Day 14: Month of Celebration

Bronwyn38
Level 10
Wandandian, Australia

Day 14: Month of Celebration

HI everyone from the East coast of New South Wales Australia, which has had more than its fair share of bad stuff this year!

Our ordeal began before Christmas 2019 with the 'unprecedented' 'apocalyptic' bushfires that were raging up and down our coastline for weeks and weeks! Our little town (pop: 400) is on the Princes Highway (Highway 1) south of Sydney and some fire brigades were based in our community hall, but whenever the fire threatened our township, they were off dealing with fires elsewhere... we had thousands more fires in this state than we had fire crews to deal with them all at the same time!

So it was down to our wonderful neighbours who were determined to stay and defend their properties. If it weren't for them, our town would have been totally obliterated (as was suggested it had been on our local Rural Fire Service app - not comforting at all when we were evacuated and had to rely on social media for updates on the fate of our beloved home and B and B).... Our town was surrounded by fire on all sides, and one of those pyro storms shot across the hills behind us (west), while over those terrible few weeks, fire was also being pushed up the coast from south of us, down towards us from the north, and also running up the highway just east of our place!

Accepting guests or otherwise was very much a spontaneous choice at this time, and in most cases guests had already cancelled or we had to ask them to as our part of the township is accessed by one road only both in and out. Bless them, many opted to let the payments go through regardless and reschedule their stays at a later date. Two of those parties are staying with us this Christmas-New Year only a full year later than planned!

On Christmas Day, nobody around here dared leave home in case we couldn't get back, as the highway was being closed sporadically both north and south of our town, so we invited some neighbours over for morning tea. One of them brought some bubbly, which I can't deny, really did help me relax a little, and they returned the invitation for an afternoon meal across at their place, where the imbibing continued, and we all managed to relax a bit for a while, but it was probably the last time we smiled for several weeks after that!

We had to evacuate three times, on each occasion, for different periods of time, depending on the fire direction and when the highway was closed, sometimes for several days. It was a really eerie experience, at the height of our holiday season, seeing authorities tell holidaymakers to: get out of here! go home! Now! and long lines of cars queued up at petrol stations to get fuel to drive back home, but a number of these petrol stations couldn't provide fuel as they had lost power! 

Every time we had to evacuate, we thought we had seen our home for the last time, and are still quite amazed it survived. Certainly we were more fortunate than many hundreds of other people who lost everything, not to mention those who died, and the billions of animals that perished in those few weeks across our state alone!

When the fires had taken their toll in our region, the fundraisers started up, and we attended everything we could to help those less fortunate than ourselves. One of those was to help farmers who had lost stock, fencing and feed: it was called "Buy a Bale", and when a friend of mine in Scotland heard about this, she said she and a friend wanted to donate 150 pounds between them. What wonderful friends!!!

I was very fortunate too, that my little business qualified for a small government grant due to loss of business throughout the holiday season, and this was adequate to compensate me for my losses. 

Then, after the two months of non essential travel due to the Covid issue, from 1st June, my B and B was inundated with bookings, many mid week as well as weekends, which is not so common in our winter, but I ended up having to block out extra days between bookings for a bit of breathing space! We have been booked steadily ever since, and these summer holidays commencing this week, we are fully booked to the end of January, not even a single available night has been left unaccounted for. After 5 1/2 years, while doing pretty well, still, this is a first! So I am rushed off my feet now, and grateful for it, if exhausted.
I am just incredibly grateful that we got through this horror episode with the support of wonderful townsfolk helping each other out, and many beautiful guests who were keen to come back to stay again and help contribute to getting our tourism economy and so much more, back on track. Another, more recent plus that I have noted is that our wildflowers have never responded so well as they have to the extremes of last summer, nor have we ever had so many deafening cicadas!

We have only just had our borders opened up again to other states, so I expect to see the demand continue for some time yet. One news headline the other day suggested that many popular holiday towns in our state are virtually hanging out 'No Vacancy' signs at the entrance to the towns! very relieved to see these guys in the nextdoor paddock after fire took out much of the surrounding habitatvery relieved to see these guys in the nextdoor paddock after fire took out much of the surrounding habitatentrance to a popular resort just north of our townentrance to a popular resort just north of our townone amazing moment, returning to see our home still standingone amazing moment, returning to see our home still standing

28 Replies 28
Trudie7
Level 6
Sydney, Australia

We are based in Sydney so even though felt the affects of the fires we didn’t have the harrowing experience you had. One silver lining now a year on, is with no overseas travel due to the pandemic, everyone is wanting to explore their own backyard. This must be a welcome blessing for so many small holiday towns in our state that were affected by fires last year and not able to have guests stay. Such lovely news that they are now hanging out 'No Vacancy' signs.

Bronwyn38
Level 10
Wandandian, Australia

Ha, yes, @Trudie7 the turn around now with such great demand is a real plus for we hospitality folk, and living rurally when not threatened by those dreadful fires, life is a lot less tricky in Covid related times. I have had so many coming down from Sydney and Canberra, just so glad to have open space to wander and enjoy serene views and let their pets have a good run around. Glad to be able to offer this welcome alternative! Have a lovely Christmas and New Year, Trudie!

Laura2484
Level 10
Ohope, New Zealand

As your neighbours across the ditch @Bronwyn38 , our thoughts are with you all. May there be some reprieve from your Summer heat that causes these infernos and such peril , to yourselves & wildlife.

We will never know these realities of bush fires , but we can relate in the human courage that pulls through when needed.

Thank  you for sharing your post.

Your kind words of support are very much appreciated @Laura248 ! Not even Australia had ever witnessed the likes of the fires we saw last summer: a total nightmare is an understatement, and the estimated loss of animals as well is totally devastating... Very much hoping we don't go through this again regardless of what climate change throws at us... Wishing you a very happy and peaceful festive season. Bronwyn XX

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Bronwyn38 

Thanks for sharing! You have really had a challenging year!
Really amazing the picture of your home still standing. I can imagine how reliefing it was to see the house standing.
I love the picture with the kangoroos.
I wish you well and success in all your current and future ventures.

Yes, @J-Renato0 it was an experience I certainly hope our state does not have to endure again, it left so many scars on both the landscape and our minds, and we were among the luckier ones! Wishing you and your loved ones a very happy and safe 2021.

@Bronwyn38 i loved reading your message Bronwyn. Fires are sadly one of the biggest risks in California so much of what you wrote resonated. Though nothing has been as apocalyptic as the fires in Australia this year, we were very close to the Wolsey Fire that destroyed so much of the Santa Monica mountains in 2018. We had to evacuate and trying to pack what you care most about in to one car was so difficult. My boys didnt quite get it - one filled his suitcase with water, another with his fire blanket from school! I had to explain we were evacuating AWAY from the fire! But the following spring we had the most incredible wild flowers. Nature truly works in incredible ways.  I am so delighted to hear your bookings have come back in force. I hope 2021 continues bringing guests and keeping you safe. Warm wishes, Catherine

Bronwyn38
Level 10
Wandandian, Australia

Thank you so much for your response, @Catherine-Powell - I admit I have been mindful of the dreadful fires across California this year, knowing only too well how dreadful that is... I am just hoping now that a localised Covid outbreak on Sydney's Northern Beaches area does not impact on more than the one booking I have lost already... the poor lady was booked in with us this time last year, but the fires said NO, so she rescheduled to Easter, and Covid said NO.... and now, hoping it was 3rd time lucky.... not to be... Covid has again said NO! All residents in her area must remain at home except on essential errands... I feel so sorry for her, and of course gave her a full refund immediately.. it was the least I could do. I love this place so much, and it is very sad to think they cannot be here with us now as planned, enjoying the serenity and relative freedom from all that stuff... that is, unless Sydneysiders bring it down to our region over the holidays. This is an extremely popular holiday area in summer, and we will all have fingers and toes crossed that nobody leaves us a legacy we could well do without.... Stay safe and wishing you and your family a truly joyous festive season!

Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute @Bronwyn38 

Many thanks for sharing with us this beautiful and interesting post 

Thanks, 

Miloud

Bronwyn38
Level 10
Wandandian, Australia

Thank you for your kind feedback, @Miloud0 ... I am very relieved to report that THIS 2020 Christmas Day has been far more relaxed and enjoyable... overcast but bushfire free.... which is absolutely wonderful! I hope yours was great too!

Salute @Bronwyn38  

Thank you so much for your message 

Thanks, 

Miloud

Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute @Bronwyn38  

Happy Holidays 

Thanks, 

Miloud

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Bronwyn38  I hope the year 2021 & beyond brings you more Silver Linings and tranquility in life.

As we were wandering through the beautiful Parnell Rose Gardens here in Auckland a Rose with the name Hi Ho Silver Lining appeared in our tracks.

This Rose reminded me of your story and the challenging year you have been through over the seas in Australia.

May it help bring you healing in your life in times of need.

I wonder if through the devastation of the fires that nature that has previously laid at rest springs to life again like the White Poppies did in Greece where the fires were in the late 1800's

Hi Ho Silver Rose, Parnell  Rose Gardens, Auckland, New ZealandHi Ho Silver Rose, Parnell Rose Gardens, Auckland, New Zealand

@Laura2484 @J-Renato0 @Catherine-Powell @Miloud0 

@Trudi7 @Kath9 @Robin48 @Cathie19 and others in Australia

thank you so much for your kind thoughts, @Helen427 ... in fact, I have a little enclosed rose garden that I call the 'Reflection Garden' where guests can go and have a bit of private time if they need it, or just sit and look east towards the neighbours' dam in the distance and just ponder.... My beloved aunt's ashes are in this garden, and it was created from a legacy she left me when she died, so it is a very special little place for me, and I am so very glad both the garden and I are still here together! I hope 2021 will be a very good year for you, and thank you again for your lovely words. Kindest regards, Bronwyn xx