Day 18: My Story with Airbnb | Empathy is the word! Earning some money is consequence!

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Day 18: My Story with Airbnb | Empathy is the word! Earning some money is consequence!

How I got to Airbnb website and then jointed it:
It was a friend who was not host that introduced me to Airbnb. It was in the end of 2013. I lingered for a while to list one property in Airbnb, but eventually I decided to do it.

Top points that makes me like Airbnb
At a first glance I loved the website, the attractive design and it was good in terms of usability. However, what I liked the most it was the fact that, the host was allowed to review the guest! It was a new thing. No other website of accommodation sector, as fas as I knew, would allow the host to review the guests. It was good for both, guests and hosts. It creates a good enviroment to do business. It is a relation based on trust.

My first guest
I do not remember precisely, but I think it took me about 1 month to get my first guest. It was a brazilian couple from the north of the country that needed accommodation for about 15 days in Rio.
In the first message the guest asked me - "I see you have no reviews. Why? (It would mean - Why should I trust in you?)".
My answer - "I am new in Airbnb and if you book my property you will be my first guest!" 🙂 and I also have said - "I see you also have no comments in your profile as well. Certainly you are also new in Airbnb. If we have a deal, you will have to trust in me and I will have to trust in you! 🙂 ". He booked, and that is the way I got my first guest via Airbnb!

Many surprises
By dealing with accommodation I have had many surprises regarding guests! I have notice that, some Germans are so talkative like Italian people!
Before joining Airbnb, I had never hosted Russian guests! To my surprise, the russian guests are very friendly, communicative, and easy to deal with. I have a russian guest that have booked one of my properties 4 times! 🙂 There are guests from other parts of the world that has returned as well.
If the host do the right thing, accomplish with what it is offered in the listing, everything usually goes well.

Empathy
I love travelling when I can and talk to people from different countries. To me it is an enriching experience! When I travel I love going where the average citizens goes. I am not very fond of traveling like a tourist (being guided all the time in tourist package). Hop on hop off only as a last resort! Sometimes it is inevitable when time to stay is short and the city is too big. I like taking bus, tram, underground, uber, taxis and having coffee and meal in cafes and restaurants where the locals go.
So I have empathy with the Airbnb guests that usually are more more similar to an independent traveler than tourist! Anyway if they are tipical tourists, they are equally welcomed 🙂
When I and my wife travel, we usually are welcomed.
With the guests we do the same. I put myself in the place of a guest when planning an accommodation and preparing it. I welcome the guests at the moment of checkin and explain the basic things as briefly as possible. I do not like to impose my presence. Usually the guests are tired after a long flight. If they need more information and want  tips about the city, I gladly explain to them what they want to know. That is my way! I have had many guests that have booked with us again. Some of them even became my friends.

Targeting the right guest
I think it is also important not to create false expectations. I want to pass the message that my listings is suitable to informal and easy going people. Meaning, people who want to enjoy the city and stay in an comfortable place at reasonable price, with everything they need around without spending lots of money on a luxorious place to stay.

23 Replies 23

Some guests and the experience of hosting them are really unforgettable @Rebecca160.  Time goes by but it always comes back in our memory. And a great surprise is when some of them book again 🙂

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@J-Renato0 Nice to read of your start and how you built the beginning of trust with that first guests. Good for you!!! all the best and many blessings, Clara

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hello @Clara116

Yes, I think that saying the truth always brings confidence. I like your posts with positive and good messages.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Lovely post @J-Renato0! I was also introduced by a friend, however, he was a host already :-). Little did I know that the experience of being a host on Airbnb would be so nice. 

I was a little bit nervous when my first guest was due to arrive! 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hello @Quincy

I still get a bit nervous when the next guest is the first one from some different country from the countries of the average guests... for example, I have never had chinese or japanese guests! So, certainly I would be a bit nervous! 🙂   

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@J-Renato0

Jóse, you are a very perceptive and fine host.....which is most unusual for a Brazillian! ;-))

**we have had a few come and go here in the community centre over the past few years. But you mate, bring a really nice level- headed approach with you from your hosting! Your guests think you are the 'bees knees' and if I was ever fortunate enough to host a dinner party for the great inspiring people I have met through Airbnb, there would be a seat for you at my table! 

I hope you and Ana have a wonderful Christmas season and look forward to conversations with you in 2019. All the best mate.

Cheers......Rob

**[Inappropriate content removed - Community Center Guidelines]

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hi @Robin4

I like this quote: "If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way." - Napoleon Hill
It is what I have tried hard to do. I think I can not do it in a great way, but I can do it at least in a satisfactory way! The other option I have is to give up! So, I have to go on 🙂

Thank for your words! Honestly speaking, I do not consider my self a "bees knees"! I am more similar to a humble "pint of beer" or "can of coke" host. The "bees knees are You, Huma, Sarah, Rachel, Branka&Silvia, Cathie, Rebecca, Clara and manny others that knows everything about hosting and Airbnb.

To me it was a long way before achieving the superhost badge. I think it took me more than  1 and half year. Maybe more.
Cant help saying Quincy, Lizzie, Gaby, Francesca are the "bees knees" in termos of Community Manager!

I did not know that Brazilians hosts (that has visited this community) were seen as hothead and impulsive. I am afraid, I think we can not generalize.
Brazil is a huge country with lots of cultural influence. I think it is difficult to put everybody in the same basket.
Sometimes it is a burden to carry the steroptypes about being a Brazilian. I may write a post (if so by opening another topic in a future) about those stereotypes to confirm what is true and to demystify the stereotypes that are not true or that can not be applied to anyone of us.

It would be an honour to me to have a seat at your table. If some day you visit Brazil, I would be delighted if you sat at my table!
Robin, I wish you and your family a merry Christmas and good new year.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@J-Renato0  Oh, most of what I know about hosting has been gleaned by reading this forum, rather than personal experience, but thank you for the kind words.

The only stereotype I have in my mind about Brazilians is that they tend to be quite good-looking people! To my eye, there are nationalities that boast more physically attractive people than others.

But as far as stereotyping nationalities as far as their temperaments or personalities, I've found that judging a culture based upon those you meet who are traveling, is not at all representative. Most of the populations of all countries everywhere in the world aren't international travelers. Many people haven't gone farther than a 100 miles from their own town. People who travel tend to be more outgoing, more adaptable, more curious, and may have incorporated ways from other cultures where they've travelled into their own beings, just by osmosis. They almost have as much in common with other seasoned travellers as they do with their own countrymen.

Mariann4
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

Nice read @J-Renato0 🙂

I honestly have to say that I can't remember who were my first guest... I remember who booked first though. I went on texting everyone - Someone booked at my place!!!- 😄

They were very nice, experienced Airbnb'ers. I went out of my way. They were very content and "would love to come back if ever in Norway". And gave me a 4*.... I later learnt from CC that I should expect it from that nationality. Trying not to generalize! But same happened with next group from the same country.

Thank you for sharing 🙂

Mariann 🙂