Day 21: Filled with Joy - The Guest Book

photodune-7687884-open-book-xs.jpg

Years ago, before I became a host, I was a first-time guest at an Airbnb in Paris. I extended a business trip so I could visit with my daughter while she studied abroad. But I had not taken into account how much two extra weeks would cost me in hotel fees.  I considered an adult hostel, but the idea of bunks in a shared room wasn’t appealing and the price was high for what I would get. After searching I found two solutions: a two bedroom apartment in London not far from Victoria Station, and a beautiful two-bedroom Airbnb apartment in Paris near Montmartre.

The London apartment was marvelous but I never met the person I was renting from. All communication flowed though a rental agency. They were polite and made sure everything I needed was available. At checkout there was no option, to my knowledge, to leave a review. Instead I left a thank-you note in the hopes the owner received it. The following week I took the train to Paris to meet my daughter and was greeted at the apartment by a marvelous woman who gave me a tour of the apartment and stayed to chat. Before I booked she asked to “friend” me on Facebook so she had a better sense of who I was - something I still think Airbnb should consider. From that request I also learned of her travels and things we had in common.  At the end of the trip, she returned to wish us safe travel back to the states and helped me get a taxi when my "high school" French accent wasn't understood by the taxi company. She wrote the most lovely review - my first - on the Airbnb platform.

I thought back on that experience when I found myself using my old apartment only part time. With a dose of healthy skepticism, my husband supported the idea of using the Airbnb platform to test out short term rentals for days when we didn’t have friends or family using it. Within 24 hours of going on “live” we had three bookings. So my husband came up with an idea - a guest book. Now “I” was skeptical. I doubted anyone would see it, let alone use it. But on the table it went, with a handwritten sticky note asking guests to leave comments.

Little did I know how much joy that book would bring. I use self-checkin because I travel a lot, but also because I’m never sure if meeting the owner of an apartment enhances, or takes away from the magic of a vacation. What I do know is how many people were surprised at how much space the apartment provided. Guests left compliments and helpful suggestions. Some write quick notes about the things they’d done. Some write an entire page on their adventures and how having access to the apartment had helped them.

Our first guests were teens from out of state - I know, I know, we’ve all said that renting to teens should be an automatic “no.” But I was a new host trying to build ratings and the mother assured me the teens - coming from out of state for their last hurrah before college - would be polite and well behaved. You know what? They were. I remember fondly getting a panicked call during a torrential rainstorm so bad there were rivers flooding down the street. The teens were 30 minutes away at an major outdoor concert and no Uber or Taxi would come get them. So off my husband went in our four-wheel drive in a storm with little visibility. We’re parents ourselves and we understood the emergency. For that weekend, they were our kids too. The note in the guest book and memories of soaking wet teens who asked us to bring towels so they wouldn’t get our car wet - brings back smiles every time I read it. When they left, the apartment was meticulously clean.

I’ve hosted guests from out of the country and found little gifts left as thanks. I’ve hosted guests who had family undergoing life saving medical procedures nearby hospitals. I’ve hosted guest who were attending weddings, and guests who wanted an apartment so they could cook a meal for their children while visiting from out of state. There’s the mom who left the note that she moved all the breakable items out of her children’s reach and how her son was thrilled I had included kid-friendly games in the cabinet. I hosted a family was visiting for the unveiling of their daughter’s mural at the local zoo and how much it meant to be able to sit at the dining room table and play board games. And now I’m getting requests from repeat visitors who think of our place as a home base.

Yes - I have also had a handful of guests that had me tearing my hair out. You know - the ones who expect the Four Seasons hotel but only want to pay the equivalent of a Starbucks coffee. A friend who works at a local hotel made me feel better after sharing stories of corporate and convention guests who left with the towels, pillows, sheets and irons (who does that?). Those bad experiences are few and far between and pale in comparison to what hotels go through.

What makes Airbnb unique is that we’re building community. I have developed long lasting friendships with two hosts whose homes I booked when traveling this year. One has stayed at my place as well. Her note in my guest book still makes me smile.

And on those days when those rare difficult guests make me ask myself, “Is it worth it?” I read the comments in our guest book. There are so many that we just bought refill papers. Our most recent page currently reads “Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! We want to come back.”

So my tip: Get a guest book. Most hosts don’t think to do it. Certainly there hasn’t been one at any of the apartments I’ve rented. But while reviews on Airbnb are great, having a tangible memory in the guest’s handwriting - with their flourishes and personal touches means everything.
It doesn’t have to be fancy. Just use a journal or small notebook with refillable papers.

You won’t be sorry. If anything, it will fill you with joy.

Notes from Guest Book copy.jpg

24 Replies 24
Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Christine615. Thanks for your really nice post and how the guest book lives on.. I started June 2017 and a guest book was part of my beginning and I meet n greet all guests to the cottage and point out all the high points for them and  maybe the attitude about it helps,....the guest book is on the desk and a real treasure.... almost all guests write in it some over 75 at last count and also leave lovely reviews as well. I don't ask for reviews but they write them. So I am an advocate for guest books and could it be a help for those that shy away from writing reviews? They can read from others. Your stories are heartwarming...so thanks and many blessings and loads more wonderful guests and entrys into our guests books.    Best, Clara

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Christine615 Thank you for your sweet post. I've never had a guest book, but you may have inspired me to have one. I think it really appeals to those of us who are avid readers and writers. I know that some hosts have found or think it may cut down on guest reviews, but there's no harm in trying for awhile to see how it goes. I think it could actually cause some guests who might be prone to complain about things to read other guest comments and realize how petty their "issues" are, leave a better review than they might have, and feel a bit ashamed of their attitude when seeing how much others have expressed their appreciation of you and  your home.

While I've not had a guest book, I put a small basket on the counter/desktop in the guest room when I first started hosting. I thought it would be useful for guests to put their jewelry, phone chargers, coins, and other small items in. In fact, guests started leaving "tokens" in it- a feather, a pretty shell, a heart-shaped bead, a tiny decorated paper with an "affirmation" written on it. So I've just left it there with everything in it. I tell my guests the story of it, say they're welcome to empty it, put the things elsewhere, and use it for themselves, but so far I don't think any have, it just gets added to.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Christine615

I'm with you on this one!

I was actually given a guest book by a guest as a gift (she buys them for all her hosts). I put it in a prominent place, i.e. on the hall table near the front door. Many guests do not write in it. Some even browse through it but don't leave a message themselves! However, enough guests do write in it for it to have started filling up. 

I see no correlation between guests writing in the book and not leaving reviews. In fact, it's the opposite. Almost every guest who has written in it has also given me a review.The type of guests who do not review are the type who definitely don't bother writing in a guest book!

The only downside is that I don't get given cards anymore. I don't mind though as I still get presents 🙂

Mariann4
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

This was a sweeeeet post! 💗💖 Thank you @Christine615.

We have one cabin and have access to another. They have what is called Hyttebok (Cabinbook). Our cabin has been rented to one family almost since it was built in 1985 or so. But the family writes about every stay, what they did, who came along as guests, maintenance done etc. The book is a story of their life! The other book in the other cabin is also a story. But about many more lives.

I have considered, reconsidered and so on about getting a guestbook. Would it be rude to write a note inviting people to read it and write in it but not to forget to review me? I also like the book Gregory is talking about (can someone please tag him to get his attention?) with prompts to answer questions. I'm curious if the questions are printed in the book on purchase or if Gregory have written them himself?

I guess I just began a new lane of considerating...

Mariann 🙂

@Mariann4  I don't see anything rude about reminding guests to leave a review. I do it all the time, and I've never had a guest seem put-out or offended by it. And almost all of my guests do leave reviews. You could have a nice note in the front of the guest book, or next to it, telling guests how much you've loved reading the entries, inviting them to write in it, and saying that it's still impotant to you as a host for them to leave a review on the site, as Airbnb rates hosts on the % of reviews that get left by guests, something guests are totally unaware of, unless they are hosts themselves.

Thank you @Sarah977. I guess it's my Norwegian modesty that stops me from asking. We have a culture of not wanting to bother anyone. It is often viewed by new inhabitants, exchange students and tourists as rude itself. But really we are just brought up to leave people be. It has funny enough lead to the expression of "The Norwegian arm"...

A compromise with a nice note in a guestbook might be the good idea for me:-)

Mariann 🙂

KristinandDan0
Level 3
California, United States

Christine,  we love your post.  We have guest books in both of our properties.  Most guests leave a review even if they write in the guest book.  We include a reminder to share in the guest book as well as leaving an Airbnb review in our checkout tips.  Perhaps that is why we haven't seen any issues with lack of reviews that some hosts have mentioned in their comments.

Guests have so much fun with the book and appear to enjoy sharing thier trip experiences for the benefit of others.  The drawings and sentiments shared on the pages of the guest books warm our hearts.  Our properties are self-check in and this is part of our "conversation" with our guests. 

Recently, one guest commented on the previous guest's apology for breaking a lamp (with a drawing of the broken lamp on the guest book page).  The next guest drew an arrow to the previous note and  stated that the home was cleaned so perfectly and all lamps in place such that one would never have known that an accident had a occurred the previous night. That made me chuckle and realize that guests really do look at what others have written.

I would encourage other hosts to give a guest book a try to see if it works for them.  If you don't have a handy checkout tip sheet, create one.  Some guests won't use your tips but many will.

Happy Trails!

Dan & Kristin

Airbnb Hosts since December 2017

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

I have a guest book that Lizzie and Quincy very kindly sent to me as a gift: it's a thing of beauty. People do write in it, but I have to tell the truth: I've never read it. My cleaner says it's amazing, but I can't bring myself to look at it yet. Maybe when more of it is filled, I'll review it. 

@Christine615

Thank you for your lovely post 🙂 

Henry and I don't have a guest book..... mainly because we only host 3~4 guests per year. It would take forever to fill up 🙂 We usually get thank you cards or notes...... and even a handmade photobook as a thank you gift!

Near the end of their stay we remind our guests that since we only host a handful of guests each year the importance of getting reviews is much more significant. A few of our recent guests have said one of the reasons they felt confident about choosing to stay with us long term was because of our reviews and they'd be happy to leave us one for future guests like themselves. 

Edith158
Level 4
Cleveland, OH

I am in the Yes-to-a-guestbook camp.

I have had one on the front hall table and information shelf from the start. About 75% of all guests have written in it, all nice words. All who wrote in the guest book also left a matching review.

I wrote the first message in the book basically thanking everyone for finding me and staying in my house. I also tell them that I thrive on feedback and even constructive criticism.  I have to say that I like the sense of hand written words on paper; it's a nice analog backlash to Digital Everything. I think it is a subtle way to remind guests that even though they booked my house through an "anonymous" online platform, paid with a few mouse clicks and did not meet me (I will stop in to meet them if they request it, though), that this house is a very personal endeavor. I do what I do there to make it comfortable and pleasant for them during their stay and it matters to me!

I like reading their comments about what mattered to them during their visit. I have over 100 pieces of art hanging in the house and many folks will tell me in the comments what pieces they liked best. Now THAT is fun to read!