Day 28 : Hosting Practice

Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Day 28 : Hosting Practice

@Lizzie, i thank you so much for choosing me among the participants of the second Month of Celebration 2018  in the Community Center .

Hosting practice is different from theorique one. Before i only had the hosting idea, general idea, that a guest or more, in different times, come to your house, stay in your house some days and after leave the house. It was just a composite idea and could not tolerate disassembly. But after my experience with Airbnb the idea changed. Really i learnt, and i am still learning, that Hosting activity has roles and specific conditions, if one wants to practice hosting appropriately. 

Hosting has differrent roles. In which a host needs to communicate with guests, meets and greets them, cleans, from time to time when there is a so quicke reservation, cook, cause i like to prepare breakfast for my guests...........and so on. Hosting, for me, is a new speciality with different roles, which need a set of conditions, to be hosting in certain quality.

So, hosting requires some conditions, which are neccessary for appropriate hosting. We can define them in four : Discipline, concentration, patience and supreme concern to master. 

1 - The discipline : cause one as a host should have the sense of responsibility for an activity in his life that has special laws, duties and obligations, which he needs to respect and, at the same time, continually develop. 

2 - The concentration : A host needs from time to time to set with him self and think about hosting or how to practice it, things which needs to add, change, develop, learn......or other things, that are neccessary, to some extent, for hosting mastery. 

3 - The patience : is also a factor essential for praticing hosting. 

4 – The supreme concern to master.   It's a kind of interest which make one has the willing for developing  his hosting quality.

I think, it could be a subjective point of view and not objective one,  that these four conditions or factors are, generally, so neccessary for the roles of hosting activity. The differences only depend on the quantity and quality that one uses those conditions for progressing hosting roles, which olso depend on the experience, persons,, cultural deferences,.…….that make them demonstrate in different forms.   

One year and about two months that i am a host, so my experience with Airbnb have made me gain some experiences, which i am sure that it is going to be progressed more and more with time. The more experience one has, the more abilty to develop the quality of hosting practice, hosting roles and and its associated conditions.

I wish you all and for everyone Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2019.

Thanks, 

Miloud

11 Replies 11
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Miloud0 for your thoughtful piece here, your've raised some key points here and I'm sure this will be interesting to new and more experienced hosts alike. 

Are these points things that you have evolved and built on over your time of hosting?

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute @Lizzie

Thank you for the message and question. 

Maybe these point of views, conditions, you can find it practiced by everyone interested in something. And, as you know,  you can find so many host practice theme. About roles, as you know so better than me, are Airbnb hosting roles, for one whom want to be a host.

I chose this topic as an attempt to provide a summary of all, or some, my one year experience, which i learnt from Airbnb, Comunity Center, experienced hosts and my relationship with my guests. Really all was great.  

Thanks, 

Miloud

Rebecca160
Level 10
Albuquerque, NM

@Miloud0 All good points! Thanks for sharing.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Thanks @Miloud0 for your ideas.

I recount them as a host needing:
Stamina, the ability to focus on the necessary tasks, the motivation to maintain everything as new and fresh; and your last idea being to analyse and review our own style and method and make changes for continual improvement.

I agree with these points, but then our personal traits, such as empathy, generosity, organisational skills, eye for detail, ear for understanding and sensitivity for humour are just a few qualities, if aligned- make for a good host to stand out as an individual experience. 😁👍🏼

Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute @Rebecca160

Thank you. 

Thanks, 

Miloud

Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute @Cathie19

Thank you so much for replay. I appreciate your advices.  

Thanks, 

Miloud

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Miloud0

Great points! Nice post! Thanks for sharing!

Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute @J-Renato0

Many thanks for your reply. 

Thanks, 

Miloud

Thanks for this list. I've been hosting for about 18 months and your comments ring true. Mostly I've learned I'm neater because I clean and decorate with guests in mind. Also patience. Most of my guests are fabulous but every now and then I have guests who are demanding, or unappreciative. Even so, I realize most people think of this is a relationship - the most difficult guests assume we are hotels (and making millions of dollars.). 

I am constantly rethinking my space and this process has made me better for it 🙂

Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute @Christine615

I thank you so much for your reply. Many thanks. 

Thank you and Happy New Year, 

Miloud 

Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute, 

Truly, i appreciate your point of view @Christine615 about patience but if it is possible for you, i just mean with patience, my point of view,  the one waiting ability( time) for getting learned and have more experience so more hosting practice quality.  

Thanks, 

Miloud