Day 1 - My 2019: Airbnb, life, love, and the ups and downs :)

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Day 1 - My 2019: Airbnb, life, love, and the ups and downs :)

0.jpeg

Hello beautiful people of the Airbnb Community Centre.

As a year comes to a close we often reflect on it, so I thought that I would kick off the month of celebration by giving you some insight into my year this year.

As some of you know, Airbnb has played a big part in my life over the last nearly 18 months, but in 2019 it has played a huge part both professionally and personally!

Last year I was struggling along in a job I didn’t really care for at all- I didn’t enjoy it and I don’t really know how I ended up in it, (money played a part of course) and I knew I had to get out.

Airbnb offered a way for me to support myself to step out of that job, and I discovered a real love of hosting, meeting new people and helping them to make the most out of my city, London!

Not long after becoming a host I discovered there were plenty of hosts out there looking for help and support with their own listings, and I wondered if I could make a living out of doing what I discovered I loved- it turns out I could but it would not be easy.

I spent some time on the Community Centre, and also connected with some hosts who needed help.

My first co-hosting gig? I was paid £50 to be a virtual assistant for a host whilst they had guests in their home and they were away on holiday! I was the person the guests could turn to if they had any questions about the property or their stay, or if there was an emergency.

Fast forward to today, and I am a full-time co-host managing 17 listings and counting!

During this time I have made some amazing connections.

In terms of the Community Centre, I have had the pleasure of spending some time with @Lizzie  @Stephanie  @Quincy  and their team at their office- Lizzie made a cake, and I had some well-earned fun!

The end of summer was a rough time, a family member sadly died- and the Airbnb CC team were so sweet and supportive- arranging for a memorial tree to be planted, it was so touching.

I have had the wonderful opportunity to make connections with Community Centre users all over the world, and have a particular love for and connection with @Susan17  and we talk and whatsapp regularly- and it is my mission in early 2020 to take a break from Airbnb to go to Ireland and stay in Susie’s listings and sleep in all the beds!

Susie has helped me to see the bigger Airbnb picture, see a different perspective and I will always be grateful for that.

I have been lucky to be part of Airbnb’s London host meet ups in real life, and have spent some interesting evenings at the Airbnb office in London and elsewhere, meeting some amazing hosts and people- some who have become true friends, and some who have become clients too!

I know we all see Airbnb changing on a daily basis, seemingly less supportive of home hosts, and the feel of the Community Centre can often be less than positive- and I understand that and I feel the effects of it too.

And yes, it’s now easy to see the dark side and question and also understand why Airbnb do what they do- but I try and take the good from any situation I am in, and I soak up as much positivity and light from all of the interactions I have on the Community Centre, the London hosting community and my guests and clients, and I hope that 2020 (yikes that sounds scary!) will be a good one.

I look forward to reading all of the month of celebration posts, and wish you all a happy Christmas and New Year if I don’t see you in person.

Paul x

51 Replies 51
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

COUNT ME IN! @Stephanie  @Paul1255 @Susan17 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This sounds so much fun @Stephanie@Paul1255@Quincy@Cathie19, @Susan17. 🙂 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Also @Lizzie , @Paul1255 , @Quincy  @Stephanie - investigating train from Santiago, to San Sebastian on to Paris... this could lead to London or Dublin.   Oh the choices! 

@Stephanie@Paul1255@Quincy@Cathie19@Lizzie 

Sorry I'm a bit late to the party! Get your bags packed All welcome, and plenty of room for everyone - the more, the merrier..  😉

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Cathie19  if you're going to Dublin, then I could come over there- and I really wouldn't have an excuse not to see you AND Suzie at the same time 🙂

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

Love this @Paul1255  and always enjoy your contributions to the CC!

Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute, 

At first, so sorry @Paul1255 for your a family member loss. 

Thank you for your so interesting and positive article, which one enjoys while reading it 

Thanks, 

Miloud

Andrea-and-Francis0
Level 10
Mississauga, Canada

Thank you for your post! I always enjoy hearing from other hosts 🙂

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Uh oh...a hard act to follow, albeit in a few days. Well done, and nicely written, @Paul1255

PS. I'm not at all miffed to have been left out of the cake-fest. 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Re Cake fest now @Paul1255 @Gordon0 @Andrea-and-Francis0 @Miloud0 

@Stephanie @Lizzie @Quincy @Cathie19 @Suzanne302 that sounds like a great plan 🙂

One never knows what is lurking around the corner in life..

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Gordon0 you are always welcome to pop around, we would love to host you. Cake would be a must have!! 🙂 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Lizzieit's @Gordon0 birthday on the 6th...

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Gordon0 's on holiday though, @Helen427 !

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

@Stephanie @Helen427 @Lizzie @Gordon0 

Still plenty of time for @Gordon0 to join the CC beano to Dublin when he gets back though 😉

@Stephanie @Lizzie there's always when he comes back, maybe spring a surprise on him,

I'm sure he's having a cracker of a holiday