Day 13 - Treehouse Linens: A confession

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Day 13 - Treehouse Linens: A confession

I watch with interest the discussions here in the CC on whether elegant all-white is better than fun pastel bedding, but remain very, very quiet. I absolutely should never weigh in on those, um, "threads". 

Here's why.

Forgive me, fellow hosts, for there are bears on my sheets. 
What I can get away withWhat I can get away with

Just the one sheet with the bears actually, a fitted flannelette. The bears are joined by a flock of deer and some moose on that one. Couldn't believe my good fortune when I scored it. Deep discount. What do you mean, "no kidding"?

Moreover, I have a full set with cardinals perched all over, a fitted that is busy with roses, and a flat in plaid. Tartan of the Clan McGarish? Also some plain fitted and flat thrown in, none of it white, to mix and (mis)match. 

Then there are the blankets. 

Patching is easy...Patching is easy...

I've got one freebee acquired years ago that needs darning at those turnovers when guests melt bits of it. It's got phentex in it, if anyone remembers that awful stuff. Slowly I am patching it to the point where the phentex will be gone and it will be a new blanket entirely.

I made a wool one that is better material-wise, doesn't melt, but is what knitters refer to as a "stash buster". Doesn't matter what colour pillowcases you put with it. It matches everything.

The worst is a blanket that is not meant to look like cobwebs but does. I was going for a geometric feel and achieved a Halloween fail. 

Not cool at allNot cool at all

Please don't think that I make nothing but awful blankets. I don't. I give any nice blankets I make to children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews, and I use a few in the house.

Guests in the house -- I know! What misty memory is this? Guests in the house?  -- get white and cream: white duvet, cream wool blanket. No flora, fauna, or frights.

But this is how I know I am the luckiest host out there: I can make up the treehouse bed with the homeliest (North American use of the word, not UK) linens, and as long as they are clean (they are very clean), guests don't complain. Or no guest has yet. I even get "amazing amenities" compliments, and surely by that they mean there are bears on the sheets. 

37 Replies 37

I'm in your camp. All my linens are colored- deep red, burgundy, beige, grey

Max144
Level 10
Bongaree, Australia

I seem to struggle keeping my linens white, i use a bleach tablet plus a product called napisan which is a whitener mainly for babies nappies, and still my sheets are going slightly yellow so am about to replace solely to keep my sheets crisp white which is pretty much what i expect when travelling, and i assume my quests appreciate.

I expect your guests love those crisp whites, @Max144 ! I'm a big fan of white sheets for beds in actual houses. I do feel lucky that I get to play a bit with the treehouse linens. 

Does your climate allow hanging the whites to dry on an outside clothesline? That seems to help keep any whites white here. 

@Lawrene0  yes always hang my linens out in sun here near sunny Brisbane, but what an awesome tree house and it lends itself to mixing up the colours, well done.

Trudie7
Level 6
Sydney, Australia

@Lawrene0 Have always gone all white myself but there is such charm in incorporating ones own individuality on interiors to create a very warm & welcoming environment. Especially for your gorgeous tree house!

@Lawrene0 am smiling reading your message! Your blankets look perfect for a treehouse! I find them very 'homely' in the British sense (I had to look up the N American definition also!). I would even say stylish in an eclectic sort of way. And they give your home character! I hope you have a very happy holiday! Best wishes, Catherine

Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute, 

Many thanks, @Lawrene0 for sharing with us your beautiful topic. Really it is so enjoyable to read it 

Happy Hollidays

Thanks,
Miloud

Lynnie1
Level 5
Foulkesmill, Ireland

I have no white sheets AT ALL. In our house, in my Old Schoolhouse ABB or my husband's 3 safari tents.