Day 13: Opening my home

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Day 13: Opening my home

Hello all,

It's finally time to share my story!

Like all of you, I have also been an Airbnb host for a little while (surprise surprise!). How did I start Airbnb? I had a spare room left in our property and it had been used as a storage room for a long time. One day I had a friend over who convinced me to become a host on Airbnb. He helped me with registering and setting up everything. The next day, a notification pops up on my phone showing that someone wants to book our place. I started checking if everything in my home was cleaned up, every corner, every inch of carpet, door handles etc.. I wanted everything to be perfect.

A few days later my first guest from the US arrives and I was nervous in the beginning. I greeted him and showed him how everything works in my home. He was a cool chap and he'd been out exploring the area rather than spending time at home. After my first hosting experience I started opening my home for more bookings. I've also had the opportunity to stay with some lovely hosts when I was travelling around with my partner. 

During my time as a host, I have learned a lot and have met lovely people, some of whom I still speak with occasionally. I've hosted guests from all over the world and it has been a great experience, one of which I will never forget!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

24 Replies 24
Rebecca160
Level 10
Albuquerque, NM

@Quincy Oh, I was pretty nervous with my first booking, too. A man had booked for 2 weeks and he arrived with a whole truck full of computer and music equipment that he proceeded to move into the not so large guest room. I wondered what I had gotten myself into! He turned out to be very pleasant, played guitar and even fixed some things around the house. And we still text sometimes!

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Oh, wow @Rebecca160! I have had only 1 long-term guest who brought quite some stuff with him. This also made me wonder how he was going to fit all of it in his room. He was a nice chap who had just moved because of his new job which was nearby my home. I prepared him some pasta which he appreciated and in return, he made some food for me. 

-----

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Quincya Guest from the US, was it your employer??!!

Best wishes

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

He was from Des Moines, and there are no Airbnb offices there @Helen427! 🙂 

-----

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Quincy

Nice post. Thanks for sharing it.

My best.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thank you @J-Renato0!

How was your first guest experience? 

-----

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

It was fine @  Quincy. I wrote about it in my post Day:18 of this project. Everything went well 🙂 However, i think I was a bit nervous as well.

Leo192
Level 8
Spartanburg, SC

Great story!  Thanks for sharing.  We can all relate to being nervous with our first ABB guests arriving out homes.  I must have swept the floor 15 times!!!!  Hehe.

Happy Hosting!

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Wow, 15 times! 🙂 

You must have been very very very busy @Leo192

Hope to see you around here on the CC!

-----

@Quincy

Opening my home

At that moment you’re in your early 20s. You still haven’t agreed to tell your father, and now that he’s about to go again, you’re sure you won’t. Not now, later… maybe. You keep it for yourself.

Your father is in the kitchen. "Dad" you say. "Is dinner ready?" You want to hear his voice, it's your way of intuiting his feelings. In fact, it gives you an excuse  to tell him that the house is empty without him and that you are ready to rent it to travelers. An unconventional way to discover new worlds and feel yourself less lonely and adrift.

Your father drops the knife on the breadboard and wipes his hands on an apron. He drains the pasta and in a white cloud of steam says "It seems to me that you’re trying to grow up too fast".

"Daddy" you say, but your voice is too weak. You try to make things right. "Let me try".

His lake eyes frame upon you and from his chest cavity comes out a sort of "Oh" and that's when those b@stard  tears run down your cheeks, and then you tilt your head back... Sometimes in life a door in your heart swings open and suddenly nothing remains as it was.

You turn around, cross the steam of the kitchen and the bad news and run off to your room. On a yellow Post-it you write the word "host". Your stomach gets twisted. You can feel the lungs inhaling your own air. You look around. You don’t know where to start. You don’t know anyone who has rented an apartment on AIRBNB and this gives you a pure, real, dark pleasure.

You wonder if you need some sort of magic to make this happen and if the joyful gospel of this portal will ease your pain. You wonder if this experience will change you and for a moment you see yourself a different person.

You think about such things, then you turn to the window while the sun goes down under the rooftops of Milan.