Day 11: Fear of flying

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Day 11: Fear of flying

Part of our Community's month of celebration (Day 11)

Hello everyone,

I'm afraid Quincy isn't very well today, so I have told him to stay in bed and rest. As today is his day for "Month of Celebration" I will post something instead, but never fear I know Quincy wanted to share something with you all, so I'm sure he will choose another day instead. 🙂

As many of you said how much you enjoyed the last community animation I shared on the 2nd, I thought I would share another with you. I really like this one too...

Are any of you scared of flying? If so, you might find this video rather reassuring! Here is the original story in the Stories board. 

Enjoy! 🙂

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

12 Replies 12
Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

I love your cartoons, @Lizzie. Even though, I was looking forward to Quincy’s contribution. Suspense will make it better!

best wishes for a speedy recovery to him.

I was never really afraid of flying, only somewhat helping the plane to stay in the air by holding the armrests up forcefully 😉

I had flown in a small plane, was even allowed to take control for a few seconds, which was a great feeling. Then one day, we were invited to a barbecue on the base for ultra light planes. The friend, who owned it, took my husband up and he returned happy and delighted. Then the friend told me “It’s your turn now!l 

lNo way! Not my turn! I wont fly on a bicycle with wings!”

I had not stopped protesting, when we started. Those machines are not much more than a bicycle with wings and the pilot sits on the bicycle seat, the passenger sits a bit lower and before him, like a bag in a basket on the front wheel. I had no shoes on, it was night, my feet tangled over the void. Strictly forbidden to fly over the city, but we did just that, went out over the city, the sea and came back over city and hill. It was marvellous. And some time during the experience, my body adapted to the movement and understood why we turned, whent up or down, accelerated or slowed down in function of the movement of the wings. Incredible for someone who does not dance and surfs like a bag of potatoes. No chance to get a feeling for any of these movements, but flying feels right. 

Since then, I talk panicked seat neighbours through take off and landing. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Helga0,

Thanks for your reply. Good news, Quincy is feeling a little better and has posted his day today, here is the topic: I Wish... thanks so much for your kind wishes.

I really like this story, how amazing it must have been to fly the plane. I imagine it is a bit like when you go on a rollecoster and your stomach does that slightly weird movement. I wonder is the gear stick heavy to control or is it really delicate?

I once went in a helicopter, when I was in New Zealand and I thought as I could see the ground and I was basically in a flying tin can that I would feel pretty terrified, but I never got that feeling...just the feeling that I wanted to go up again afterwards.

Lizzie

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Lizzieand @Helga0

Some people might say "Fear of vomiting" ! 🙂

I have flew once in a small plane, with the pilot and copilot in the first line.
There was also 2 lines of seats with 2 seats for each passangers.
Small plane gives me a sense o freedom and adventure.
Anyway.. to some people, it is easer to get sick and puke.
It was what happend to all the other 3 passangers when flying over Nasca Lines, in Peru, last year.
The first to puke it was a girl and the second it was her mother, both of them was  behind I and my wife.
Then, it was time to my wife puke. I did not puke, but I got paled for a while.
Anyway, the short trip it was funny, and we would do it again!
The pilots said that they saw the world record of vomit !

As for huge planes... no fear, no problem with vomit! 🙂

@J-Renato0, if one starts, all get sick, the smell and the panic spread. Great discipline not to be the next in line.

But the front seats are different. I get car sick on the back seat, on the passenger seat in the morning, but never driving. And the front seat of a small plane is like being the driver. The one I was in had two sets of controls, which may be normal or be ause it was the plane of a club, where you could take lessons. The moment you know that you could control the plane, you feel like the pilot, stressed maybe, but not sick. 

The friend of the family, who took me up, showed me our house, my grand parents ‘ house elsewhere and we waved with the plane, inclining it left and right a few times over the house, hoping to be spotted. He was a stickler for regulation, would call the airport, if he spotted a small planetoo low, so we were high up and did it slowly. It felt like driving a sport car.  Dry reactive to slight touches. Wheather was perfect, no wind - it’s probably hard work to steer in a gale. 

He told me stories afterwards, like when he had to smuggle a bag through customs he did not want to have to open. No drugs, but a very fearful passenger, who needed to get some spare clothes before leaving the plane and had left his trousers behind.  😉

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aw @J-Renato0, your trip over Peru must have been amazing (even with the sickness!). How long were you there for?

Your story reminds me of a holiday I went on as a young child to a little island called Isle of Sicily, off the coast of the England. To get there, we had to go in a ferry and although it was summer it was a little bit of an angry sea, with a big swell. The majority of people were upstairs on desk, which caused a lot of them to be sick. My family and I were happy downstairs eating lots of warm toast, which meant for us, the journey was actually quite pleasant! 🙂

--------------------

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Lizzie

I was in Peru for 3 weeks and few days. Yes, it is amazing to travel to Peru and see all that interesting sites and cultures. It really worth visiting Lima and Nazca (low lands) and Cusco, M. Picchu and Lake Titicada on the highlands. I am writting a blog to record my experience. Someday I may share the url here, when it has more content.

@Helga0

Another thing that avoids puking is small plane is not to have a big breakfast before flying! People forget this small details... and usually fly in the morning.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This sounds like a great trip @J-Renato0. I would love to hear more. Perhaps, before you write your blog, you might like to share some of your travels here in the CC. I always like dreaming about far away places and Peru is somewhere I would love to go to. 

Also, in terms of flying I have just flown back on a 7 hour plane ride and I can confirm it was all smooth sailing (or should I say planing), even with some heavy fog! Due to the fog, the captain came over the speaker to say due to the weather conditions, the landing was carried out on autopilot! I have to say it was a very smooth landing, but still I'm quite glad I was told about that after we had landed!! 🙂 

--------------------

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Lizzie Flying is less risky that driving!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Very true @Oomesh-Kumarsingh0, I have heard this. There is usually a little less traffic too! 🙂

Have you travelled in many little planes Oomesh? I bet the view above Mauritius is wonderful!

--------------------

@Lizzie I have travelled on many types of planes and the view of my island is indeed fantastic. From a few small ATR's to the huge A380's i personally prefer the A380 especially when it is operated by Emirates. We have 2 daily direct flys from Mauritius to Dubai and vice versa. As the world is moving faster by each day and people are now able to book homes in a simple click I think it is time for supersonic planes to make a comeback as passengers carrier. Great post!!! 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great post @Lizzie!

I'm not scared of flying, but I do get a little nervous about flying when there are thunderstorms though! 

Have you ever seen lightning strike a plane? 

lightning strike.jpg

Brrrr, scary isn't it? 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Sara494
Level 3
Philadelphia, PA

Oh man, after a full year of constant traveling, I still admit to getting nervous before flying. Especially on the smaller planes. Even thinking about it now, makes me a little anxious haha but it doesn’t stop be from boarding anymore!