Day 1 - My 2019: Airbnb, life, love, and the ups and downs :)

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Day 1 - My 2019: Airbnb, life, love, and the ups and downs :)

0.jpeg

Hello beautiful people of the Airbnb Community Centre.

As a year comes to a close we often reflect on it, so I thought that I would kick off the month of celebration by giving you some insight into my year this year.

As some of you know, Airbnb has played a big part in my life over the last nearly 18 months, but in 2019 it has played a huge part both professionally and personally!

Last year I was struggling along in a job I didn’t really care for at all- I didn’t enjoy it and I don’t really know how I ended up in it, (money played a part of course) and I knew I had to get out.

Airbnb offered a way for me to support myself to step out of that job, and I discovered a real love of hosting, meeting new people and helping them to make the most out of my city, London!

Not long after becoming a host I discovered there were plenty of hosts out there looking for help and support with their own listings, and I wondered if I could make a living out of doing what I discovered I loved- it turns out I could but it would not be easy.

I spent some time on the Community Centre, and also connected with some hosts who needed help.

My first co-hosting gig? I was paid £50 to be a virtual assistant for a host whilst they had guests in their home and they were away on holiday! I was the person the guests could turn to if they had any questions about the property or their stay, or if there was an emergency.

Fast forward to today, and I am a full-time co-host managing 17 listings and counting!

During this time I have made some amazing connections.

In terms of the Community Centre, I have had the pleasure of spending some time with @Lizzie  @Stephanie  @Quincy  and their team at their office- Lizzie made a cake, and I had some well-earned fun!

The end of summer was a rough time, a family member sadly died- and the Airbnb CC team were so sweet and supportive- arranging for a memorial tree to be planted, it was so touching.

I have had the wonderful opportunity to make connections with Community Centre users all over the world, and have a particular love for and connection with @Susan17  and we talk and whatsapp regularly- and it is my mission in early 2020 to take a break from Airbnb to go to Ireland and stay in Susie’s listings and sleep in all the beds!

Susie has helped me to see the bigger Airbnb picture, see a different perspective and I will always be grateful for that.

I have been lucky to be part of Airbnb’s London host meet ups in real life, and have spent some interesting evenings at the Airbnb office in London and elsewhere, meeting some amazing hosts and people- some who have become true friends, and some who have become clients too!

I know we all see Airbnb changing on a daily basis, seemingly less supportive of home hosts, and the feel of the Community Centre can often be less than positive- and I understand that and I feel the effects of it too.

And yes, it’s now easy to see the dark side and question and also understand why Airbnb do what they do- but I try and take the good from any situation I am in, and I soak up as much positivity and light from all of the interactions I have on the Community Centre, the London hosting community and my guests and clients, and I hope that 2020 (yikes that sounds scary!) will be a good one.

I look forward to reading all of the month of celebration posts, and wish you all a happy Christmas and New Year if I don’t see you in person.

Paul x

51 Replies 51
Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

It would be good to meet you too @Monica1289 🙂

Lola230
Level 2
Smyrna, GA

Wow. I don’t know you but this was so moving. You’ve inspired me to keep going and “see the light”. We’ve had great success so far with our 2 bnbs and we’re under 6 months in. I love it. But I do have aspirations of co-hosting other peoples properties. Thanks for this gem of a post. Happy Holidays! 

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Lola230 🙂 Happy holidays to you too.

Your listings look so CHIC! And your reviews are excellent!

Wende2
Level 10
Church Creek, MD

Hi all...... @Paul1255  This was a nice read, I too am just in over 1 yr at ABB.  I had my smaller apt on a lease agreement, since giving that up for the vaca rental, I've averaged over $300 a month more from the space.  I have also enjoyed meeting my guests, altho, there have been a handful I hope do not return, I think all in all, a handful isn't bad at all.  Good luck with picking up more co-hosting gigs. 

Hoping everyone has a Fabulous Holiday season.!

P.S.  I'm set to post on Christmas day, and I really have no idea how to go about it, can you tell how you posted for the Celebration...

Nutth0
Host Advisory Board Member
Chiang Mai, Thailand

@Paul1255  wish you a happy new year. Lucky to you to found what you loved. 

Deborah82
Level 10
Toodyay, Australia

Oh Paul, it sounds like 2019 was both harsh for you, yet wonderful too. May I wish you an easier and happier 2020 and that you get to try each of Susies beds❣️

Loving the Airbnb community and it’s diversity❣️
Dolores96
Level 7
Guanajuato, Mexico

@Paul1255 reading your success story fills me with emotion, in the community we have a common denominator we love our work. It inspires me how you describe becoming a co-host, and also how you have managed to connect globally. I want to tell you that this year that ended I started with the project of joining the AIRBNB platform as a host, I have exceeded my goals, I have met beautiful people, I have given a different turn to my life I was one day reflecting what I could do with my life If my work with the construction was in free fall and my real estate agent was sending my clients to other accommodations, I decided to put the batteries to turn my life to serve the clients myself, prepare and supervise with the help of the cleaning staff Each of my accommodations give them my personal touch, knowing my clients as well as their tastes all this before their arrival, in addition to answering their questions in a timely manner and all this led me to become a superhost in such a short period of time and also really feel that I had an immediate income all this thanks to AIRBNB that is why your story inspires me and I feel very identified I wish you continue to reap many successes and if one day you decide to come to Mexico we will receive you with open arms!