Day 1 - My 2019: Airbnb, life, love, and the ups and downs :)

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Day 1 - My 2019: Airbnb, life, love, and the ups and downs :)

0.jpeg

Hello beautiful people of the Airbnb Community Centre.

As a year comes to a close we often reflect on it, so I thought that I would kick off the month of celebration by giving you some insight into my year this year.

As some of you know, Airbnb has played a big part in my life over the last nearly 18 months, but in 2019 it has played a huge part both professionally and personally!

Last year I was struggling along in a job I didn’t really care for at all- I didn’t enjoy it and I don’t really know how I ended up in it, (money played a part of course) and I knew I had to get out.

Airbnb offered a way for me to support myself to step out of that job, and I discovered a real love of hosting, meeting new people and helping them to make the most out of my city, London!

Not long after becoming a host I discovered there were plenty of hosts out there looking for help and support with their own listings, and I wondered if I could make a living out of doing what I discovered I loved- it turns out I could but it would not be easy.

I spent some time on the Community Centre, and also connected with some hosts who needed help.

My first co-hosting gig? I was paid £50 to be a virtual assistant for a host whilst they had guests in their home and they were away on holiday! I was the person the guests could turn to if they had any questions about the property or their stay, or if there was an emergency.

Fast forward to today, and I am a full-time co-host managing 17 listings and counting!

During this time I have made some amazing connections.

In terms of the Community Centre, I have had the pleasure of spending some time with @Lizzie  @Stephanie  @Quincy  and their team at their office- Lizzie made a cake, and I had some well-earned fun!

The end of summer was a rough time, a family member sadly died- and the Airbnb CC team were so sweet and supportive- arranging for a memorial tree to be planted, it was so touching.

I have had the wonderful opportunity to make connections with Community Centre users all over the world, and have a particular love for and connection with @Susan17  and we talk and whatsapp regularly- and it is my mission in early 2020 to take a break from Airbnb to go to Ireland and stay in Susie’s listings and sleep in all the beds!

Susie has helped me to see the bigger Airbnb picture, see a different perspective and I will always be grateful for that.

I have been lucky to be part of Airbnb’s London host meet ups in real life, and have spent some interesting evenings at the Airbnb office in London and elsewhere, meeting some amazing hosts and people- some who have become true friends, and some who have become clients too!

I know we all see Airbnb changing on a daily basis, seemingly less supportive of home hosts, and the feel of the Community Centre can often be less than positive- and I understand that and I feel the effects of it too.

And yes, it’s now easy to see the dark side and question and also understand why Airbnb do what they do- but I try and take the good from any situation I am in, and I soak up as much positivity and light from all of the interactions I have on the Community Centre, the London hosting community and my guests and clients, and I hope that 2020 (yikes that sounds scary!) will be a good one.

I look forward to reading all of the month of celebration posts, and wish you all a happy Christmas and New Year if I don’t see you in person.

Paul x

51 Replies 51
Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Gordon0 well, let's rock up to the CC office and have a Xmas cake? There should be time before Xmas?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

When are you back @Gordon0 ? I'm sure we can put some mulled wine and mince pies together for you and @Paul1255 !

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I am well up for that @Stephanie @Gordon0 🙂

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I just got here last night, @Stephanie. It's proper brass monkeys alright. A wintery scene for you, albeit not a particularly pretty one (from our Airbnb). 

Back on Tuesday. When does Airbnb towers close down for the break (and stop being the cake providers?). 

IMG_9927.jpg

Francesca
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Paul1255 

meeting you was a pleasure! 

Hey, hai un dubbio o una domanda?

Pubblicala cliccando >>QUI<< troveremo la risposta insieme.

Dai un’occhiata alla nostra netiquette, le

Linee guida della community

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Paul1255 

Paul, our relationship didn't end with 'JibJab' you know! Pharrell Williams did make us happy didn't he!!!

Congrats on a great year mate, thanks for giving us your take on the year, and I feel it's about time you thought about a trip down under. I can promise you the best bed you ever slept in....and some good times.

For those who may have missed it last year.....

https://www.jibjab.com/view/make/happy_new_years_group/922f847b-d346-4b36-91d6-a5e214d83296?

Cheers.....Rob

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I was looking high and low in the CC for this the other day @Robin4. 🙂 Such fun, I didn't know we could pull such moves! hehe

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Lizzie 

Ah, you have to say, we are a talented bunch Lizzie.

Lets face it, evergreens are evergreens, I felt it was worth trotting out for another year!

I am probably just a bit slower than I was a year ago, and that makes me just a bit sad! :-))

Cheers......Rob

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Robin4 That video made my year last year! it was so good :)) I hope you have something similar planned.

Oh I know I would have the best sleep...and plenty of good times, and trying to make a dent on your wine cellar :))

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Paul1255 

Now Paul, my wine cellar is 'dent proof'......every few days Danno's tops me up again!

Dano's 2.png

Dano's delivery.png

This delivery will turn up in the garage in the next couple of days, so I am covered for the best part of another week. 

Hey thanks for a great kick-off for the month Paul. Your tenacity and eloquence always make for a great read, have a great Christmas mate!

Cheers.....Rob

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Niceeee @Robin4 ! I love how that delivery will keep you covered for the best part of a week :)))

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Paul1255 . It is so good to hear from you again. Clearly last year was a busy one since you "disappeared" once you started managing other properties in addition to your own. (My best thoughts to you on the loss of your family member.)

The real question is- who needs more care and feeding? The guests or the owners?

Again, so glad to hear that your new professional life is bringing you some joy and success.

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Susan151 that means a lot.:) Indeed my dissapearing act was due to a busy workload aha

Who needs more care and feeding?! Well, the guests needs are simple- they usually want what has been sold to them via the listing and pics, and to have a good stay. Sometimes they need a bit of extra care and attention.

Owners needs...much more complex! Some need (personal and property) validation, some need a "friend" or someone to listen, some just want some extra ££, some want to let go of everything- some want to think they want to let go, but hold on very tightly, others just want their guests to be happy and don't mind how I get that done. It's part property management part psychotherapy. 🙂

@Paul1255 wrote:

Who needs more care and feeding?! Well, the guests needs are simple- they usually want what has been sold to them via the listing and pics, and to have a good stay.

It's part property management part psychotherapy. 🙂

You mean? They are [gasp] HUMAN???

Monica1289
Level 2
Ypsilanti, MI

You guys are all so cute & fun with the comraderie in your chat that you've cheered an Airbnb newbie up considerably!  What a great idea -- I do hope you all rendez-vous in a Dublin pub and post pics to share your conviviality some more!  Thanks for sharing some inspiration and example Paul and Susan : )