Day 24 - All we want for Christmas is… (these) songs

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Day 24 - All we want for Christmas is… (these) songs

Screenshot 2021-12-24 at 13.26.42.png

Following last year's tradition (probably not a tradition just yet, but let's just go with it) of writing about Christmas films, I thought we'd turn up the volume this time around and focus on Christmas songs.

Every year for a few weeks during winter, popular music and the charts fall into a time warp. Turn the radio on, and you are transported 25 years back. At least. 

Is the reason nostalgia, or is Christmas music so darn good? Or so bad it's good? Not all Xmas songs are created equal, afterall.

Which festive tunes are worth losing your voice over as you sing them at the top of your lungs? Which are your favourite holiday songs? 

They can be global, local, in different languages or mega-hits we all know and love (or loathe). After the last couple of years, it would make sense to go for some happy tunes to cheer the mood, but there is no restriction - as long as the songs are about the festive season.

I'll do the honours with - yes, you guessed it, the title was a bit of a spoiler - Mariah's ultimate 1994 hit, All I want for Christmas is you. Which one would you follow this with? 

Let's create the soundtrack for our holidays 🎵🎄🥂

24 Replies 24
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

If you ask me, this is the best Christmas song ever 🙂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu7r5Xsg6dc

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand
Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Nick  Probably since I'm a child of the 80's but....

This Christmas, Donny Hathaway

A Holly Jolly Christmas, Burl Ives

Happy Xmas (War is Over) John Lennon

Last Christmas, Wham

Wonderful Christmastime, Paul McCartney

Christmas Cannon, Trans Siberian Orchestra

Christmas Time is Here, Vince Guaraldi

I'll stop there, but I could go on!

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Oh, yes, Last Christmas - Can't believe I didn't lead with that one 🙄 @Suzanne302 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Nick 

I also bizarrely have a bit of a penchant for 'Last Christmas' by Wham! Maybe because it reminds me of my early childhood.

Anyway, the video I think is a classic example of British 1980s aesthetics (although now they would probably get an acting coach in - I kind of like the hammy-ness). Look at that hair!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8gmARGvPlI

On the downside, it shows how much pressure there must still have been to keep these artists 'in the closet'.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Last Christmas is one of my faves as, like you, @Huma0, it's very much of my youth. Weirdly, tho, my gaydar didn't pick up George was more Martha than Arthur until it was common knowledge.  

Five years since his death, just yesterday. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Gordon0 

I definitely knew since I was about 14 or so, but that's because a friend (the first of my friends to come out) told me that he was 100% certain. 

Yes, it's very sad. Did you know that his sister also died suddenly on Christmas Day a couple of years ago?

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

It also reminds me of childhood Christmas @Huma0.  In Greece, we also like to joke that as soon as you hear Last Christmas on the radio (probably late November), the Christmas songs nightmare season begins 😂

I realise now it's been five years since George Michael's death. The fact that he died on Christmas day, pretty much shows that life knows how to create a legend

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Nick on Christmas eve in Aus there was a programme TV about the song "Silent Night". It gave the history of the song, it is recognised by the tune and is sung around the world. When looking up the meaning of "Silent Night" stillness, quiet, calm and is the time for reflection and spiritual longing of peace. I feel at this time of year we should all take time and refect on our own lives, those that are closest to us and take the positive thoughts from this year into the next.   

Jennie131
Level 10
Rapid City, SD

Why on earth was I tagged in this? Please NEVER tag me in anything like this again.