Day 24 - The Best Place to be to Escape the Festive Season Rush!

Laura2484
Level 10
Ohope, New Zealand

Day 24 - The Best Place to be to Escape the Festive Season Rush!

So here we are the day before Christmas and the Festive Season is in full swing,rather than join  the queues of people at supermarkets, shopping centres or traffic congested roads , my family and I decided to take a picnic and escape for a spell.

Our otherwise small seaside village of Ōhope where 3500 locals call home, visitors flock to spend their summer holidays here. They arrive in car loads  and camper-van loads with trailers attached ,towing boats , filled with camping gear , bicycles and everything else possible. 

The Cafes & Eateries are booming with business and all the Campgrounds, Motels  & STR properties are fully booked. It's a hectic time and as many as 4000 visitors stay for a week or two. Our beach is one of NZs favourites and mostly these visitors have been returning here traditionally year after year.

Coming here with their parents as youngsters and with time returning with their own families and later with grand children . It's about family time and connecting with people.

So today we have packed a picnic taken our togs (swimsuits) and will escape to a nearby secluded bay. It is a hidden gem and it is on our doorstep to enjoy.

We have family visiting , wanting to enjoy a Summer Christmas with us and it is always a joyous time. Ōtarawairere Bay is possibly the best place to be , the 20 minute trail walk is worth the steep climb with countless stairs. 

Bush clad with native fauna , vistas of expansive sea views and sounds of the native birdsong &ocean waves crashing is part of this hike . The only way to access this bay is by foot or by sea and we come here often. 

The shoreline is covered with washed and polished shells, with a sprinkle of sea glass that sparkle when wet. Old and majestic Pohutukawa trees provide shade and at this time of year their red blossoms are dotted along the escarpment .

It is a hectic time of year,  the Festive Season rush too, but here we can find our quiet and time to reflect.

We celebrate today with the people we love and it is a poignant reminder to enjoy our family time.

Wishing you all a fabulous Festive Season.

Warm wishes and greetings?☀️?

Laura

Ōhope Beach NZ

Day 24 - The Best Place to be to enjoy family timeDay 24 - The Best Place to be to enjoy family timeŌtarawairere Bay a.k.a Shelly BayŌtarawairere Bay a.k.a Shelly BayBest Place to be to Escape for a spellBest Place to be to Escape for a spell

22 Replies 22
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This looks lovely @Laura2484!

Best wishes from the Netherlands! 🙂 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Quincy  are you on holiday in the Netherlands/ Holland?
I hope you celebrated with lots of Marzipan and Stollen that was not stolen!!

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Helen427, I am actually from the Netherlands! 😉

I have had some delicious Kerststol (not stolen!) indeed!  

-----

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

omg @Quincy that's amazing.

Which part?

Kerststol is also yum!

Did you make it yourself?

I 'm quite partial to Speculaas cookies and Dutch salted Licorice/ Liquorice, are you @Quincy or anyone else here in CC?

I'm loving my Stollen I got gifted.

I always look out for the European delicacies after Christmas when they come down in price as they are quite expensive here in New Zealand

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Helen427 I'm from a small village named Lieren which is in the province of Gelderland. 

We usually get a Kerststol from our local bakery. I'm a big fan of liquorice both sweet and salted, and I am actually eating it as I am typing this message to you (see image). If I ever visit New Zealand, I will make sure to bring you some! 🙂

IMG_1510.jpg

-----

Laura2484
Level 10
Ohope, New Zealand

Summer greetings @Quincy 

Happy Festivities 

☀️

Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco