Day 16 - Try Fufu and Groundnut Soup, a Ghanaian Delicacy

Rita2164
Level 4
United Kingdom

Day 16 - Try Fufu and Groundnut Soup, a Ghanaian Delicacy

Screenshot 2021-12-14 at 19.34.43.png

I remember my Christmases spent living with an Aunt which consisted of Groundnut Chicken soup and Fufu.  Fufu is a kind of dumpling made out of cooked pounded green plaintain/cocoyam and mixed with cassava.

It is traditionally pounded with a wooden pestle and mortar.

The Groundnut soup is spicy and very delicious and at Christmas it would include Chicken although it can be made with a variety of meats.  We also added Okro a vegetable which I enjoy as well.

In addition to having Turkey and trimmings I also look forward to having Fufu and Groundnut soup  over the festive season.

https://www.pulse.com.gh/lifestyle/food-travel/diy-recipes-how-to-make-the-perfect-ghanaian-chicken-...

11 Replies 11
Laura
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Wow @Rita2164 , this dish sounds amazing! I love plantain and cassava on pretty much everything...

I'd love to have a go on trying to prepare this Ghanaian Delicacy 😍

-----

Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad // Por favor consulte as Normas da comunidade

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

It's a shame we can't go to the office when you make this @Laura - that way I could try it. Thanks for sharing @Rita2164 - I know what I'll cook on the weekend 🙂 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Rita2164 this looks incredible!

Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

My best friend is from Ghana. I'm proud to say I've had both fufu and groundnut soup!

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

Oh @Rita2164 that dish looks gorgeous!  When my children were growing up in Brooklyn, a friend used to make us Ghanaian food like this and I really miss it.  Thanks for the recipe!

Tanar1
Level 2
Fort Washington, MD

Being Ghanaian I love this post! Share our culture! Don't forget you eat this dish with your hands, scoop the fufu and dip in the soup. Enjoy!  😃 

@Rita2164  I see you have property in East Legon. I have two properties we are finishing in the area. let's connect!

Alright Tanar. 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Nice @Rita2164 

What is the weather usually like in Ghana for Christmas?

Hi Helen

I host in Accra and currently it is 32c Humidity 44% Wind 8mph with Haze

Flavia202
Level 10
Kingston, Jamaica

Looks delicious, @Rita2164 ! Thanks for sharing.  We too have Okro in Jamaica.

Hi Flavia

Indeed there is a lot of shared history and culture with Ghana and Jamaica including the Ananse stories and rice and peas (Waakye).