Day 2: My favourite guest of 2018!

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Day 2: My favourite guest of 2018!

Hello everyone!

With the year quickly coming to a close, I thought I would reflect and share with you my favourite guest and the interesting hosting experience they brought me this year.

As hosts are we allowed to have "favourites"? I've heard as a parent you're not meant to, or teachers now to think of it...as hosts surely it's fine as our guests don't know where they fall in the ranking (unless you most multiple guests at the same time of course!)

My experience with my favouite guest actually started out pretty badly: she lives in China and couldn't write or speak English, so the Airbnb app (poorly) translated the very few interactions we had before she arrived!

She instant booked, was new to the platform, didn't have a profile picture or any information up and her first question to me was to ask if I would collect her and her husband from the airport! I was planned to be working when they arrived so I had to decline, but I agreed to pick them up locally once I had finished work.

Radio silence for weeks and then a message to say due to a family emergency she would travel alone, and could I still pick her up, of course I agreed and the following evening went to the local station to pick her up- having explained as much as possible how to arrive there from the airport.

She didn't show up! I still waited. 30 mins later I got a frantic call from a taxi driver saying he had a Chinese woman in his taxi, she was crying and gave him my phone number to call...so I explained the situation and he drove to the station to pick me up, and then drop us both at my place.

Even though she couldn't speak English or I Chinese, we still spoke to eachother as if the other could understand and she seemed much better after I got in the taxi. Because I didn't know what she was going to look like as she didn't have a profile pic, I was surprised she was around my mothers age, around 65 years old.

At home we chatted through a translation app, and even though it didn't translate everything quite as we'd liked we communicated well!

I went to work the next day, taking my guest with me to the underground station to buy a pass and explain how to travel around- she wanted to go to China Town, and off we went our separate ways. I worried about her all day! She sent me a message later to say she had bought food and would I like some, so I said yes.

I reached home, walked down to my door from the street to some amazing smells, to find her cooking up a storm in my kitchen, and she had cooked the most amazing Chinese meal for us from scratch, it was so wonderful, and she looked so happy and bright for the first time since she arrived, I didn't have the heart to say that I don't allow guests to cook in my kitchen!

She stayed for 3 days with me, and insisted on cooking for me everyday, she couldn't understand why I was living alone, and was concerned that I wasn't able to look after myself or cook properly as a single man...my lack of a rice cooker very much worried her 🙂

We got on so well, had some brilliant chats through the translation app, and I ate very well for those 3 days...I really felt like I had my mum living with me and not a guest!

That was when I was new to hosting: I didn't manage my settings especially well and I wonder now if I'll ever have an experience like that again...probably not, and maybe that's why I look upon this guest with such fondness 🙂

Feel free to tell me about your favourite...if you allow yourself to have one!

Paul 🙂 

*Part of the Community Center's Month of Celebration

36 Replies 36
Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

That's so wonderful @Inna22 shows us how one good turn deserves another 🙂 

@Paul1255Yes, It's always good to be able to learn from others and the cultural differences. Really, many of our guests, we've found, have enriched our lives. And we thank Airbnb for these opportunities!

Ah lovely @Βασίλης-and-Ann0 that's really good to hear 🙂

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great post @Paul1255. Thanks so much for sharing this. 

I wonder, did you manage to get any of her cooking recipes? 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

You're welcome @Lizzie

I didn't get any! Everything magically appeared ready just as I would come home from work so I didn't even get a look in....but I know I wouldn't be able to create any of the dishes in quite the same way 🙂

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Lovely story @Paul1255! A rice cooker is indeed very important! My partner is Korean/Chinese and when we met she was shocked to find out that I did not have a rice cooker :-). 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

It would appear so @Quincy ! My mum taught me how to boil rice by evaporation, which takes a couple of goes to get just right when you're learning, but works for me 🙂 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Paul1255

I will bet Zhe felt that this was the highlight of her trip Paul....being able to do that for you.

Good cooks love to cook because they feel they are in their element.

I love my cooking since I have had to take over the role as Ade has deteriorated. I am now to the point where I understand the consequences of what you do in the kitchen and I am making some nice flavourful dishes.

I understand entirely how Zhe would have loved that...you were a lucky man to have that experience. Most of us get to taste food made from neccessity.....not from love!

Cheers......Rob

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Oh yes @Robin4 food made with love always tastes so much better 🙂

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Same here @Paul1255

The old school way! 🙂 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Bronwyn38
Level 10
Wandandian, Australia

some of my Asian guests a few years back asked me whether I had many other Asian guests, and when I confirmed that I did, they suggested that a rice cooker would be considered very handy, so of course, I bought one, and very occasionally, it is used and appreciated but we use it ourselves most of the time. Even handier for us than our guests, but it's always available, and I ask Asian visitors up front whether they would like to use it... I have always responded to guests' suggestions as best I can, and the very first one was not long after I set up my B and B. Lovely (serial return guests since then) Peruvian couple who live in Sydney... said my place was their perfect weekend get away from the city, and the only thing missing was a hammock, so, I got a hammock! We have quite a few gum trees on our property including a stand of younger ones that are ideal for a hammock. 

Renmi0
Level 1
Asnières-sur-Seine, France

I'm a Chinese girl living in France for nearly ten years,  a green hand as host for Airbnb, I try everywhere to find the answer to my problems, so I just see by chance your so moved sweet experience, thank you for all you have done to this lady. You are so nice !!! 

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Renmi0 Thanks for you kind words! You’re in the right place if you need help with any of your Airbnb questions 🙂

Rebecca160
Level 10
Albuquerque, NM

@Paul1255 What a lovely story! I am sure that your guest remembers you as fondly as you do her.

Your story reminds me of an event from many years ago when I was home for a break from college. My father was temporarily working with a Japanese scientist whom had brough his wife and children along for the duration. The man's wife spoke no English and I spoke no Japanese, yet she was very happy to give me authentic Japanese cooking lessons! She would pantomine what she needed and very carefully show me how she measured, added and mixed ingredients and together we created an outstanding meal. She appeared to be so much happier and content after our joint collaboration and not so lost in a foreign country. Happy to report that I wrote down the recipes as well as I could and can still produce at least one tasty Japanese meal. 

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Rebecca160 What a wonderful story too!

I suppose as people we are happy if we are somewhere unfamiliar doing something familiar or that brings us happiness.

And well done for writing down the recipes!

-I know my friends find it hard to get a recipe out of me when I cook as I don’t measure anything! (Which is the reason I can’t bake ahaha)