Day 25: The "Bad" Host; or What your Guests Can Teach You

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

Day 25: The "Bad" Host; or What your Guests Can Teach You

celebration_ideas.jpg

The day that I offered to write a post for this holiday celebration, I created a list of possible topics. Clearly choosing the 25th was a mistake. All my good ideas have already been explored! What to do? I think that I will tell a "bad" host story.

My listing went live at the end of May 2016. My first available night was June 21st. Unlike many hosts, I had worked in hospitality before, both in an upscale hotel setting and at a quaint Vermont B&B. For whatever reason, one of my gifts is hospitality. Now, this is not a gift that I have treasured. I would prefer a gift for language, or higher mathematics, or any number of more interesting subjects. It is useful if you are going to have an AirBNB in your home. So I was ready. The rooms were rearranged for their new purpose. Furniture was procured or moved into the space. Sheets and towels were ready. All I needed was guests!

It turns out that opening a listing at the beginning of the "high"season is really a good thing! The AirBNB chirp was constant. I became like one of Pavlov's dogs, jumping up to respond to the chirp no matter what else was going on. Within a week, I was booked for three full months. One of my earliest inquiries was from a young woman who was starting medical school on August 1st, and wanted to bring her parents to the white coat ceremony. She had been living in Boston for the past year, but had gone home for the summer. Could they have four people for the first three nights until she moved into her dorm, one more than my limit? Could they arrive at 1:00am, long after my normal check in time? She hit several of my soft spots without even knowing it, and I agree to both requests. This family communicated well. We created a self check-in routine– I would leave the door unlocked and the lights on. Once they arrived they would leave their heavy bags on the first floor and lock up before heading up to their rooms.

As I reviewed the room in the afternoon, I was filled with pride, bordering on vanity. There were extra pillows on the bed for the extra girl. The breads were displayed perfectly in the basket. The proper number of plates, mugs and bowls were set in perfect order. The yogurts in the fridge all faced forward and the cute little milk bottle and its cow seemed rather welcoming. It was perfect!

I sent one last message to them noting that their plane was delayed and sending them wishes for a safe trip. I then crawled into bed and fell deep asleep.

Around 5:00 am, I was woken by what sounded like rocks hitting my windows. Rocks! In the city! I went to my office and gasped. There had been 15 phone calls from San Francisco! And then in my sleep-induced stupor... OMG! I ran downstairs and peered through the front door window. My guests, this nice family, were sleeping on the front porch, spread out on their own towels, while the father sat upright watching over his family. I had locked the door! My phone turns off at 11, so I didn't know there was a problem. My stomach sunk. What can you say at 5:30 in the morning to a family that has spent hours on a front porch? Of course I apologized. We brought in their 15 suitcases. I took them upstairs and did not give them the normal breezy tour. They closed their doors and I went to the bathroom to vomit. Never, ever, ever had I imagined such a scenario. These people had looked like the Syrian refugees I had just seen in Istanbul.

I paced the house for hours. What can you say? How can you apologize enough? My brain went to a very dark hole and I just didn't see how I could fix any of this.

The father descended around 2:00 pm. He thanked me for their breakfast and for the tea. He expressed great gratitude to the taxi driver who had tried to help them. He recapped their evening's adventures including the delayed flight. And, at some point during this conversation I realized, I had been forgiven. The mother was a bit tougher to win over, but even she warmed up as the week went on. The night of the white coat ceremony, their final night in Boston, I invited them to dinner. I ordered some grilled meats from my best local Halal eatery. I made tons of salads, and hummus, and yogurt dips. There was laughter and finally someone mentioned the front porch, but it was a joke; banter if you will. After dinner, I was ready to serve some orange-almond cakes when the Mother asked if she could make some tea. She reviewed my tea selection and chose one. And then cheerfully said, "Now if I were home, I would add some cardamon seeds." I put some before her. "Now if I were home, I would grind these in a mortar." That also appeared. "Of course, if I were home, I would add some cinnamon stick." I pulled out three varieties for her to choose from. "Now, at home I add a bit of saffron." And that appeared as well. This was the most delicious tea, but what was really special was enjoying our cakes with tea with a family who had such large hearts that they had forgiven me for making them sleep on a porch.

Every year, in June, this young woman calls. She comes over to tell me about her studies and research. I make her the same tea. She claims that it is as good as her mother's, but I know better.

[What did I learn? Some people are better people than I am. Do NOT lock the door for late arrivals, and when you have a late arrival, do not have your phone on silence. Finally, have AirBNB's phone number in your phone's favorite's lists so you get a different ring.]

I am forever grateful to this amazing family. They taught me what gracious really means.

19 Replies 19
J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Susan151

I read your story with interest and curiosity!

First of all you started it in a different way... showing a piece of paper with some  "celebration ideas"... some of them had been taken by others... including me! 🙂
What happened to you and your guests It was a really very embarassing situation ! 🙂
Fortunately, everything ended well!  It's because you all are very good people! 🙂
I wish you the best and a new year with many good things!

@J-Renato0 wrote:

@Susan151
What happened to you and your guests It was a really very embarassing situation ! 🙂
Fortunately, everything ended well!  It's because you all are very good people! 🙂
I wish you the best and a new year with many good things!

You are right. This was embarassing. I think it was a bit brave to post such a story. We all wish to appear to be perfect hosts. But, if hosts like me, over 200 groups, a 4.99 overall rating, only 3- four stars overall, and only random single nights open, don't admit that bad things can happen, who will?

I believe that this family already knew that I was kind. We had messaged extensively after all.

Happy New Year to you as well.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Susan151

What a great story Susan....that is what this month of celebration is all about, hearing wonderful experiences like that, You had me enthralled every word of the way.

I gained two things from your post Susan!

1/.....It just goes to show, no matter how well you plan things there will always be that one little detail which will slip your mind which will come back to haunt you. It seems to happen most of the time!

2/......What an exceptional host you in fact are! Your guests forgave you, most would have not been so forgiving. You had them instantly warm to you despite having no previous Airbnb experience. That takes a fairly special sort of personality to do that!

Hope this coming year is a great one for you Susan .....and don't worry about being down the list  as far as the days of the month were concerned......With most things in life, they always save the best till last!

Cheers.....Rob

@Robin4 Thank you for understanding why I posted this story. I don't often see Susan and Snafu in the same sentence, in fact I work hard to avoid that connection, but you are right– stuff happens. Being an AirBNB host has taught me to bend with the wind, to have high personal expections, but low ones for guests.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Susan151  You worked hard to overcome your hosting boo-boo and the guests recognized that.  Luckily you had time with them to show them your real hosting style.  I think the real key is to be able to develop a rapport.  Those hosts who are remote to their listing, do not have that same opportunity as those of us who are making direct connection with the guest.  I think guests are more critical of those situations if there is not a good connection..

@Linda108 This was all about a personal connection. I am still amazed that people are willing to buy space in someone else's home! The trade off is, connections on a true and personal level.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Susan151 What a unique and fascinating "new host" story. Mortifying for sure at the time, but just goes to show how things can work out beautifully if everyone is understanding, takes responsibility for their own F-ups, and gives others the benefit of the doubt when making human errors.

Had these guests raked you over the coals, demanded their money back, and given a scathing review, you might not have even continued hosting. 

A big applause for all people, hosts, guests or none of the above, who are adaptable, not afraid to accept responsibility for their own screw-ups, and open to forgiveness.

Linda1213
Level 6
Vero Beach, FL

Susan i LOVE this story! The BIG HEARTS all around. I am just starting on this journey and have already learned so much through this community board. Your story and love of hosting...and the tea will stick with me! (PS...a daughter lives in your neck of the woods heading to Vet School)

LBR

It’s nice to read something positive, @Susan151. Though the one I’m most intrigued is No.5: “Hair – the annoying frontier”. I would like you could be a little more specific about this thricological story.

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Susan151 I read your story and loved it- one of those things where everything is lined up to go wrong, but you managed to turn it around!

But as @Emily352 mentions, I read your list and was intrigued by (and crossed my fingers for) number 5 ahahaha...I wonder if there is another free day for that story to happen? 🙂

@Paul1255

Day 32.  I was just thinking about it earlier today. Okay, if @Susan151 doesn't do it, I will.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aww it's great you wanted to take a day too @Emily352. I wonder perhaps to celebrate the end of the Month of Celebration we could have two on the 31st (I think this could be great)? 

Would you be ok with this @Paul1255

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lizzie I’m happy to give the 31st up, I was only doubling up as there were free days that no one had taken! @Emily352 Or any one else can have it 🙂

just let me know in case you do need me.

Paul 🙂

Rebecca160
Level 10
Albuquerque, NM

@Susan151 What a wonderful story about overcoming what could have been a bad situation for everyone. Your gift as a hospitality host really shines through here.

i am with @Paul1255  And @Emily352 and would love to hear the Hair story!