Day 19 - An Advent Calendar of Kindness

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

Day 19 - An Advent Calendar of Kindness

The Christmas season is a time for giving, we’re told: if you watch TV, listen to the radio, browse online, or read a newspaper, you’re constantly being reminded to buy, buy, buy for your loved ones for Christmas. But of course spending our money isn’t the only way we can give at Christmas (or anytime, really).

Some of you may have read or heard about a recent initiative at a school in County Cork in Ireland, where students were given a break on homework for the month of December, replacing the time spent hitting the books with acts of kindness for their friends, family members, neighbours, strangers – and even themselves. You can read more about it in the Irish Post: https://www.irishpost.com/news/irish-school-replaces-homework-acts-kindness-reason-somebody-smiles-t....

So what can we do over the Christmas season, when so many of us already feel stretched to the max in terms of money and time commitments? This year, I decided to try a kindness advent calendar: rather than putting specific acts on specific days, I just wrote down a list of ideas and chose one daily. It doesn’t have to take any money or much time out of your day: little things can mean a lot.

Here are some of my ideas:

• I cleared out my closet of coats, mittens, and hats that didn’t fit or weren’t being worn anymore and donated them to our local clothing bank.
  • Remember that food banks will often take a wide variety of donations: if you always get gifts of personal care products like soaps, moisturizer, shampoo, etc. that you don’t like, maybe someone at a local shelter or food bank would appreciate it.
  • This one is my dad’s, who’s a volunteer director of a food bank: he invited clients who will be alone over the holidaysto come to our family Christmas dinner.
  • Pay a compliment.
  • Pay for the coffee of the person behind you in the drive through line.
  • Leave a note for or send a card to someone you care about.
  • Clear the snow off of a co-worker’s vehicle or shovel a neighbour’s sidewalk.
  • Donate to a charitable cause you care about. Giving charitable gifts can also be a great gift idea for those people on your Christmas list who have everything they could possibly need.
  • Run an errand for someone who doesn’t have a car or has difficulty getting out.
  • Call or text someone you haven’t spoken to in a while.
  • Pick up a few pieces of litter while walking the dogs.
  • Take some time for yourself: even taking 30 minutes out to read a book or watch something on Netflix can be an act of self-care during the holidays.

I would love to hear your ideas for random acts of kindness, or what you’ve done for charity or a friend or neighbour this holiday season. It’s amazing how far little acts can spread.

I wish you all a happy holidays, and may you have a healthy and prosperous new year in 2020! Happy hosting.

8 Replies 8
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Thank you @Alexandra316  for this important reminder at this time of giving. You’re right, kindness doesn’t have to cost anything, for like a smile, we get more from giving it then the receiver. The act of self kindness goes too often, unattended. So my immediate response is to wish you a wonderful Christmas Season and the skill set to practise that self care and kindness on yourself. 💕 if it’s already happening, the. You are a legend! 

For me, I have a number of ideas regarding kind acts, but they won’t read so well if I write them here. I’m tired and it’s midnight, so practising your advice and my own: “Adieu and sweet dreams!” xxxx I’ll see you tomorrow.......

Laura2484
Level 10
Ohope, New Zealand

An Advent Calendar of Kindness - thank you for sharing your post and ideas @Alexandra316 , @Cathie19 . Kindness connects people and makes it a better place to live !

Wishing, you all a joyous festive season filled with fun and laughter🌲😀

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Lovely post, @Alexandra316

It's a fantastic initiative that was brought in by the school in Clonakilty. They've been doing it for a few years now, and lots of other schools have followed suit. The kids love it, of course, because they don't have to do homework for the whole month of December, but also they learn how much joy and happiness they can bring to others - and themselves - simply by carrying out little acts of kindness. The best education they'll ever get!

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Joyeux Noel, Feliz Navidad, Yuletide Greetings, Joyous Kwanzaa to all, and from my family to yours, wishing you peace, love, comfort and joy for the festive season, and for the year ahead. 💜

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Alexandra316  Thank you dear and giving great examples of giving and thinking outside the box. We need these reminders esp. at times like this.  Lovely post - all the best and many blessings to you and yours. Clara

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Icy roads and not enough sleep and someone in front of me bought my coffee at a 401 ONroute recently, @Alexandra316 . I nearly wept when the clerk told me. Which meant I was at the point of needing a small nap before hitting the road again...

Love your list! 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks @Alexandra316 @Lawrene0 @Clara116 @Susan17 @Laura2484 @Cathie19 

May the gift of giving continue throughout the year.

It only takes a moment to say Hello and ask a stranger how they are wherever we are.

Take time to say an extra special thanks to those working in retail who have to put up with people's many varied moods that seem to be more challenging at Christmas time.

Toot and give a friendly smile &  Royal wave to anyone who may be aggressive on the roads, or give them the carpark you are both wanting 🙂

They can only smile back!!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Alexandra316 

Thanks Alex, a lovely and timely post, but I expect nothing less from you! At the risk of intruding can I please add a couple to your list.

1. Give a cheap bunch of flowers to an elderly neighbour! They so love flowers and the joy it will bring to their day will, to them, seem like winning the lottery!
  2. Ring your kids and tell them how much you love them! On Tuesday I got a phone call to say one of my best friends is on life support. His heart stopped beating for 16 minutes and the prognosis does not look good. Too late, never lets you know in advance! 
  3. Send a greeting card to someone you don't know.  I sent a card to a random person in the Ukraine who was having issues on a blog site and a month later I got a parcel with a lovely hand made silk scarf and this card.......

001.jpg

002.jpg

Random acts of kindness have a habit of being repaid......and Alex, Christmas is a great place to start.

Thanks for reminding us possum!

Cheers.....Rob

Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute,

Thank you so much @Alexandra316 for this lovely post. I hope for you happy Chrismas and Holidays 

Thanks, 

Miloud