Day 22: Luckily, I got 4 stars review

Nutth0
Host Advisory Board Member
Chiang Mai, Thailand

Day 22: Luckily, I got 4 stars review

“Today, I just receive double 4 stars reviews from a guest who stayed at my home and another guest who joined my Experiences. In Total, 17 unsatisfied guests that give me 3 or 4 Stars”

Hi all, I come up with an annoying topic: lower star review. I'm sure everyone here already does our best every time that we host. We know that actually, Airbnb systems don’t work as 5,4,3,2,1 stars but only 5 stars mean good and anything that is not 5 stars is bad … truly hurts, doesn't it?

When I received a lower star review, this reminds me of a Zen story about a man who builds a wall and has 2 bricks that are not perfect. Other people come to see and say it is a beautiful wall but the man still says that ‘Look! I got 2 bricks that not in a perfect position. I should tear it down and rebuild the wall!’ 

When I got 3 stars review for the first time, it was written in German. I try to translate on google but it was not clear. Luckily, my first two guests are from German so I message them to help translate and also ask for an opinion.   

Again, I received 4 stars reviews from the 1-night guest. She mentioned that my pillow is too high, actually another pillow is already in the wardrobe but she didn’t notice. I would like to answer a review in Chinese so again, luckily, I asked my Chinese first-time Airbnb user to translate and she did it in a few minutes after I asked. 

Just a few days ago, I hire someone to translate my listing to the Korean language to attract more Korea guests in my area… You can guess …Luckily! I ask my previous Korean guests who already know my place to check words and she also adds a title for me based on her experience at my house.

Kyoung and Manyin, my previous guests who come to our wedding.Kyoung and Manyin, my previous guests who come to our wedding.

Suji & Dajeong, help me check my listing translation.Suji & Dajeong, help me check my listing translation.

From my own experiences, instead of focus on who didn’t give you 5 stars, look for our “Luckily” from a stranger who becomes friends and answer every time I ask for help, a guest we meet who shares their story with us, a guest who flies just for your wedding day!

Thanks to guests who give us lower stars as it shows another side who truly helps us in times of trouble ( or Sorrow ). What you can control is your own mind to not accept the rating from reviews as a personal penalty. Sooner or later, it will happen at some point in your hosting journey. So, take a deep breath and speak words of wisdom “let it be”.

…“Luckily, 95% of my guests give me 5 stars”

…Happy hosting!

27 Replies 27
Laura2484
Level 10
Ohope, New Zealand

Thanks for sharing your post . A topic that will always generate feedback from many hosts @Nutth0 , but I like your positive mantra ' So, take a deep breath and speak words of wisdom' Let It be! 

Your wedding day looks gorgeous , congratulations! 

Nutth0
Chiang Mai, Thailand

@Laura2484 @Thank you very much.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Nutth0  Congratulations  and may you both be filled with joy, love and many years of wonder in this journey together.

Thanks for your post......yes, Let it Be..............no one is perfect and many systems are very flawed and we as people are often very flawed. You are right, don't take it personal, it is difficult to do, but can be done. 

Your wedding looks so lovely and your bride is so beautiful and oh how I love the flowers and everything. thanks for sharing and posting, many blessings, Clara

Nutth0
Chiang Mai, Thailand

@Clara116 thanks, now my wife become co-host 🙂 

Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute @Nutth0

Thanks for this interesting topic 

Thanks, 

Miloud

Nutth0
Chiang Mai, Thailand

@Miloud0 Thanks and hope you doing well! 

Chastity3
Level 8
Orlando, FL

I truly needed to see this post as I anticipate receiving my first negative rating from my current guests. 

Nutth0
Chiang Mai, Thailand

@Chastity3 let us hug you, be strong and let it be. 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing this @Nutth0

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Nutth0
Chiang Mai, Thailand

@Quincy thanks and hope it was not too cold in London. A great time for a Hotpot! ( with spicy soup) 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Nutth0, I'm in the Netherlands right now actually! It's a great time for hotpot but there are no such restaurants nearby here :-(. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Missing that great British cuisine, eh @Quincy !

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Nutth0
Chiang Mai, Thailand

@Quincy haha... As a Thai, we love to carry Tom Yom soup instant noodle to go aboard. Eat it when we miss a spicy! 

Jennis1
Level 1
Spanaway, WA

Remember you can’t please everyone, my husband once told me that there will be 10% you won’t please and wouldn’t be happy with anything you do. I do like your saying “let it be”. My sister also had saying “so be it”.