Day 14 - A Year of Discovering the Local Area

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Day 14 - A Year of Discovering the Local Area

FFC wine.jpg

FFCwine2.jpg

My overseas trips have again been curtailed again in 2021. I, like many of my guests, have begun to dig in to my local area and really explore  activities and attractions that are available within in a short drive. I have been pleased to find some real gems! Much of this I had literally no idea about, and many I would have not taken the time to visit had I not been forced to stick around. 

1. Winetime! Maryland actually has a pretty decent viniculture scene; Virginia's is even better and all is within an easy drive of me. Pictured is Catoctin Breeze Winery which is about 15-20 minutes from my cottage.  Much of the local farmland in Maryland and Virginia has been converted to grape growing, with a few of my favorites (cab franc, viognier) being well suited to this climate. Wineries typically have outdoor seating, so in transitional lockdown stages, they were are great place to visit at low risk. And most are pet friendly, which is a plus for us and our guests.

2. Skiing and Snowboarding! I had no clue that there was a ski resort, Ski Liberty, within a half hour of our cottage. If you want to laugh, watch me try to learn to ski. My guests had mentioned this place and I always thought it must be really far away. But no! Its quite convenient. I honestly was oblivious to this. But many bruises later, I had checked it out. 

3. Axe throwing! Have some irritation that you need to release? How about throwing an axe? There is an axe throwing place dangerously close to my primary house (some would say "throwing distance" lol), and about a half hour from our Airbnb.  Ours cater to individuals and small groups, and serve beer and wine. Its cathartic. I highly recommend this if you have any similar opportunities around you. The one in my local area is called, appropriately, Stumpy's.

4. Ghost tours! Has the supernatural always fascinated you? How about taking a ghost tour in Gettysburg, PA? To be honest, Gettysburg never really lit my fire until I started exploring the ghost-y aspect of the town. A famously haunted inn with a creepy child ghost was enough to get my attention. Gettysburg is about a half hour from our Airbnb. And of course, its a must see for any Civil War history buffs.

5. An Actual Saint! Whether you are Catholic or not, religious or not, visiting the shrine of Elizabeth Ann Seton, America's first native-born saint is really interesting and inspiring. A peaceful, contemplative place, its a mere 17 minutes from our Airbnb. It was something I vaguely knew about, but never would have explored if not for being forced to stick around in Maryland.

6. Riding the Rails! Have fantasies of returning to the days of steam train travel? Well guess what--- there is an actual heritage railway complete with steam engine and passenger cars a mere 16 minutes from our Airbnb. You can dine, participate in a train murder mystery, or ride with Santa on the Walkersville Southern Railroad. 

7. Covered Bridges! They aren't just for Madison County. There are a number of covered bridges and cool old stone bridges within a pretty drive of our Airbnb. There are several driving tours published, and the history of each is really fascinating. One is even on the way to the winery pictured....just sayin'.

8. Art! I am a little ashamed to say I had not visited the Delaplane Arts Center in Frederick, MD until this year. Its pretty darn amazing. And I paint and love to talk and collect art, so there was literally zero excuse (not to mention I used to live within walking distance.) For our guests who want to experience the work of some truly talented local artists, the 5 floor museum is a real treat. And its in Frederick, which is a cute and vibrant town about a half hour from our Airbnb. 

9. Peacocks (and meditation!) Okay, this one is a bit of a cheat as I can walk my dog by it from my primary house, but its 37 minutes driving from our Airbnb. ​Xá Lợi Temple is a Buddhist temple and sanctuary that is sometimes open to the public for mediation. And they have PEACOCKS that roam the grounds. When walking my dog, we often hear them (they are LOUD.) Very peaceful and they have open festivals which are incredibly interesting. 

I would love to hear about your own discoveries in your area. I am rewriting our house guide with all of my new favorites so that guests can check them out as well. 

11 Replies 11
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

So fun @Laura2592 and love love love that photo at the top.  So many amazing great things to do and hats off to you for throwing an axe 🙂

@Ann72 I am always finding new things to do too. Trying to tour another schoolhouse in the area that has been turned into a museum. Lots of fun holiday stuff around this time of year as well. You never know what is in your own backyard if you don't spend much time there!

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Laura2592 Great post! Sounds like you made some fabulous, and some unique, discoveries! Your newly updated guidebook will be a rich resource no doubt. 

Our local axe throwing place is called ‘Chuck Steel’s Axe House’ 🤣

@Colleen253 hopefully! I always work on updates to my guide over the new year. We block off a stay and its a nice way to wrap things up. While drinking a nice cava of course.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

We have an annual wellie throwing competition. Safer than axes? Gumboot, rubber boot, Not sure what Americans call it. Very popular. 

@Sandra126 when you said "wellie" I thought wellington as in rain boot. Americans wear them but not as much as people in other parts of the world. I have no idea why. Its not like we don't get rain. But I have never thrown one!

Screenshot_20211215-080226_Chrome.jpg

@Sandra126 like @Sandra126  said gumboots I have been wearing mine around a bit more this year because of all the rain. Our parents would have called them Wellingtons (more British terminology).

It was great reading about travelling around your neighbourhood, places to visit for your Airbnb guests.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I'm a ghost on those sorts of ghost tours, @Laura2592 . It's lots of fun and, as you note, turns the audience on to local history. 

Hardest part is not shivering. It's often an Oct-Dec outdoor gig.

Love your list!

@Lawrene0 we have a place in New Orleans that we don't use for Airbnb but just for friends and family.  That is ghost ground zero! I think we actually have a ghost in our house. I have heard distinct knocking and opened doors, only to find no one there. There is also a legend associated with it regarding a lost necklace that mysteriously surfaced. I am happy to share if you are interested!

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Sounds cool, @Laura2592 ! One of the fun parts of playing ghosts in those tours is learning the stories!