Day 10: Painting on your refrigerator?

Joanne-Flynn0
Level 9
Phoenicia, NY

Day 10: Painting on your refrigerator?

When we first thought of airbnbing our cabin we were a bit nervous. OK maybe petrified is a better word. Complete "strangers" in our cabin?!  Then we remembered all of the wonderful homes we've stayed when traveling and we took the plunge.

9 months and 47 bookings later at "Cabin Bliss" and we've had so many amazing guests! Mostly couples looking to get away from the madness of New York City. Since we're two hours away it's far enough to feel like you're in the middle of nowhere but close enough to come for a weekend.

One couple stayed a week for their honeymoon.  They were super polite in their request to book and continued to be wonderful throughout their stay. 

They had some unique requests:

- Can we charge our electric car in your garage? Sure thing!

- Would it be possible to set up a slackline between your trees? (like a tightrope) I had to pass on that one imagining potential liability issues and an injured guest on his honeymoon

- OK if we compost? Absolutely!

When they were leaving the husband messaged me and asked if he could leave a canvas he had painted on top of the refrigerator or in the garage. It was still wet and would be difficult to transport. They would pick it up on a return trip.

We had guests coming in right away and I imagined a wet canvas placed across the top of the refrigerator might not be great for the new guests.  So I let him know that he could leave it in the garage.

When I visited the cabin the following week I headed straight for the garage to check on the artwork.  I found a petite sized canvas of  the landscape of mountains around the cabin with our cabin in it! Since it was Fall and the leaves were changing the colors were amazing. 

I took it out of the garage and placed it on top of our fireplace mantel.  I let him know right away that it's in a prominent place and will be taken care of and admired until they return.  We're looking forward to having them back - maybe on their anniversary!

Thanks Lizzie and all the amazing hosts for sharing your experiences

7 Replies 7
Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

Hello @Joanne-Flynn0,

Who would have thought your cabin would become an atelier?  (Might want to rename your property!) 🙂

Wild guests!  Composting?  A slack rope?  Wow... that could be a tempting 'yes' if you could video the act!  Usually people who have the guts to do that kind of thing are very good--or dead... (they seem to sort of self-select for that kind of thing).  Good call though.  Your insurance company would have been grumpy if something bad happened!

Best,

Kim
Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

@Joanne-Flynn0, sweet story! You should take pictures with the painting in it or ask if you can reproduce it. With a good photo, you can even print it on canvas and have it there permanently. 

I run an artist’s association, so there are lots of art works in the atelier. That inspired a few guests so far to lend me paintings, donate a copy or make an exchange. The paintings around the guest bed are all from people who stayed there or  came often as members or neighbors. Sometimes, when I change the pictures, they are disappointed not to be on show any longer. I have to promise to put them back next time 

I saw a documentary once on a circus legend, a clown and slack robe acrobat. He was going on hundred and still exercising daily, but the rope was fixed rather low, as his daughter insisted on that. About knee high. You could offer that for their return trip. Train safely in the garden, but no thrills. 😉

if you have a pool, it can be a bit higher, but over the water. For thrills, just imagine an alligator in there.  

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hello

I like your story ! 🙂

It rang a bell.

Some time a go I hosted a couple of artists from Scotland involved with modern art! Somewhat different from landscape painting. At that time, the fridge of the place they were staying it was somewhat old, and needed to be painted new.

I had an idea, but I did not dare to carry it out.  I thought, I could give to those guys some cans of spray and say - Do what you want with the fridge to make it looks great and cheerful ! Let your mark here and your signature! I should have taken a chance why I still had a choice. But I did not.

Eventually, I had the fridge repainted white! But every time I look to that fridge I consider trying to make it a "masterpiece".

I am just waiting for the right guest! 🙂 

if you have a pool, it can be a bit higher, but over the water. For thrills, just imagine an alligator in there.

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

I love your story,it sounds like artist found love in your cabin,  Is like an Van Gogh artist

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Joanne-Flynn0,

This is a great story! 

It'd be amazing to see some pictures :-). 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen