you for your post, @Paul1255 .  I appreciate your thoughtfulness and CC postings. When working the Air BNB platform fits into your life it is a good resource for income and sometimes personal growth.  Unlike you, Paul, I am a retiree and do not seek to grow a business to be larger.  I just enjoy that unlike some of my fellow retirees, my world is growing not shrinking.  Air BNB has been a big part of that process.

I know there often seems to be much to complain about in the way hosts can feel victimized and powerless.  I try to help hosts see how to manage to retain as much of their power and control as possible in this imperfect system.  Doesn't mean I always agree with Air BNB policy or implementation of policy.   I find when we put our collective minds to solving a problem whether for an individual host or for the system, we do have an impact.

Cheers for 2020!!

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Paul1255  What a sweet perfect introduction to the Month of Celebration 2019

I always enjoy your contributions and looking on the positive side of life which is at times can be challenging for us all.

That's so kind of @Lizzie @Quincy @Stephanie  and others behind the scenes at the ABB office in London to have been so thoughtful with gifting you a Living Memorial Tree.

I was reading recently the UK Government have been going through legislative processes in relation to Tree Laws and good on them, they deserve to stand tall until they fall naturally for the other living creatures they host as part of the wider ecological systems.

Make sure it's Listed as a Protected Tree, although I believe Mother England do a far better job than what's unfortunately happened in Auckland, New Zealand recently with our trees, alas that's another story.

May I ask what species of tree it is?

Would we be able to have a photo of it @Paul1255 

All the best for 2020 and clear vision for all, including the Tree and it's Air Bed and Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner Guests  🙂 !!

Central To All Home & Location

Auckland, New Zealand

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

hahaha @Susan17 , can just visualise you making @Paul1255 change the sheets and use the same linen on each bed he uses during his stay!!

Make sure you Apple Pie the sheets and play other fun games with him..Like Blindfold him to choose a room name/number to stay in each night, or throw a Dart at the Dart Board to decide where he's sleeping the night..

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Happy holidays to you as well @Paul1255 

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Inna22 🙂

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aww @Paul1255 what a lovely way to kickstart the Month of Celebration this year. 

It has been such a pleasure to meet with you in person, quite a few times this year, especially as we got to enjoy some tea and cake at the same time! 🙂 

I know, and as you have mentioned above, it's not been an easy year for you and yet despite all of this you always make time to help support others, with you positivity and kindness. 

It's been wonderful getting to know you a little more this year and I have a good feeling that 2020 is going to be a great year for you and everyone else here in the CC. 

Thank you for everything you do as a human, a host and a great friend to many here in the CC. 

Looking forward to eating more cake with you next year! hehe

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Ain't that the truth, @Lizzie ! 😊

@Paul1255 , 

Love the truth and honesty of your entire post. love the special connection we have, and love our chats and giggles P! And I'm so, so proud of you for all you've achieved over the past 18 months, despite the personal and professional challenges you've faced along the way. You've worked so very hard to make a success of your little venture, and you've acted with decency, respect, integrity, care and professionalism every step of the way. You're a shining example of how co-hosting/property management can - and should - be done, without losing the human element and the personal touch.

And even though you're completely  surrounded (swamped) by giant mega-players with tons of investor/real estate speculator funding behind them, and a raft of promotional and operational advantages powering them forward that you can only dream of, it makes my heart glad to see you still somehow finding ways to flourish and thrive, and going from strength to strength in a very difficult and volatile market. I know how much effort, dedication and commitment you put in, and you're living proof that sometimes, quality can  triumph over quantity, and maybe - just maybe - there's still a glimmer of a chance left for the little guys. You give me hope P, and I salute you ;))

I'd imagine there were probably a few raised eyebrows at the news that you and I are BFFs offline, what with you being the coolest, calmest, most collected dude in the CC (and probably on the entire planet!), and me being, well... a little on the feisty side, shall we say? 😉 But we've hit it off from when we very first started interacting with each other on the forum, and it's been an absolute pleasure, and a privilege, getting to know you, both here and outside the CC. It just goes to show... whether it's on an internet chatroom or out in the real world, it truly doesn't matter how greatly one person's personality and/or opinions may differ from anothers, once there's mutual respect for each others viewpoints and acceptance and celebration of each other's differences and idiosyncracies, there can still be more than enough shared passions and perspectives between any two people, to form the closest of bonds, and build the strongest of friendships. 😉

My wish for you in 2020 (and waaay beyond!) is that you have all the love, luck, happiness and success that you so richly deserve, my darling. And that you get your arse on that plane in the New Year, so we can finally meet in person, and paint Dublin fifty shades of red! Big hugs and hope to see you very soon, Top Geezer! ❤❤

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Susan17 you're so sweet! What a beautiful post.

And most of that can be mirrored back at you 🙂

Coming in 2020 for sure and with a gang in tow I hope x 

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Lizzie what a lovely message 🙂

I agree 2020 is going to be a great one for all!

If anyone wants to know about the pic that has been added to the top of my post...Lizzie made it :)))

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Well @Paul1255 , you’ve done us all proud as well as “raised the bar” with your post!

Gosh, I was aware of your cohosting through your listings, but am so glad it’s all working out for you. 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

I’m also glad that you have been well supported by CC via @Stephanie@Lizzie and @Quincy . Not to leave out @Susan17 . 

Like @Helen427 vision, I also have a lovely vision of you bedroom hopping all those rooms and beds... will you be the host- friend, or the annoying guest? Hmmmm....      Lol...   😁😁😁

As an aside, we’re still not sure whether we’ll travel to London, or actually fly direct from Santiago to Dublin, then Edinburgh next year.

Maybe we could all meet in a Dublin pub and share a community moment over a Guinness...... 

🙂

So till we “talk” again, keep well.

🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I think myself @Lizzie  and @Quincy would be well onboard for having a pint with you, @Paul1255 and @Susan17 in lovely Ireland! Let's synchronise calendars. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

@Lizzie , @Stephanie, @Quincy ,  @Paul1255 and @Susan17 , would Garry and I be invited?

🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃😜

We’d behave!

(Currently investigating transport from Santiago and considering Dublin for 9th or 10th May 2020.)

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What do you think @Stephanie  @Lizzie? Should we invite @Cathie19? 🙂 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Quincy  Depends if @Cathie19 and Gary are going to recreate the world famous... TA-DA!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines