Day 29: Christmas is time to get creative!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Day 29: Christmas is time to get creative!

Stockwell-SW9-london-houses-028-1200x1800.jpg

Before I started hosting, the days between Christmas and New Year were blissfully quiet. Free from the usual demands of my ‘day job’, and with the housemates on holiday, I could crack on with the more enjoyable home projects normally put on hold. What luxury!

For me, that meant upcycling vintage furniture. I’m a firm believer in ‘make do and mend’, and that has allowed me to furnish my listings in a unique, but inexpensive, way. Plus, it’s so therapeutic. I miss pottering about, paint brush in hand, with newspaper strewn all over the dining table and floor, neither pressed for time nor bothered about the mess.

If you are taking a break from hosting this holiday or find yourself with time on your hands at any time of year, why not get creative? Perhaps you are hanging out with family and friends, but making, baking or painting things together can often be more entertaining than the television, especially if you can get the kids (and pets) to join in.

Painting furniture may not be for you, but there are plenty of other projects, big and small, you could try your hand at. You don’t need to like the vintage look either – just search for ‘Ikea hacks’ on Pinterest and you will see what I mean!

There are far too many potential projects to include in one post, so I’m going to start with the simple picture frame (PS none of the following photos are mine, but I will try to add source credits when I have time). Do you have any old picture frames or mirror frames knocking about where the glass has broken? Or maybe some random ones in different colours and styles that don’t go together or match your interiors? I’m always on the hunt for bargain picture frames because there are so many uses for them.

One of the most popular extra touches in my guest rooms are the ‘welcome’ chalkboards, where I write each guest’s name. If you don’t have one already, consider making one. It’s so easy with an old picture frame, some MDF and blackboard (or magnetic) paint.

368d83b7967f83694241606b788dd27b.jpg

With the addition of some backing, e.g. cork, or wadding and a favourite fabric, picture frames can also be turned into pin boards to display useful information, such a tourist leaflets, maps and timetables. You can add brass bulldog clips or a ribbon trellis and go as elaborate as you like or keep it simple – all chic options in my opinion.

pinboards.jpg

Don’t have the time or confidence to make something out of a frame? Simply grouping them together can make a stunning display.display.jpg

If yours are all mismatched, it doesn’t matter. Just paint them. A trick I’ve learnt is to paint them the same colour as the walls (use the eggshell, satinwood etc. version in the same tone – the smallest pot will do), which looks fab.frames 1.jpg

Haven’t run out of frames yet? Turn them into shelving. Mounting them onto some cheap shop bought shelves or pieces of MDF etc. turns them into instant designer bookshelves (or shelves for any manner of things - I have something similar in one of my bathrooms).

graham and green.jpg

Et voilà! I hope you’ll never look at that humble picture frame in the same way again 😊

32 Replies 32

Go on... be a rebel! Lol..

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

PS 

If anyone wants to try grouping frames together on the wall but is nervous about getting it wrong, here are a few tips:

- Arrange the frames on the floor first and observe from above by standing on a small step ladder or (sturdy) chair. Move them around until you find a composition you like and then take a photo for reference.

- Or trace around and cut out the shapes of the frames in brown paper or similar and stick them to the wall in question with masking tape or something else that won't damage the wall. Again, play around with them untl they look right. Mark the positions with something easily removable like chalk or make very light pencil marks.

goodhousekeeping.com.jpg

- There are loads of different types of picture hooks and hanging optins that cause much less damage to a wall than your standard nail. Heavier frames may need screws and rawl plugs though. If you are lucky enough to have a picture rail, consider buying a kit with wires to hang the pictures from that instead of making holes in the walls.

- Use a spirit level, but make sure to mark the positions for the fixings on the back of the frame. These are usually a bit lower that the top of the frame itself.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Huma0@Clara116@Cathie19@Jessica-and-Henry0@Tif1

Op shops, Hospice shops, Salvation Army and Red Cross shops are fabulous places to frequent and pick up a bargin, including picture frames  for such projects.

They are also the best for donating unused items to.

@Huma0maybe you could do a patchwork type of upholstery covering for your chair however do it so it's removable so you can change it to suit one's mood and decor - also easier to launder.

All the best and thanks all for your great contributions, you are all an inspiration

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Helen427

Thanks so much!

Yes, although I haven't given it a go yet, I think this chair (just the seat pad) will be quite easy to repupholster so I could certainly afford to experiment with it as I can always re-do it if it goes wrong.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Huma0

Great post, great ideas and tips.
Seeing your listings, one can see you have good taste and talent for interior design and also to be creative with furniture.
From my point of view, the ones who books your listing, not only reserve a place to stay, but also enjoy the experience of staying in a beautiful room (in ecletic and  traditional english style), in a victorian house. I believe It is a nice experience to the ones who are staying in London. I also like the model/mockup next to the stair case! 🙂
I wish you a happy new year and success with your beautiful listings! 🙂

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@J-Renato0

Thank you so much for your lovely comments. Yes, I do find that a lot of guests coming here want to stay in a more traiditional, period place, be it Victorian or otherwise. That is the charm of London (and the UK) to a lot of foreign visitors. 

I love old architecture and furniture but I still try to decorate my place in an eclectic style with some modern pieces thrown in.  I think it shouldn't be a museum, but it's important to respect the character of the place.

Susie111
Level 10
Tasmania, Australia

Love your ideas, please keep posting more great ideas!

Thanks🙂

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Susie111!

Yes, I will post some more ideas when I have a moment. When I started drafting this post it was like a novel. I had to cut it down, which is why I decdied to focus on one thing, i.e. picture frames, otherwise it would have gone on and on...

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Huma0

You have such a great sense of style Huma, I bet you just lie in bed at night dreaming up ways to promote your style. You have such a sense of adventure with your colours and your ceativity.

But you really struck me with this post because In all our communication over the past 18 months or so you show in the way you talk and the things that you do, your boundaries, your perimeters, almost as though you feel your life is confined in a frame.

I have this recuring dream, have had all my life. I dream I can fly, it's bloody hard to get off the ground but the feeling of soaring around is amazing. But everytime I have this dream I am in a confined space.....a football field with a high stand of trees all the way around that my arms won't let me fly over, a large hall without an exit I can fly through. There is always something there to show me where my boundaries are. But flying feels wonderful, I just wish I could escape from confinement, and I bet you feel the same way, you just can't wait to frame yourself in something else, another project!

Cheers.....Rob

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Robin4 @Clara116

That's interesting. Unfortunately I very rarely remember my dreams so I have no idea if I dream about flying, nor if I dream of ways to promote my style! As for the latter, I doubt it as I'm pretty rubbish at promoting myself and am the most useless Instagrammer ever. 

I do remember though that as a very small girl, I was convinced that I actually COULD fly. I used to climb up onto the back of the sofa and hurl myself into the air, arms flapping. I guess that split second that I was airborne seemed like a lot longer to me, so I was sure that I WAS flying and that I just needed to practice some more 🙂

It's sad in a way that we lose our childish belief in such things, but I have never had a fear of flying, nor of heights. While everyone else was turning green and couldn't bear to look, I was elated to be in that bumpy six-seater flying over Victoria Falls and I'm the one people always tell to "come away from the edge". Don't worry, I'm not about to jump. Not unless I'm attached to a bungy cord! So yes, I have boundries for sure.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Robin4 Hi fellow flying dreamer.....well, I had to comment after reading your post just now. I completely love dreaming and flying - BUT, I never fly outside and with my arms just down and out slightly to the side I just take a deep breath and I'm weightless and lift on an angle and  zoom up an hoover around - way high inside this very large and high ceilinged place  - it is the grandest feeling ever - haven't had it for a while now - stress keeps me on the ground dang it. And I almost never dream that I remember BUT flying I totally love, and remember in such detail. Thanks for reminding me how much I miss it, and wanna fly every night.

I choreographed Peter Pan for a school in Boston some years ago.................and as choreographer I demanded that I MUST try out the flying rig before the young person - I said for safety- I lied for sure.....it was pretty awesome. 

Then years later - In Germany I decided I'd learn Para gliding - running with a big partial parachute behind me and jumping off a mountain - then when air born I was seated and controlled somewhat as I sailed through the sky - glorious until the wind took me past my landing point over a distant fence and  into a cow pasture much further than all the others I was flying with. All was well and I have these memories. Just wanted to share alittle. Peace and Happy New Year to you and Ade.....Blessings, Clara

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Clara116

So I am not the only insane one!!! But yeah looks like we have the same basic dream, we are never just able to fly wherever, we are always hemmed in by a perimeter of sorts, but doesn't it feel good?

I sometimes wonder about telepathy. When Ade was diagnosed with MS we both started going to these relaxation therapy sessions. I had never been into things like meditation and that stuff but, the first thing we were required to do in the group session was 15 minutes of meditation, just close our eyes and let our thoughts wander where they would!

To me it seemed a bit naff all sitting there in a circle with our eyes shut, I would sneak a peak at what everyone else was doing but, after a while I did start to drift away, more from boredom that anything else and towards the end of the designated meditating time I had this really strong vision of a squirrel running around in a fir tree on the snow covered slopes of Mt Fuji in Japan. Now I don't even know if they have fir trees on the slopes of Mt Fuji, but that was what I saw...... quite vividly!

When the moderator brought us back to earth we each had describe our experience and I was about the fourth of the group that got called on to talk about my experience. I said how I had a bit of trouble coming to grips with the concept of being asleep while I was awake but I said, towards the end of the session I had this realy strong image of a squirrel running around in a fir tree on the snow covered slopes of Mt Fuji in Japan, and this woman on the other side of the group shot to her feet and she said...."I saw exactly that, exactly the same thing, a squirrel in a tree in the snow in Japan!

Everyones mouths dropped and even the moderator thought this was  a real cool development. It sort of spooked us all out a bit!

I am not into mind games but, there is definitely something there.

Cheers.....Rob

This is an awesome post! Thanks for the ideas and the inspiration. We have two blank walls in our space I'm trying to figure out how to fill, and this is perfect.

I also love the idea of framed chalkboards. We have a large white board where we write a greeting to the incoming guest - but I love the idea of putting it behind a vintage frame!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Christine615

Would love to see the photos of your walls if you do decide to decorate them this way!

Nutth0
Host Advisory Board Member
Chiang Mai, Thailand

@Huma0 Happy new year and love your's inspire story. Especially the wall painting with vintage frames.