Day 2 - 2019: Month of Celebration - Why I found out that Airbnb is really for me :-)

Roberta2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Day 2 - 2019: Month of Celebration - Why I found out that Airbnb is really for me :-)

Hello fellow hosts

On this month of celebration, I would like to remind myself why I think Airbnb is really the right platform for me.

I have been hosting for over 3 years, and I am a home sharer - I rent out my spare room. From the odd "1 nighter", to the repeat guest, to long erm Guest - I believe my longest was 4 months (A lovely german student in London for a work experience, that ended up referring me to other  students from her university).

Things I learned:

- To be patient

- That I love London and enjoy sharing the city with the guests

- That Airbnb offers me the flexibility to "have a break" - both to be by myself, as to have the room for friends and family

- That I love learning about other people's traditions, food habits, and cultures (but still can not stand kimchi, sorry people from Korea) 🙂

What did you learn since becoming a host?

20 Replies 20
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Such a lovely topic @Roberta2. It's wonderful to see how much joy you get from hosting. As a fellow Londoner, we want to be proud of the city we live in and as a host you are a great ambassador for this. 

Thank you for sharing and congrats on three great years of hosting. Here's to the next three. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

A wonderful post @Roberta2 ! Your longest guest was 4 months?! I would need a masterclass in your patience to pull that off :))

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Roberta2 

Airbnb is different things to all of us Roberta but, we all gain strength from each other.

Your post tells us that Airbnb has made a better person out of you and that is wonderful.

I hope your hosting career is long and successful!

All the best possum!

Cheers......Rob

Giuliana142
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Roberta2 , I agree, it’s important for us to reflect every now and then and see, what did we learn from hosting as well as travelling.

- patience

- modesty

- sharing food, fun times, space

- taking time for pleasant conversations 

- help someone out 

- be kind

- learn from others

Deborah82
Level 10
Toodyay, Australia

Thank you for sharing @Roberta2, very truely spoken.

Loving the Airbnb community and it’s diversity❣️
Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Roberta2  Thank you for such a well written, thoughtful and clever way to describe your airbnb life. Love reading it.............thank you also for opening windows for some of us to look at other notions and ideas and possibilities.  Just as soon as I think I know what someone means, guests especially -- the laugh is on me. So many folks are surprised how often I will ask my family "How do you mean?"  Cause, the answer is truly not what was in my mind. Life is so interesting and people even more so......and when those people are guests even more so................2020 time to get ready for plenty !