Day 20: What are your holiday movie traditions?

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Day 20: What are your holiday movie traditions?

Screenshot 2020-12-02 at 11.07.28.png

From the many Christmas traditions out there, I find there is nothing better than being with my favourite people, wearing PJs, sitting down to a good movie and letting my tummy work away on that food baby. 

Christmas has come to represent different things to different people, and the movies that take inspiration from (or are taking place during) Christmas reflect that. The holiday movie canon has expanded exponentially. 

My favourite list includes the romantic Love Actually, the horror-esque Nightmare Before Christmas, as well as the action-packed Die Hard, which yes, is a Christmas movie, and that's all there is to it. 

Whether you’re after the warm blanket effect of a romantic comedy, a Christmas classic, a die-hard action movie or a hidden gem that’s as fresh as cookies coming out of the oven, what are your movie traditions when it comes to Christmas?

Thanks 

Nick

40 Replies 40
Anthony223
Level 10
Portugal

Greetings Nick.   I'll be starting to watch movies soon.  I prefer movies without excessive violence, sex and foul language.  I love movies featuring dogs; German Shepherds, Labradors and Huskies.

Have a pleasant Christmas, Nick

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Anthony223 looking forward to any suggestion, so I can add them on my Christmas list 🙂 

Nick, if I see any good ones, I'll message you.  I don't have such a great knowledge of movies yet because I've spent most of my life in the Himalayas, in Nepal (my wife is Nepalese).  But I'm learning.  Some movies which I watch over and over again.

The Bangkok Hilton

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel Part 2

A Good Year

The Holiday

Notting Hill

Spy Game

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Nick

I must admit, I’m a bit partial to the old Dr Who Christmas special, which this year is not till New Year’s Eve! 

Love Actually

Noelle

Prancer - for the kids

Rise of the Guardians

Elf

The Santa Clause

Jingle All The Way

The Polar Express

National Lampoon (if in the mood)

and Die Hard!

otherwise a movie marathon of:

Lord of the Rings

Back to the Future

Harry Potter

Obviously, this list shows I don’t want to have to think.....  lol.... 🎄🤶🏼

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

hahaha @Cathie19 

Who can think on a day like Christmas? Personally my body is focusing all that it has left on digesting, so not many other functions remain active 😂😂😂

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Ooooh! Bad  timing @Nick  - for those in the UK!  - Still they can remember the old temps perdu..... 🙂

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Why is it bad timing @Helen350?

On the contrary, since we can't go out anyway, seems like perfect timing for lot's of food and movies (minus the many people).

Unless something new happened in the last few hours that I'm not aware of, like moving us to Tier 10 where we all get stuck under a dome. Which, might not be very Christmas-y but is very Stephen King-y 😉

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Oh indeed @Nick , could be worse! Makes no difference to me cos I'm on my own anyway, but was just thinking of folks who can't join with families cos too far for a day trip......

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Nick,

My all time favorite Christmas movie is, "A Christmas Story", and I watch it at least 10 times during the month of December.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

@Nick , the local television station, when I was a kid, aired The Wizard of Oz every year on Christmas Day. Not sure why. Public domain? 

I have not kept up the tradition of watching winged monkeys for Christmas. 

Trudie7
Level 6
Sydney, Australia

@Nick Yeeeesssss always partial to enjoying a great movie with the family, especially in the holidays! Mind you during summer down under we tend to spend our beautiful days outside at the beach & not in front of the TV. But just now whilst it’s rainy and we have gone into lockdown again, thank goodness for the opportunity to be able to binge watch many great movies!

Living in a houseful of boys I always love a good girly movie.

- Love Actually (my choice, one of the best)

- Lord Of The Rings (boys choice 😊)

Wishing you all the best @Trudie7, during the lockdown. Hoping it only lasts till Wednesday. 

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thank you for reminding me of Lord Of The Rings, @Trudie7 should definitely revisit this during my days off this year. Can't believe it's been 19 years since the Fellowship of the Ring 😮

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

Like every Christmas and New year, there will be a long, long list of extremely idiotic old movies on all TV channels.

Black Christmas

Mixed Nuts 

Ernest Saves Christmas

THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS

How the Grinch Stole Christmas 

All I Want for Christmas 

Home Alone 1,2 (my favorite, number 1 most idiotic movie of all times)

Elf  

Jack Frost 

The Fight Before Christmas 

Die hard

And of course, Christmas pop concerts...they are not idiotic, they are just terrifying!