Day 13: How to be a perfect guest... (and a little bit about hosts, too)

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Day 13: How to be a perfect guest... (and a little bit about hosts, too)

Hello everyone. This forum is full of topics started by concerned hosts on their pursuit to become superhosts and giving stories how those "awful guests" spoiled their ratings. Having hosted a lot of visitors from diverse backgrounds – ethnical, cultural and linguistic ones, it occurred to me that collecting such daily things which might become problems would not be a bad idea. I have also been a guest a few times (time allowing) and have never left any bad feeling behind myself or my group(s). And I must say that it is not only my low-performance guests who gave me inspiration, but the conversations with and comments from my top guests, some people I know, and finally all that I have read and answered to in this forum. In no way do I assume any authority here. And since it looks like I topped the Help section for the time being, I decided to give my contribution here (Lizzie, feel free to move the thread if it should belong somewhere else).

The issues described below are ordered logically – in most cases in a possible order of happening. In no way does their significance correspond to the order in which they appear. Some of them may never be an issue. Hosting and visiting have many faces.

1. Communication. From the first message Host and Guest exchange, we start judgement. It is this stage that Host tries to eliminate any upcoming problems with Guest, Guest wants to make sure the stay will be memorable. If they speak different languages, it is already here that the first misunderstandings may appear. Many words have a few meanings; if you add Google Translate as a link in this chain, you will end up talking at cross purposes. If one of you is a native speaker, you're already at an advantage. The slightest doubt that the other party doesn't understand you should prompt you to explain. Also, you may have different types of sense of humour, body language does not have to be similar. And finally, neither of you has possessed the gift of reading the others' minds. And don't forget about updates on the news when due.

2. Perception of time. The best is to take it literally, or rather numerically. Once you agree on any time arrangements, read them as they are – no academic quarter whatever background you come from. It concerns check-ins in the first row, but also other appointments and finally check-outs. Host has a whole life beyond hosting, Guest may want to catch a plane or a tour. There may be still other guests or new guests arriving soon.

3. Common sense. You often come from distant places, even within one country similar things can have different names. Be considerate. Hopefully, Host has provided Guest with as many instructions and explanations as needed. Guest can ask questions if in doubt. But first of all, Guest must look around, and, of course, read the house rules. You're not at your own home after all. When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

The most common erratic behaviours, of which some may have dire consequences, are connected with the following (kudos to all seeking advice in this forum):

• Usage of gas and electric installation, especially if any of them supports hot water and heating – some guests may get the idea of playing with the gas cooker, changing the settings of the gas furnace, manipulating at the valves. Electric appliances may go on fire. A bathed hair-dryer may kill you. These might pose a real life threat, hence they're the first.

• Consumption of supplies (water, gas, electricity) – it is Host who pays the bills after all, do not discuss the obvious, especially if you are staying at bargain rates. And water may flood the house...

• Usage of appliances, amenities and furniture – If you don't know what something is for, ask, be it a simple tool or an electric gadget. Are you looking for something? Ask as well. Make sure Host offers in their listing what you want to use, do not push for it. Wooden furniture is not a laundry rack. Neither are railings or banisters. A mini tumble-dryer is not a trash bin – c'mon, didn't you see that cord? Knives are sharp – a chopping board will save the counter; pots and pans are hot after cooking – they will melt plastic. Beds are not trampolines. It is essential to provide air circulation. The front door must be locked when you leave, windows closed. And you might add any ideas of yours here.

• Eco-stuff – Sorting rubbish is a rule in many locations, especially in Europe. Savings are a rule too – water if it's scarce, but not only; electricity, or it might be even parking space. You never know until you come to live in that community. Again, make sure you know good something.

• Respect. It is due for others and their belongings. Even Host's food and drinks, including spirits. Kudos to all of you who have ever written about your problems with hosting and visiting. Originally, Airbnb was for sharing homes. Still, not all of listings are commercially prepared or meant. So do respect Host's belongings, especially very private ones. Respect quiet hours. Respect the house rules. And you will be respected in return.

Each of us has certain habits and rituals. Host should try to get rid of any quirks. If you notice, however, any indication of them in the description of the listing, communicate before you book. Airbnb (at this moment) keeps some money from the total of the reservation, and you don't want to spoil your holidays staying at a nightmare host's house (here huge thanks to my recent American guest – had poor ratings from other hosts, loved my place and I loved her).

Above all, adapt the rule to leave the place (almost) in the condition it was when you arrived.

Merry Christmas, happy hosting and travelling to all!

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
9 Replies 9
Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

Wow thanks for expressing thoughts, feelings,emotions,and so on and so on thank you for your thought thank you for sharing such details 

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

Just email to my Dad thank you

Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

Hi @Marzena4, what an incredibly thoughtful post! 

One thing on the Google Translate (or any of them, for that matter), one thing I've found 'in a pinch' is to try the translation, then try to reverse-translate from the result.  If it seems close, you're at least closer to... maybe! 😉   Not close?  Forget it.  Go to drawing stick-figures and gestures--and smile!

The most universal word (nearly all languages) is 'OKAY.'  At least I read that once, somewhere.  Pretty easy to indicate 'Not OKAY,' right?  maybe? 

Great post, again.  I think you just about covered everything!

Best,

Kim

Hello and thanks, @Kimberly54 and @Edwin57. Google Translate is my friend and foe 😉

I only started appreciating it when forced to translate some unique tongues, less common than English. 🙂

@Marzena4, same here!  Can be funny, eh?

Kim
Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

Great summary, @Marzena4

I remember the firsy translation programs, mot yet online at the time. Those results were rather far off, you needed to correct a few words per line. It was just a bit faster than typing all of it. Considering the development in less the. 20 years, Google seems very achieved today. So good, that we sometimes forget, that there may be a devil in a detail. 

I have simplified English versions of arrival instructions and house rules and use those to teanslate into languages, where the structure of the sentences may be different. 

I would like to have an option fir a simplified English version for the listing too, that is taken as base for the translation, if someone uses the  translation option. That could avoid some misunderstandings as well. 

what do you mean by mini thumble dryer? With a cord?

If you check the photos of my listing https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/12807279, @Helga0, the WC hosts it, in the corner. I wonder whether it can be so easily mistaken with the bin (that silver one under the washbasin). It's for tumble-drying hand-washed items, a very old thing - some 23-24 years, and saved many guests from running out of fresh wardrobe 😉

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

@Marzena4, that’s funny (not for you when it happened). We had such a thing, when I was a kid, to rinse laundry and to get it as dry as possible. I suppose my mother sold it with the house 50 years after buying it, still working. I habe to tell her that it can be mistaken for a trash can. She won’t believe that ...

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Good post!! Very thourough!