Day 3 - Much to celebrate, if you look closely

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

Day 3 - Much to celebrate, if you look closely

I hear so many voices around me saying, “2020 sucks!” “This is the worst year ever!” “Screw this! I’m not going to live in fear!” All appropriate responses to a year that has thrown us curve ball, upon curve ball.

Friends have lost loved ones. Friends have lost jobs. And I am acutely aware of just how lucky I am.

We all thought this was going to be over in a few months, but here we are. Life will not be the same. But that doesn’t mean life has to suck, or, that we have to live in fear. Quite the opposite, 2020 has been a year of growth for me. Has it been easy? Absolutely not. But I choose to use this year as an opportunity, and not a lost cause. It’s an opportunity to evaluate what is really important to you. It’s an opportunity to expand your creativity. It’s an opportunity to learn what makes you happy. It’s an opportunity to find creative solutions to problems you never dreamed you would face. The result? You WILL come out stronger.

IMG_6601.JPGIMG_6604.JPG

I began the year believing something wonderful was about to happen. Then the pandemic hit. A month or so later I had an abysmal experience with Airbnb Customer Service which was the final straw, so I put the brakes on hosting. In a dramatic fashion I swore off Airbnb as a host and a guest! At least temporarily. I love hosting so I knew I’d be back at some point.

Early this summer I decided in spite of all the craziness, I was going to continue the year the same way I started it by choosing to believe that “something wonderful is about to happen.” So, I made wonderful things happen. One business that wasn’t affected by the pandemic in my area? Real estate. It was a seller’s market and my cookie-cutter, suburban neighborhood house had no sentimental value to me. So, on the market it went. My house went under contract in four days. I’d always wanted to live in a downtown cottage with some history and character. I looked and that’s exactly what I found. And someone else had already done the renovating!

It’s amazing what a change of scenery and a little perspective will do. I’m in a dream house. I have amazing neighbors and endless sidewalks to explore with my dog Griffin. I’ve strengthened friendships. I have enough projects to keep me busy as long as any restrictions from the pandemic stretch on. Am I living in fear? Most definitely not. Nothing says lack of creativity and unwillingness to change like the person who tells me I’m living in fear because I choose not to participate in certain activities I used participate in, prior to the pandemic. I am being safe and enjoying what life has to offer. And that’s my wish for everyone who has taken the time to read this. Be safe, and live your life to the fullest!

“That’s the way we’ve always done it” is often said to be the most dangerous phrase in business. Remember, “the way we’ve always done it” isn’t the only way to do life.

*I'm not very good with a camera, but Griffin wanted me to post pics of him showing off his new home.

38 Replies 38
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Gorgeous fireplace @Suzanne302 !

@Helen350  Thanks! The cottage was built ca. 1926 and I'm guessing the fireplace wasn't originally like that, but it certainly is a nice focal point in the room and I just love it!

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

It looks gorgeous @Suzanne302 - congrats on the new house! And what a lovely, uplifting post, thank you for sharing. 

I feel like it's really pepped up my day, and it's really great to hear what you've been up to, and to see you back here in the Community - you've been missed!

Griffin looks very happy in his new pad 🐶  😍

@Katie  Thanks Katie! I was hoping to inspire just a bit. And yes, Griff is sooooo happy here! So many things to sniff on our walkies.

Solveig0
Level 10
Lørslev, Denmark

Congrats with the new house @Suzanne302 ! It looks lovely and very very cozy!

Thanks @Solveig0  Cozy is exactly what I was going for with this house!

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aaahhh what a wonderful wish! Thank you @Suzanne302 and also for sharing. It's great reading those wonderful news and seeing you with us again.

The house looks great, full disclosure, it took me a while to figure out what is going on with those blinds; they seem to make a curve of sorts?

Good for you, for not standing still. "Adapt or die" is another business phrase that came to mind, the perfect answer to the one you wrote, and indeed what you did these past months. And what an excellent outcome!

I hope you will create many happy memories in your dream house. Griffin seems to be the big winner here, certainly the proud master of the house.

@Nick  LOL! I just noticed the blinds. I don't have "real" blinds yet so those are paper blinds and the heat was on, so they were being blown by the air vent! And speaking of those blinds, they've been a great temp fix at only $7 each, haha! I have a lot of windows to cover.....

Griffin is definitely a happy boy in his new home. It feels great to reconnect with everyone here in the CC.

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Finally, the mystery is solved @Suzanne302 !

I was trying to figure it out for some time and concluded it must be a design you have at the other side of the pond I've never seen  😂😂😂

Jason1470
Level 10
Port Hedland, Australia

Hi @Suzanne302 

That's an uplifting post. Thanks for sharing, and congratulations on the fresh new start.

There is indeed a lot to be thankful for, and the global pandemic has only provided us with a stark background against which each one of us now has the opportunity to be grateful for all the blessings in our life. COVID-19 also provides us with fantastic opportunities for the future - to hope, to reset our values, to think as a global community, and to prioritize and protect all that we hold dear in our lives - as individuals and as nations.

The phrase  'That's the way we've always done it' has certainly got a big knock on its head, and the post pandemic world will now need to prepare for an alternative approach - 'The New Normal', a mindset change that will be required for the most mundane of our daily activities.

PS - Griffin seems to have a nice little permanent spot by the fireplace 😉

Yes, well said and I agree completely @Jason1470 !

Deborah82
Level 10
Toodyay, Australia

A beautiful wish @Suzanne302 I hope you and Griffin are both safe and continue to live your life to the fullest.

I adore your cottage, the photos are lovely. Congratulations on your find and thanks too for sharing your joy. May you and your good doggo enjoy a long and happy life there.

Life can certainly have its ups and downs, and I’m pleased to hear that you’ve not only has some fantastic ‘ups’ but will continue to do so.

*hugs* from across the pond.

Loving the Airbnb community and it’s diversity❣️

@Suzanne302 

As someone who lives in cookie cutter apartment with absolutely no character whatsoever.... I am very envious of your new cottage 😁 and would LOVE to see more photos 😍 

Thank you for sharing and for the uplifting post~ 🤗

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Suzanne302 , your optimism and others here is truly appreciated, the new place is a wonderful example of why we shouldn't wish our days away (only the covid!!!).   There is still more good to be had in 2020, we just need to look for it.   BTW, is that fireplace truly all stone?  If so it must be some kinda foundation under it!   its very impressive to be sure!   Stay well, JR