Day 10 - Christmas - Reflections, Reminiscing, Rememberance

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Day 10 - Christmas - Reflections, Reminiscing, Rememberance

Twas the night before Christmas in 1818, Joseph Mohr and Franz Xaver Gruber created the Christmas Carol  "Stille Nacht, Heilige Nacht" Silent Night, Holy Night now the common property of the entire Christian world , was performed for the first time  in Austria .

2018 marks the 200th anniversary of this song and may it be played, sung and shared all around the world to unite us in harmony on 24 December 2018.

May we all take a step back in time to reflect on what life was like 200 years ago for those who lived and made such incredible contributions to our society.

All the best to those who are in Austria for this incredible anniversary, I'm sure that there will be many who visit your lovely country singing this hymn in years to come.

Official Website for Commemerations of Stillenacht

https://www.stillenacht.com/en/

The Quiet Hour

"Silent Night, Holy Night"

High up in the Austrian Alps, in the region known as Tyrol - 'the land in the mountians' - we find the brithplace of the "Silent Night, Holy Night." Here the Tyrloean peaks, world famed for their snow-capped grandeur, rise in the lofty simplicity into the cool clear air, guarding little, smiling, peaceful valleys.

"Far up in these Alpine mountian, where a love of music is nature's gift to every child, nestles the remote town of Oberndorf, Austria. Here in 1818 lived a devout young Austrian priest, Joesph Mohr, & his friend, the village school master & church organist, Franz Gruber, who were together destined to give the world this beautiful Christmas hymn. The two men, both great lovers of music, had often talked of the fact that 'the perfect Christmas song had not yet been.

"Mediatating on this thought, Mohr sat in his church study on Christmas Eve 1818.

Outside, the hushed stillness of the night heightened the snowclad beauty of the mountian scene. the pure spririt of those high peaks filled his heart with vision of the radiant peace and joy ofthe first Christmas tidings 'Jesus the Saviour is born'. The thoughts which had long been forming in his mind suddenly found clear, musical expression that night in the song which we have come to know as 'Silent Night, Holy Night'.

"The next morning, Christmas day, Mohr hurried to his friend's home with the manuscript of his precious song. Gruber read it intently, and exclained with uncontrolled enthusiasm, 'Friend Mohr, you have found it - the right song - God be praised'!

"Gruber, thrilled with the spirit of his friend's verses, at once set to work to compose a perfect melody for the 'perfect song'. Fianlly the  soft, flowing air we now use came to him. 'It sings itself, you song,' he criued to the delighted priest. Gruber's real contribution to music lies in the beauty and simplicity of the tune, in is perfect blending in spirit with Mohr's verses. the two men then sang the hymn over together, to have it ready for the church service that night.

'Later in the same evening, when the villagers gathered in the gray little mountian church, Mohr and Gruber sang their new Christmas song before its first audience. it touched these listeners deeply, and after the service, they thanked the two friends with tears of joy in their eyes."

Silent Night, Holy Night!

All is calm, all is bright,

'Round yon virgin mother and child!

Holy Infant, so tender and mild

Sleep in heavenly peace.

Shepherds quake at the sight!
Glories streamfrom heavens afar,

Heavenly hosts sing Alleluia;

Christ, the saviour is born.

Son of god, Love's pure light,

Radiant beams from Thy Holy face,

With the dawn pf redeeming grace,

Jesus, Lord at Thy birth

Guiding star, lend thy light,

see the eatern wise men bring,

Gifts and homage to our King,

Jesus, the Saviour is born.

Text courtesy of the National Library New Zealand  -Papers Past NZ https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/MTBM19391220.2.6

The words of this sacred song were written by Vicar Josef Mohr and the music by school teacher Franz Xaver Gruber, who at it's fiirst performance, on December 24, 1818, accompanied himself on a guitar.

The identical musucial instrument was to be used by Professor Felix Gruber, the grandson of the composer, in singing the carol after the consecration & opening of the chapel at Oberndorf, near Salzburg - text courtesy of Evening Star, Issue 22769, 2 October 1937 Papers Past NZ

Mozart's Grand Piano

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/ESD19371002.2.30.1

When @Lizzie placed online about the Month of Celebration topic, in my wisdom I thought, what can I write about that may be different so I looked up the year "1818", 200 years ago, in Papers Past and have come up with an array of Past, Present and future items I hope we all can take inspiration from, share, reflect, reminisce and reflect on for the betterment of the whole world.

In advance, for those of you reading this topic, I will be posting images that may use up Data on your internet plan so if you are on Limited data save it to read when you are on another device

75 Replies 75
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

A MERRY CHRISTMAS 1909A MERRY CHRISTMAS 1909

Taken from the supplement to the Auckland Weekly News 16 DECEMBER 1909 p001

99 years ago to this day in New Zealand

'Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19091216-1-1 '

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/AS19311103.2.87.9

SHARING THE SAME BONE.—This dog and ; duck in Crummer Road, Grey Lynn, are an amusing illustration of odd friendships. Since it could waddle the duck has been mothered by the canine; perhaps he is fattening it for Christmas.

Article image

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

A delightful verse from 1881

The following Christmas Acrostic, by Bells, Peninsula, was accidently overlooked in compiling the - Christmas number of the Witness :— < A crostics, anagrams, and puzzles, ' ■

M elody so soft and low ;

Every Christmas makes us older,

Revlery its rounds must go ;

Rich in riddles, rhymes, and reason, *.

Y. Yearly wishes of the season.

C hristmas comes with golden sunshine, clustering • „ currants, ripening corn; ;

H oneysuckle, happy greetings, feathered warblers .'/wake the morn. ■ '

R Roses rare in rustic dell, rural arbour, richly v bloom. •■

I ris tinted flowers abounding shed their sweet per fume. |

S.ongs and sonnets, sunflower gay, sweets to charm * the livelong day ; *

Tuis warble 'mong the trees, summer sky and , balmy breeze ;

M eek-eyed daisies, mild carnations, mirth;and music <■' ' soft and sweet ; •

A. azure awning, bright aurora wakes the early morn to greet.

* Sweets and sorrows mingle here, changeful with  each passing year. ,'

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/OW18810108.2.54.1

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/WAIKIN19471215.2.19

Christmas Carols and Origin

MANY BEAUTIFUL MELODIES

THE CAROL SINGERS OF OLD ENGLAND (By Gladys Alderman, Kairangi) .In a very short while, we shall once again hear and sing the old familiar Christmas carols; everyone, both-young and old, love the old refrains, and, as I pen their history my thoughts will travel back to England when, on Christmas Eve, in every city, town and village the Carol Singers will wend their way through the streets and highways singing the old, familiar tunes, and in my mind I shall hear them again this Christmas, as 'I did when at Home. . "O Come All Ye Faithful, Joyful and Triumphant" This popular carol was originally sung in Latin and translated into English by the Rev. Frederick Oakley in 1841. The composer of the music is unknown; although it is credited to a John Reading, an English organist in Winchester. This carol is perhaps the most well known of all. Then we have the Christmas' song which was so popular with the forces overseas at Christmas time.

"Silent Night, Holy Night All is Calm, All is Bright."

This beautiful setting was written by" the Parish Priest of the Church of Arnsdorf, Austria, on the day before Christmas Eve, in 1818, and when the organist, Franz Gouber, heard the words, he set them to the. lovely music, so well known to all of us. And so we pass on to—- " Once in Royal David's City"

This favourite children's carol was written by Mrs Alexander, the wife of the Bishop of Derry, Ireland, for her God-children, who complained that their Bible lessons were too dull, The music was composed by H. J. Gauntlett. ■ '■

Another very popular carol—"O, Little Town of Bethlehem"

This lovely setting was written by an American writer, Phillip Brooks, in 1868. While he was the rector of the Church of the Holy Trinity, Philadelphia, his Sunday School classes asked him to write a Christmas song. After composing the beautiful words, took them to his organist, Lewis H. Redner and asked him to compose the music. It was sung for the first time in that church at the Christmas Day service in 1868. ,

The carol—- " Angels from the Realms of Glory"

Was written by James Mongomery and first printed in 1816. The music was composed by Henry Smart, a Unitarian Minister of Boston, U.S.A.

Edmund H. Sears wrote the old familiar carol— > "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear"

And was written as a poem, in 1849. Twelve months later, the music to it was composed by Richard, Willis. We shall pause here for a while, as the Carol Singers are at the door of my home. It is 11 p.m. (Christmas Eve) and the carolists must be given supper and so the door is opened. They all troop in and, given hot coffee, soup and not forgetting the Royal mince pie, they are a happy crowd. A few are a bit hoarse by this time, but, they have not finished singing yet, it will be perhaps 6 o'clock on Christmas morning before they arrive home. After having refreshments they compliment my mother on her delicious mince pies and I can tell by her delighted expression how mudh that compliment is appreciated.

Any English person, who reads this, will know the competition'the. pie" creates at Christinas time;- With such compliment my mother is well paid for having provided the refreshment. The singers stand around the supper table and sing another carol before going on their way. It is—- " God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen, Let Nothing You ; ! , Dismay", v. \ This favourite old English tune was sung often by bands of minstrels and children going from door to door in

England. So, with the usual "compliments of the season" and "A Merry Christmas" the Carol Singers go out into the cold air to sing another carol: "The First Nowell" The words of this favourite are traditional and were harmonised by Sir John Stainer in the 17th. century. The carol— ' » "Away in a Manger" This simple tune is often called "Luther's Cradle Hymn." Some, say that Luther did not write' this beautiful children's carol, but regardless of who is responsible for its origin, it is a great favourite. Charles Wesley, a famous Protestant hymn writer, wrote—- " Hark, the Herald Angels Sing."

He was inspired to write this Christmas carol, as on his way to Church on Christmas morning in 173Phe listened to the pealing of the bells and the music was composed by that great musician Mendelssohn. Having mentioned, perhaps, the most familiar of the Christmas carols, we pause, once again, and in our minds we hear the "Old Bells" as their chimes ring out across the meadows, and the carol singers, of Old England, singing the old refrains. Regardless of the trials and hardships she is facing, England will still keep up the old salutary custom and will sing on to cheer the way. So I close with yet another beautiful carol written by Longfellow in 1864 , t,

I heard the Bells on Christmas Day Their Old Famliar Carols Play And Wild and Sweet, the words ''repeat : Of Peace on Earth, Goodwill to men. Still Ringing, Singing on its , way ' ■ „"""'" ' The world; revolves from night to day ,-v^;« .. A voice, a "chime, a chant sublime - Of Peace on Earth, Goodwill to Men,

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/WAIKIN19471215.2.19

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Helen427,

I went to a musical event the other night and the presenter of it started talking about the carol Silent Night and they said it was first played on the guitar! 🙂 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Good afternoon @Lizzie that is so fabulous to hear.

I was out walking the evening a of a local school having there Christmas Church service and mentioned to them the history of Silent Night which they were delighted to learn as they were not aware of the history of it.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That's wonderful @Helen427. I think it is one of those pieces of information that people will enjoy passing on to others at this time of year. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Lizzie@Huma0@Dieneke0@Clara116@J-Renato0

@everyone-else

We here in New zealand are blessed that  "Stille Nacht" Silent Night, Holy Night will be the first country in the world to sing it in.

We should all do our best to embrace singing it in Austrian out of respect for those who first created it.

I'm sure that the internet will go crazy with hits on it over this period.

There's currently About 16,200,000 results (0.24 seconds) with keywords Silent Night

https://www.google.com/search?q=silent+night&safe=strict&source=lnms&tbm=nws&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi81vrW5...

Videos - About 28,200,000 results (0.26 seconds) 

https://www.google.com/search?q=silent+night&safe=strict&tbm=vid&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiVvKPR5...

Sheet Music - The best! Now we can all sing and  play along

https://www.google.com/search?safe=strict&tbm=isch&q=silent+night&chips=q:silent+night,g_1:sheet+mus...

And all those beautiful images when searching images..

https://www.google.com/search?q=silent+night&safe=strict&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiLhOzr...

I wonder just how many different versions there are of it?

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Helen427

Version in portuguese language

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOao-H3Nbok

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

AWNS_18991222_p015_i003_b.jpgTaken from the supplement to the Auckland Weekly News 22 December 1899 p002AWNS_18991222_p002_i003_x.jpg

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

A Christmas meal for two:'did you say sugar? 'A Christmas meal for two:'did you say sugar? 'Life on the Auckland goldfields: miners preparing for their Christmas holidays, 21 December 1900Life on the Auckland goldfields: miners preparing for their Christmas holidays, 21 December 1900NETTING CRAYFISH FOR CHRISTMAS DINNER, AT ROTORUA, AUCKLAND, 21 December 1905NETTING CRAYFISH FOR CHRISTMAS DINNER, AT ROTORUA, AUCKLAND, 21 December 1905THEIR FIRST CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY TRIP TO TOWN FROM A NORTH AUCKLAND KAINGA, 21 December 1905THEIR FIRST CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY TRIP TO TOWN FROM A NORTH AUCKLAND KAINGA, 21 December 1905

Images couresty of ' Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

LAWRENCE is in the South Island of New Zealand and it appears as if we are in for another wet Christmas like thay had back in 1881.

Alas we are so very, very fortunate to be living in the times we are with so much modern technology and vehicles, housing etc compared with those who lived before us in 1881.

May we all take time out to relect on how life was in that era of time and say thank you and express gratitude for all we have.

LAWRENCE.

(FROM OUR OWN CORRESPONDENT.) January 4th. More unpleasant Christmas weather could not be imagined than we have had here. It was both wet and boisterous. On Monday and Tuesday the rain held off, and a large concourse gathered at the races. The Lawrence brass band, which is now very proficient, played on the course both days, and added considerably to the general enjoyment. The Blue Spur Fife and Drum Band was also in attendance. This band is, with few exceptions, composed of children, who reflect much credit on their bandmaster.

A concert and dance were held in the Town Hall on Monday evening; it was well attended. The concert was a poor affair, and was hurried through to clear the room for the dancers, who enjoyed themselves thoroughly until daylight. Another dance was announced for Tuesday evening, but it failed to draw.

For the rest of the week we had not a fine day. On the afternoon of New Year's Day it cleared a little, and a great many Lawrence people attended the Waitahuna races, which had been postponed from Thursday on account of the rain. A few went to the Blue Spur, where a faint attempt at sports is made every Now Year's Day. But the people on the hill are too well off to resist the attractions of Dunedin at this season, consequently the local sports are dying out for want of local patronage.

The patients in the Hospital have been most generously entertained this year, a large number of presents having been sent in. Among the gifts were ten g«ese, three lambs, a ham, several cakes, a plum pudding, and fruit and flowers in abundance.

At the last meeting of the Hospital Committee a motion to present the secretary with 10 guineas in recognition of his services in connection with the new building was carried after a very warm discussion, six voting for and three against it.

Ranger Matheson, who has been many years in this district, diedverj suddenly of heart disease. One of his acquaintances, who wished topaythelast tribute' of respect to his memory, on inquiring when the funeral was to take place, was shocked to find that he was buried, though he had only died that morning. The body had been placed in the same dress in which it had been found in a roughly-constructed coffin, and hurried into a pauper's grave. I do not know who was to blame for the indecent haste. It caused much indignation. Steps were immediately taken to have the body removed to a grave which had been purchased for its reception'}

The cold, wet weather is having a bad effect on the gardens. The fruit, though large, is not ripening well. The potatoes are not looking at all promising. The Gabriel's Gully Tailings Company were to have commenced sluicing before Christmas. The freshes that have come down the gully since retarded their operations considerably.

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/OW18810108.2.24.2

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

JUSTICE FOR PLUM PUDDING

A word about, the Christmas pudding. The mothers are always careful to seek to limit the consumption of this typical comestible. I think the, indigestibility of plum pudding has been grossly exaggerated.. I side with the boy who demands '^another slice." High medical authority tells us that plum pudding is a most nutritious dish:— Dr Andrew Wilson «n M.A.P

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/PBH19071221.2.93.70

WAITING FOR HIS SHARE OF THE CHRISTMAS PUDDING, 21 December 1905WAITING FOR HIS SHARE OF THE CHRISTMAS PUDDING, 21 December 1905BRINGING IN THE TIME-HONOURED CHRISTMAS PUDDING, 21 December 1905BRINGING IN THE TIME-HONOURED CHRISTMAS PUDDING, 21 December 1905Mixing the Christmas pudding: A New Zealand domestic study,  17 December 1914Mixing the Christmas pudding: A New Zealand domestic study, 17 December 1914Christmas puddings at the front: how the New Zealanders will probably receive the welcome addition to their fare. 23 December 1915Christmas puddings at the front: how the New Zealanders will probably receive the welcome addition to their fare. 23 December 1915

Photographs courtesy of ' Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

A TYPICAL NEW ZEALAND CHRISTMAS DINNER - 21 December 1905A TYPICAL NEW ZEALAND CHRISTMAS DINNER - 21 December 1905THE CHRISTMAS TURKEYS - 21 December 1905THE CHRISTMAS TURKEYS - 21 December 1905HOME FOR THE CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS - 27 DECEMBER 1906HOME FOR THE CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS - 27 DECEMBER 1906HOW WE ENJOY OUR CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS -27 DECEMBER 1906HOW WE ENJOY OUR CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS -27 DECEMBER 1906

' Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

CHRISTMAS DAY ON THE FARM -21 DECEMBER 1905CHRISTMAS DAY ON THE FARM -21 DECEMBER 1905Showing a young boy lying on a wall? with a toy horse -18 December 1902Showing a young boy lying on a wall? with a toy horse -18 December 1902Showing polar bears in the rain on Christmas Day at the Auckland Zoo - 6 January 1927Showing polar bears in the rain on Christmas Day at the Auckland Zoo - 6 January 1927THE PET LAMB'S CHRISTMAS DINNER - 16 DECEMBER 1909THE PET LAMB'S CHRISTMAS DINNER - 16 DECEMBER 1909CAPTURED: A CHRISTMAS - WEEK INCIDENT - 16 DECEMBER 1909CAPTURED: A CHRISTMAS - WEEK INCIDENT - 16 DECEMBER 1909CHRISTMAS DINNER FOR TWO - 16 DECEMBER 1909CHRISTMAS DINNER FOR TWO - 16 DECEMBER 1909'Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries