Day 27 - Urban people seeking silence and how to make them happy

Finn-Olav0
Level 5
Troms og Finnmark fylke, Norway

Day 27 - Urban people seeking silence and how to make them happy

Screenshot 2021-12-27 at 11.47.47.png

We rent out our cabin, which is located in a very remote place. You have to drive several hours from the nearest airport to get there. Parts of the road are very poor but mostly passable most of the year. The cabin is relatively modern and well equipped with most things you would find in a typical home, with electricity, water, a good bathroom, and a very well-equipped kitchen. But it is located on an island (bridge connected) where few people live, there is a limited selection of what you can buy at the local store and as I said, at the very edge of the world… but very close to the sea!

Screenshot 2021-12-27 at 11.47.55.png

We love the place and try to be there as much as we can during the periods when we don't have to pay attention to work and other obligations. We bought the cabin in the fall of 2017 and me and my wife had a few rounds of discussions about whether we should try to rent it out via Airbnb or not. We chose to do it as a pilot project but doubted if there were so many who wanted to come to us as guests… and in addition, had to pay for it.

It took several months before we got the first booking. A wonderful young couple from Austria. After that, it quickly escalated and ran in with bookings; actually, we had to close the calendar in between bookings to make room for ourselves and necessary maintenance. After about a year and a half, we had guests from 15 different countries. How could this happen? At least something we must have done right.

Screenshot 2021-12-27 at 11.48.10.png

From the very first moment, we agreed that we had to give our guests a good first impression when they arrived and at the same time provide the feeling of hospitality and also the sense of having come to a place where you are welcome. Fresh flowers on the table is mandatory to everyone who comes to us. We always offer a personal letter on the table with the welcome greeting and some local snacks for each individual. One must never underestimate the good feeling for the guests to feel welcomed. After having travelled a long journey where one along the way may have begun to doubt whether that journey into the unknown yet was so wise. In fact, we have had guests who have been emotionally touched by finally arriving at the cottage and discovering that it is so nicely prepared for just them, with a personal and thoughtful touch.

We also saw that we had guests from major cities such as London, Munich, Berlin, Singapore and other densely populated areas in Europe and the rest of the world. Everyone loved to come to such a place where one can really "hear" and enjoy the silence. Yes, some were willing to travel to the other side of the globe to experience this, and after a long flight than sitting for hours in a car and driving from the airport on bad and bumpy roads and driving conditions that were completely new and unknown to them.

Since we are located far to the north in the Arctic, the dream for many of our guests is to experience the Northern Lights. In addition, we have invested in an outdoor jacuzzi which is the ultimate highlight if, with the perfect conditions, you can sit there in the polar night with the Northern Lights dancing across the sky.

Screenshot 2021-12-27 at 11.48.20.png

Our decision to share our dream place with total strangers from around the globe was finally making sense, and all this is possible for our guests and us due to Airbnb. To be able to share a place with these facilities entirely off the beaten track, in almost total silence, actually turns out to be attractive to people from all over the world's corners. Our guests just love to come to a place where it is possible to let go of all unnecessary sounds - even if it is only for a few days.

Screenshot 2021-12-27 at 11.48.29.png

I once asked one of our guests who had booked a long and expensive stay with us, how he could do it without having a single question in advance about the place. He replied "I looked at the pictures, read some of your reviews…. And thought that if half of it was true ,,, well then it was worth taking the chance…." He was also pleased that they thought the place was even nicer than they had expected when they arrived and checked in.

From the very beginning, we have always been honest in all our descriptions and the listing of our place, also when communicating with potential guests. It is a great responsibility for us hosts to be honest in the presentation. And if it turns out that the guest's expectations are met and maybe even a little more. Well, then the foundation has been laid for a brilliant review and 5 stars.

It's so wonderful to be able to make other people happy!

Thank you, Airbnb for the opportunity you gave us.

Screenshot 2021-12-27 at 11.48.37.png

Some of my favorite review quotes:
"If Super Hosts go on holidays, they stay at Finn's"
"I haven't slept this well since I was a kid"
"Get ready, this place is going to make an everlasting impression on you"
"Finn and Marianne have created the most magical Airbnb stay"

Happy new year to everyone…!

17 Replies 17
Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thank you for sharing your inspiring journey - and wow, those photos! 

All the best for the new year @Finn-Olav0 

Finn-Olav0
Level 5

Thank you for the invitation… 🙂

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Amazing photos @Finn-Olav0! Thank you so much for sharing this 🙂

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Finn-Olav0
Level 5

Thank you for the invitation…  🙂

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

It looks fantastic 😮 How do you manage everything? Do you live somewhere nearby?

Finn-Olav0
Level 5

@Branka-and-Silvia0 me and my wife do everything ourselves. We need two hours to go there from where we live… ferry included. Of course we also need some space in the calendar between guests to fix everything… but after three years we still think it’s a lot of fun.. 😀 maybe because we always think that we get the best guests.

@Finn-Olav0  2 hours? I need 25 min and think it is far away 😄

Is there some village nearby? A grocery store? I've read the description but didn't find any info about it.

Finn-Olav0
Level 5

@Branka-and-Silvia0 yes there is a small village and grocery store four kilometers from the cabin and another one on the island ten kilometers away… not like supermarkets, but you’ll survive… 😀

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Finn-Olav0  Sublime.  I would love to go there sometime!  When I started out, I too couldn't believe how many people found my places - Airbnb's marketing reach is phenomenal.  My Airbnbs are 9 hours away from where I live, so I can't pop up between guests but have a wonderful team there who are as dedicated as I am (my housekeeper reads the reviews to make sure guests found the place clean!).  I have always loved finding that the peace and quiet people find there makes them so happy.  Thanks for your story!

Finn-Olav0
Level 5

@Ann72 I would love to be your host when you come here for your Arctic adventure… 😍

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Finn-Olav0 The photos of the skys are calling come and visit me. 3 years ago we had the opportunity to take a cruise to the Baltic Sea and had a taste of Norway and is now on our wish list to return one day. Your Airbnb invites people who enjoy nature and want yo be nurtured by the  surroundings and who want time out. 

Finn-Olav0
Level 5

@Laurelle3 You’re absolutely right… sometimes we have requests from potential guests that want to know which activities that is available on the island.. and I always answer them honestly that our guests is mostly outdoor and nature lovers that very much enjoy to explore the nature on the island themselves or simply just enjoy the silence of the nature of its own... 

And regarding your wishlist… we’re ready to host you.. 😀 you will then be out third Australian guest… happy new year to you…! 

Annabelle1
Level 5
QC, Philippines

Hi @Finn-Olav0  wow amazing place! Great photos too. My dream to visit in your country to experience and see Northern Lights dancing.

Wishing you a very happy new year 2022

Cheers.

Finn-Olav0
Level 5

@Annabelle1 Thank you for your kind words. You sould definitely follow your dreams and maybe experience the Northern lights… we would love to host you and then you would be our first Philippine guest😀 and here is a teaser photo shot I did a couple of days ago.. enjoy.. 🇳🇴 And happy new year..! 😀B00249A8-9A45-41EC-A40E-E4DA67468405.jpeg.. 😀